Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Flywheel wear, replace with clutch?

When I had my car PPI'd prior to my purchasing the only thing they said was wrong with the car was that the flywheel was rattling. He said that it was not unusual and was part of wear and would just need to be replaced with the clutch.

Is this normal to have to replace the flywheel with the clutch? The car only has 26,000 miles on it now. The previous owner took meticulous care of the care and so have I.

Would the flywheel be covered under warranty?

thanks,

Andy

• 1 month later...

Comments on this anyone?

I didn't have my car PPI'd when I bought it used; However I was given a 3 month drivetrain warranty (which expires at the end of this week). I decided to have my 60K service done at the local dealer (Sacramento, CA.... not where I bought the car). The good news is that they didn't find anything but wear items....... the bad is that my clutch near the end of it's life.

I was quoted ~$3200 for the clutch replacement. I was told it was pricey because they swap the clutch & flywheel each time.

Is this typical? If so, is this price reasonable? As a reference can get the entire transmission replaced in my honda for less (don't ask me how I know)!

As a side note, is there an aftermarket clutch that's the hot ticket? 2002 C2 Cab, ~60K miles.

• Admin

How can they tell your flywheel is bad without seeing it or testing it?

Porsche had a TSB telling dealers to stop replacing flywheels that had nothing wrong with them (under warranty).

Is this Niello Porsche?

TSB 8/02 1360 Dual Mass Flywheel Check Procedure -- dated 12-13-2002

"Dual mass flywheels which have been returned under warranty to the Porsche AG Service Test Center are subsequently tested for proper function by the manufacturer. Test results have shown that, apart from a few exceptions, the dual mass flywheels involved in complaints are determined to be in proper

working order.

On page 2 you will find a check procedure for the assessment of DMFs involved in complaints."

Is this Niello Porsche?

Yes, Niello. They referenced verbally that it was a dual-mass flywheel as part of the logic for being replaced. The write up says "Note: found the clutch worn (Recommend replacing $3125.08).

They also said I needed to replace the rotors because my front brakes were at 2MM and quoted just shy of $800 for a front-end brakejob.

I'm not a big fan of trying to "fix" things (like turning rotors if/when they are noticably warped) as i've been more satisfied swapping instead; however, I also don't see a reason to change pricey parts "just because".

Sounds like they are being a bit liberal with their reccomendations.

• Admin

The only reason I've seen to replace rotors is that they are beyond the wear limit or have cracks beyond spec.

I suggest getting a second opinion from an independent shop in your area. You can check with your local PCA for "reputable" independent shops in your area.