Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Rattle could use some help.

I just noticed a rattle coming from the rear deck area inside the car, my girlfriend sat in the rear torture chamber seats while I drove and she thinks it's coming from the psngr side, in the very back corner of the rear deck. I removed the small carpeted panel that's just below the rear window and nothing is back there. The rattle sounds like something is dangling/hanging loosely hitting against something metallic. Very slight bumps will cause the rattle and harsh bumps don't really seem to affect it much more. What's just below the large flat part of the carpeted rear deck and how is it removed? Anyone else have this rattle and or fix? Thanks

Edited by 500

I just noticed a rattle coming from the rear deck area inside the car, my girlfriend sat in the rear torture chamber seats while I drove and she thinks it's coming from the psngr side, in the very back corner of the rear deck. I removed the small carpeted panel that's just below the rear window and nothing is back there. The rattle sounds like something is dangling/hanging loosely hitting against something metallic. Very slight bumps will cause the rattle and harsh bumps don't really seem to affect it much more. What's just below the large flat part of the carpeted rear deck and how is it removed? Anyone else have this rattle and or fix? Thanks

I had the same problem. Put your fingers through the C-pillar seatbelt outlet and towards the roof. You should feel a plastic tube hanging loose. Take it to the dealer. They should be able to fix it. They will need to R/I the C-pillar trim which requires R/I of rearside trim panel. Also, ask them to replace all fastening clamps of any R/I panel, otherwise you may get a new rattle after intallation. If you decide to do it yourself and break a panel the replacement will take at least two weeks to arrive in the US. The cost of the C-pillar trim is $75.

I had the same problem. Put your fingers through the C-pillar seatbelt outlet and towards the roof. You should feel a plastic tube hanging loose. Take it to the dealer. They should be able to fix it. They will need to R/I the C-pillar trim which requires R/I of rearside trim panel. Also, ask them to replace all fastening clamps of any R/I panel, otherwise you may get a new rattle after intallation. If you decide to do it yourself and break a panel the replacement will take at least two weeks to arrive in the US. The cost of the C-pillar trim is $75.

Thanks so much; do you know what the tube is for?

Also here's a new noise I've got :angry: I noticed when I make sharp quick left turns I am hearing something scraping/squeaking coming from the back of the car. Its a light metal against metal sound and it sounds like its moves back and forth due to the forces of the car making the turn (suspension bushing out of place, trans or motor mount loose?).

Also here's a new noise I've got :angry: I noticed when I make sharp quick left turns I am hearing something scraping/squeaking coming from the back of the car. Its a light metal against metal sound and it sounds like its moves back and forth due to the forces of the car making the turn (suspension bushing out of place, trans or motor mount loose?).

I did not ask what that tube was for. But I showed the technicians at the dealer that it was loose. They properly insulated it and it is no longer making noise.

As to the new noise, before thinking about the suspension, engine, trans, etc., check the rear side window (on the side you suspect the noise is coming from).

- Determine a spot on the road where this new noise is audible

- Have someone sit in the back seat

- ask the person in the back seat to put a hand on the window (slightly push outwards)

- drive on the same spot on the road and see if the noise disappears or changes.

If it is not the window, take the time (patience is required here :) ) to investigate where the noise is coming from. My experience is that if you take the car to the dealer and you do not show them where the noise is coming from they will (in their effort to detrmine the source of the noise) probably R/I parts that have nothing to do the problem. And you will very likely endup with new noise that you will spend more time trying to get rid of. Also, make sure that you can reproduce the noise when dealer's technician goes for a test drive with you.

I had a similar "metal-against-metal" noise. With time it developed into a "cling, cling" noise on assymetric bumps, when accelerating hars and when making sharp turns. The problem was the rear side window, driver side. It was loose. The dealer fixed it. But it took months and several visits to the dealer only because I was not patient enough to investigate the noise source myself. The folks at the dealer were very understanding but they did not know exactly what they were looking for. No one knows your car better than yourself.

I did not ask what that tube was for. But I showed the technicians at the dealer that it was loose. They properly insulated it and it is no longer making noise.

As to the new noise, before thinking about the suspension, engine, trans, etc., check the rear side window (on the side you suspect the noise is coming from).

- Determine a spot on the road where this new noise is audible

- Have someone sit in the back seat

- ask the person in the back seat to put a hand on the window (slightly push outwards)

- drive on the same spot on the road and see if the noise disappears or changes.

If it is not the window, take the time (patience is required here :) ) to investigate where the noise is coming from. My experience is that if you take the car to the dealer and you do not show them where the noise is coming from they will (in their effort to detrmine the source of the noise) probably R/I parts that have nothing to do the problem. And you will very likely endup with new noise that you will spend more time trying to get rid of. Also, make sure that you can reproduce the noise when dealer's technician goes for a test drive with you.

I had a similar "metal-against-metal" noise. With time it developed into a "cling, cling" noise on assymetric bumps, when accelerating hars and when making sharp turns. The problem was the rear side window, driver side. It was loose. The dealer fixed it. But it took months and several visits to the dealer only because I was not patient enough to investigate the noise source myself. The folks at the dealer were very understanding but they did not know exactly what they were looking for. No one knows your car better than yourself.

Thanks 3x's. I agree with you 100% as I always try to identify and isolate rattles/squeaks before seeing the dealer, tomorrow I will ride with the shop foreman and have him listen to what I've found so far.I had my poor girlfriend cruched up in the back listening for the noises all weekend, she put her ear right up against the areas where she though the noises were coming from and she thinks the rattling which sounds more like a light clicking is coming from under the the rear deck area (I already removed all the rear deck carpet for better sound location/identification). The squeaking is much harder to identify but sharp left turns sets off the squeak and whatever it is rocks back and forth squeaking (kind of sounds like a metal bucket swinging on the metal handle) the sqeaking is also coming from the back of the car and sounds like it coming from under the deck area somewhere as well...perhaps they're related? BTW with regard to the rattle/clicking only light bumps seem to set it off. Thanks. Edited by 500