Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight switch connected to the ignition switch..?

Is there an easy way to connect the headlight switch to the ignition switch -- so that the lights get turned on/off with the ignition, i.e., making it possible to just leave the headlights on all the time without worrying about a drained battery.

-- peer

Is there an easy way to connect the headlight switch to the ignition switch -- so that the lights get turned on/off with the ignition, i.e., making it possible to just leave the headlights on all the time without worrying about a drained battery.

-- peer

don't know for sure, but an easier way is to do the DRL hack. Do a search on daytime running lights in the archives and you'll find the hack which requires all of:

2 inches of wire

2 fuse taps

2 female connectors (for fuse taps)

Perhaps I didn't explain correctly what I'm looking for -- I would like to leave the light-switch in its on position (turned all the way to the right) where the parking lights and the headlights are on, and then when I'm turing off the engine and pull out the key, ALL the lights go off -- including the parking lights.

Since both my MX-5 and SAAB worked this way, I've now burned myself too many times draining the Boxster's battery.

Any help appreciated,

-- peer

I'm not sure about how to do this but you may want to consider linking it to something else like the parking brake, etc instead. Having the load of headlights turned on while starting your car will wreak havoc on your battery and charging system. In addition, when your battery is just about dead and you are in the middle of nowhere with one last crank left, your lights will keep it from starting. No doubt it will happen at the worst time.

If you aren't worried about the daytime running lights and only about leaving them on when you shut off your car, perhaps you could add a loud buzzer that will alert you when you leave them on or open the door.

Just some ideas that may or may not help.

Best of luck.

Faster James wrote:

> In addition, when your battery is just about dead and

> you are in the middle of nowhere with one last crank left,

> your lights will keep it from starting. No doubt it will

> happen at the worst time.

No, you misunderstood. I still want the light-switch to work as before -- i.e., when the switch is turned to the on-position the lights are on, and in its off-position the lights are off. The only thing I want in addition is that the lights will go off when the key is out.

-- peer