Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission / Shifting Problem

I bought my 2002 Carrera 2 with 60,000 miles this year which is my daily driver. Although it was shifting perfectly when I got it, I decided to have the transmission oil changed as a precautionary measure even though the service should be done at 90,000 miles.

The mechanic who changed the oil (former Porsche dealer technician), indicated the oil looked "fine" when it was drained and that it showed no evidence of metal from the gears. However, I started having shifting issues soon after having this service done. Specifically, when the car is cold, after backing out of my garage or parking space then engage in 1st gear for the first time, I almost always experience a shudder/bucking of the clutch (as if I am about to stall the car) that lasts for a second or two. In addition, also when the car is cold, shifting into first and second gears was a little "difficult" but loosens up after the car warms up (this is similar to this post: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;hl=bucking).

Last week, I had a local shop change my transmission oil again (at 74,000 miles) using Royal Purple Maxgear transaxle fluid (75W90). The car is now shifting very well with no shudder/bucking in first gear and no difficulty shifting into first or second gear when cold. In addition, the car is shifting amazingly smoothly now. The difference is remarkable.

Possible explanation: I do think that the Royal Purple oil made a difference. However, I also think that the problem may have been caused by under filling the transmission oil. The transmission oil capacity listed under the DIY section for the Carrera 996 is 2.7 liters, which should be the capacity when the oil starts dripping out of the fill hole. I suspect the Porsche technician I previously used only used this recommended amount (2.7 to 3 liters). But the technician I used last week appeared to use as much as 5 liters of transmission oil until the oil started dripping out of the fill hole.

The key is to keep on filling the transmission with oil until it starts dripping out of the fill hole. Otherwise, you may be under filling the transmission which may be the cause of the problems that I (and apparently others) have experienced. Lastly, I do think that Royal Purple Maxgear transaxle fluid (75W90) is definitely a worthwhile product that I would recommend using if you are experiencing similar problems to what I just described.

I bought my 2002 Carrera 2 with 60,000 miles this year which is my daily driver. Although it was shifting perfectly when I got it, I decided to have the transmission oil changed as a precautionary measure even though the service should be done at 90,000 miles.

The mechanic who changed the oil (former Porsche dealer technician), indicated the oil looked "fine" when it was drained and that it showed no evidence of metal from the gears. However, I started having shifting issues soon after having this service done. Specifically, when the car is cold, after backing out of my garage or parking space then engage in 1st gear for the first time, I almost always experience a shudder/bucking of the clutch (as if I am about to stall the car) that lasts for a second or two. In addition, also when the car is cold, shifting into first and second gears was a little "difficult" but loosens up after the car warms up (this is similar to this post: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;hl=bucking).

Last week, I had a local shop change my transmission oil again (at 74,000 miles) using Royal Purple Maxgear transaxle fluid (75W90). The car is now shifting very well with no shudder/bucking in first gear and no difficulty shifting into first or second gear when cold. In addition, the car is shifting amazingly smoothly now. The difference is remarkable.

Possible explanation: I do think that the Royal Purple oil made a difference. However, I also think that the problem may have been caused by under filling the transmission oil. The transmission oil capacity listed under the DIY section for the Carrera 996 is 2.7 liters, which should be the capacity when the oil starts dripping out of the fill hole. I suspect the Porsche technician I previously used only used this recommended amount (2.7 to 3 liters). But the technician I used last week appeared to use as much as 5 liters of transmission oil until the oil started dripping out of the fill hole.

The key is to keep on filling the transmission with oil until it starts dripping out of the fill hole. Otherwise, you may be under filling the transmission which may be the cause of the problems that I (and apparently others) have experienced. Lastly, I do think that Royal Purple Maxgear transaxle fluid (75W90) is definitely a worthwhile product that I would recommend using if you are experiencing similar problems to what I just described.

You cannot fit more than 3 liters in the tranny unless the car is tilted to the right. If he did in fact put 5 liters in it somehow, better get it drained soon or you WILL have some severve tranny problems down the road..

You cannot fit more than 3 liters in the tranny unless the car is tilted to the right. If he did in fact put 5 liters in it somehow, better get it drained soon or you WILL have some severve tranny problems down the road..

The car was not tilted; I watched him fill it until it started to spill out, so I don't know what to tell you...

The car was not tilted; I watched him fill it until it started to spill out, so I don't know what to tell you...

Well, then only one of 2 things could have happened. He didn't put in 5 liters or he used a hole higher in the transmission to fill it through. Believe me, if you had 2 extra liters of lube in the tranny, you would feel it in the sluggishness when shifting and driving, especialy when cold and will destroy the synco's prematurely. I would check it out. Remove the correct fill plug and if nothing comes out, you have less than 3 liters in it.

Well, then only one of 2 things could have happened. He didn't put in 5 liters or he used a hole higher in the transmission to fill it through. Believe me, if you had 2 extra liters of lube in the tranny, you would feel it in the sluggishness when shifting and driving, especialy when cold and will destroy the synco's prematurely. I would check it out. Remove the correct fill plug and if nothing comes out, you have less than 3 liters in it.

He filled it until it started spilling out; I saw him put in three liters using a machine/pump, then I thought I saw him add two more until the oil started to spill out of the fill hole. Of course, I could be wrong. Needless to say, if the tranmission oil wasn't low, then the reason why it is shifting so well now must be due to the Royal Purple.