Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1999 996C2 Mufflers

No, they are not. If there are any shops nearby that work on Porsches (such as http://www.balancedperformance.com/performance.html ) in Sugar Hill near Atlanta, they may have stock mufflers from cars they upgraded and may sell them to you on the cheap.

Call Ron Delvalle at Phone: (678) 546-3133, tell him Izzy sent you. If he doesn't remember me, tell him the craziest student he had at Roebling Road last year.

Thanks Izzy. I started looking into new mufflers and found Robin info for his RSR mufflers. Seem to have a good thing going and I'm tempted to pony up for them. Either that or the Fabspeed cans.

Any opinion on either?

Opinion? Awlays :D

I ended up with GHL's "medium" in my coupe. I tried Fabspeed in my Cabrio and the resonation and loudness where, to me, too much. And I have some ear damage from my youth when my machine gunner let off an M60 long burst and my face was next to the muzzle, in a very dark night. Seeing that you have a cab, you may want to try to listen to them first. Now with the coupe, the GHL's are fairly tame. But quite a few people have complimented the car sound on track, I can't hear a thing with the helmet on

There are others, Like Don from Cap Cod who have the Fabspeeds in a cabrio and enjoy it. I think you will find sounds will be like colors, a matter of preference.

I think either way, you will enjoy lighter weight, better sound, and you will notice a quicker wind up of the engine as the backpressure is less.

Hey Izzy,

I actually have a coupe. My initials are CAB. Do you know anyone using the RSR mufflers that Robin makes? The testimonials on his site are glowing. He's been very prompt in his reply and has a return them if you don't like them policy. He's claiming a 3 hp gain while Fabspeed claims 10+ depending on where you see them listed. I don't want to open up the $ vs hp debate, but I have to replace one so stepping up seems like a reasonable option.

Thanks

Sorry, have not heard about RSR. But the return policy is nice. And the HP gain, who knows? The sound and quicker throttle response is worth it to me. How much are they? Schnell run about 799, and Fabspeed 999. Ebay is a good place. If you end up going for fabspeed, shop around as some of the dealers can give you a better price than direct from Fabspeed.

Do you have a website for RSR?

Looks like they use the OEM mufflers and modify them. Probably remove some of the baffles. My first reaction is "ugly", but it is just a muffler. I would not be interested, rather would get Fabspeeds or Schnell or GHL or eve BillyBoats. They are made from scratch and not a rebuilt from original, and they weigh a good bit less, and are smaller.

I would also be concerned with the welding process, without pickling and passivating the SS weld, you can end up with corrosion line and a hole later on. Again, just opinion.