Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TSB on Brake Squealing

• Admin

TSB 2/05 W551 W551 – Replacing Brake Pads -- dated 3-18-2005

The affected Vehicle Identification Numbers are contained in the following VIN Ranges:

Model Year 2005, US Vehicles

WP0CA29835U710069 to WP0CA29845U710369 Boxster (987)

WP0CB298X5U730073 to WP0CB29815U730379 Boxster S (987)

Model Year 2005, Canadian Vehicles

WP0CA29815U710135 to WP0CA29815U710149 Boxster (987)

WP0CB29805U730129 to WP0CB29845U730215 Boxster S (987)

This TSB (as well as all other TSBs) are available here to view by our Contributing Members.

My car's rear brakes squeaked consistently and the service centre sanded away the edges in an attempt to eliminate the squealing. They sanded away the top and bottom edges of my brake pads leaving the middle in tact. Visually it is not nice as I checked out other 996 and the discs have no such edge rusting. I worry that if I don't change the pads, the rust will keep building up just like if you wash your car without driving it for a prolonged period that the rust would eat into the disc/rotor. Maybe I should consider changing the pads just to be sure.

I know any rotor/disc will rust even with hosing but usually the rust will be taken care of by application of the brake a few times.

However, on my rear rotors, now there are two distinct strips showing rust top and bottom due to the sanding away.

Advisor said the only way to get rid of it is by natural wearing till the pads are even again or I have to change the brake pads.

Should I be concerned? I mean visually it's not that nice but long term wise?

I wouldn't mind changing pads but at 7000 km is a bit early.

The advisor said on the TSBs, one of the solutions was sanding away the edges another being changed pads. However, he assured me that safety is not of a concern.

It could potentially also be caused my the city driving condition of HK and the "soft braking" habits of mine. I doubt that it had anything to do with bedding in the brakes because I believe that these stock brakes aren't racing brakes and they should be intuitive enough to be bed in slowly by any everyday driver.

Visually, it's really not going to go away not for a while but I worry the rust would build up to a degree that it hardens and get burnt into the disc.

post-8064-1163494882_thumb.jpg

Front disc. No brake squealing at all. Loren for sure you are definitely knowledgeable enough to tell me. The dealer left the decision up to me and of course changing pads at 7000 km is at my cost and I wonder how long it would take for the pads to wear down so even contact can be achieved again.

post-8064-1163495001_thumb.jpg

Edited by ptcja

The front rotors are a different design than the rears. I do not have a VIN list for RoW (HK vehicles). You will need to see a dealer for that.

Thanks. MY VIN wasn't on the TSB list cos I live in HK. I am through with this squeeking and had decided to replace the rear pads at my own cost but this is certainly a bit out of the ordinary to change pads at 7000 km.

• 2 weeks later...

If im not mistaken most squeal is caused when the pad slides back and forth on the rails that hold the pad's "ears" or from the part that makes contact with the pistons. Usually more lube, which is something I didnt put enough on when I put the EBC red stuff pads.

Glazing can also cause squeal however im sure that the cross drilled rotors prevent this.