Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Im a bit suspicious about the mileage on a cheap 99 996C2... does anyone know if there is a way to double check before i go and ask the dealer?

thanks in advance

kelvin

I do not know how anyone could change the mileage on the odometer without getting into the computer and resetting a bit or something. I would hope the folks at Porsche are smarter than that.

How cheap is cheap? Did you do a PPI? , have any maintainence records? and for what it's worth, a carfax?

You can find out where or who the original dealer was with the VIN # and see if thay have any records. They will have the milage and services performed and the dates they were performed. If the car was serviced at at porsche dealer, with a little leg work, you can see if the service records support the milage on the odometer. What does the car have for options? and what is the milage. I looked at a 99 c2 with 105K for $23 k. Is this a private sale?

Good luck

Im a bit suspicious about the mileage on a cheap 99 996C2... does anyone know if there is a way to double check before i go and ask the dealer?

thanks in advance

kelvin

I do not know how anyone could change the mileage on the odometer without getting into the computer and resetting a bit or something. I would hope the folks at Porsche are smarter than that.

How cheap is cheap? Did you do a PPI? , have any maintainence records? and for what it's worth, a carfax?

You can find out where or who the original dealer was with the VIN # and see if thay have any records. They will have the milage and services performed and the dates they were performed. If the car was serviced at at porsche dealer, with a little leg work, you can see if the service records support the milage on the odometer. What does the car have for options? and what is the milage. I looked at a 99 c2 with 105K for $23 k. Is this a private sale?

Good luck

Have a dealer check on the number of engine hours. The mileage divided by the number of hours should be a reasonable number. Don't be affraid of the cheap price... 996 prices have fallen through the floor especially this time of year.

• Moderators

As stated above, the rule of thumb is the engine operating hours in the DME.

I assume you are really in Germany. There are other checks/searches that can be in the US on the internet or at a Porsche delearship, but I have no clue about German cars.

The original DME on my 1997 Boxster with 51,000 miles was replaced last year because it was defective. The defective DME had 1,622 operating hours. The new DME had zero operating hours when it was put in, so the rule of thumb does not work with my Box.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...4331&hl=DME