Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch switch "clicks" - can you delete it ?

The clutch pedal switch is irritating me, it clicks everytime you depress the pedal, and unlike on my first boxster where you could zip-tie it and shut it up, the one on my 03 996 is "reversed", in that it needs to be "extended" to let the car start, not compressed. So the zip tie is not an option.

The dealer kinda ignored me when I asked if I could bypass it, so I'm asking you guys ;-) Can I remove that switch and reconnect the wires so that the computer thinks the pedal is depressed and lets the car start ? Does this switch have any other purpose ? Is there another way to make this "click" go away ? (it's not broken, but I can hear it all the time). I've searched, I can't believe I am the only one anal enough to be annoyed by this noise. Maybe I need louder exhausts !!

The clutch pedal switch is irritating me, it clicks everytime you depress the pedal, and unlike on my first boxster where you could zip-tie it and shut it up, the one on my 03 996 is "reversed", in that it needs to be "extended" to let the car start, not compressed. So the zip tie is not an option.

The dealer kinda ignored me when I asked if I could bypass it, so I'm asking you guys ;-) Can I remove that switch and reconnect the wires so that the computer thinks the pedal is depressed and lets the car start ? Does this switch have any other purpose ? Is there another way to make this "click" go away ? (it's not broken, but I can hear it all the time). I've searched, I can't believe I am the only one anal enough to be annoyed by this noise. Maybe I need louder exhausts !!

Any other purpose?

I've got a 986 and oddly enough, I was going to post to ask why, when the clutch is depressed, the rpms go up about 50 rpm and when released, rpms go down. So, I think it serves a purpose, but why is this necessary?

I can use a zip tie on mine?

I've got a 986 and oddly enough, I was going to post to ask why, when the clutch is depressed, the rpms go up about 50 rpm and when released, rpms go down. So, I think it serves a purpose, but why is this necessary?

Disengaging clutch unloads transmission from engine. Reduced load allows RPM to increase. You can see it more readily on a cold transaxel.

I think it is important and wouldn't defeat it. As well as a start interlock, it is used to kick cruise control off without over revving. Turn up the stereo, roll down the window.

Really? On the Boxster the clutch interlock is separate from the cruise function (one happens at the top of the clutch travel while the other happens at the bottom). I've had mine ty-wrapped for 6 years with no problems - and no clicking ;)

Edited by Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I think it is important and wouldn't defeat it. As well as a start interlock, it is used to kick cruise control off without over revving. Turn up the stereo, roll down the window.

Really? On the Boxster the clutch interlock is separate from the cruise function (one happens at the top of the clutch travel while the other happens at the bottom). I've had mine ty-wrapped for 6 years with no problems - and no clicking ;)

Tom is right, my cruise control comment was about the upper switch, the start interlock is a fully depressed switch at the bottom of travel. Still don't think I would defeat either one.