Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tranny/Clutch Woes!

Hi all. I am considering a new tranny for my 99' C2 Coupe, but I still have a problem with that idea. I started to have difficulty to get it to shift into 2nd period when cold. But later noticed that I was not nearly depressing the clutch pedal all the way and when I conciencously did depress it all the way it would work fine. But now it is inescapable! I adjusted the B&M top mount and it is set correctly. Here's a step by step as though your we're in the car yourself. I get in start the car, then I put it into 1st flawlessly, then while barely moving I shift to 2nd and release the shifter when I let off of the pedal, I hear a minute sound of the teeth or something barely touching no grind or anything like that just a slight errrrrrrrrrrrrr sound like the gears are resting next to one another. If I hold the shifter pulling it towards some times it goes in gear some times it says OOOUUUCCCHHH (not good at all). Now after I drive the car for about 30 minutes I am only having minor issues like the occasional not seating properly but it is getting worse than before I had absolutely no problems what so ever when it was warm now it seems as though it is a game of blackjack against the house. I am wondering if it could be a minor case of the syncro blues and a progressing case of the clutch blues, this thought only brought on by the fact that if I use my 225lb body to put the clutch pedal on the floor then it was affecting the shifting. I think it to be normal for the clutch to not have to go to the floor. There is absolutely no clutch slipping at all. Someone please let me know what you can. I drive on average 80mph, but I am not rough on the car. This is my highway speed, Here in KCKS the roads are too bad to drive to qiuckly off the freeway. Many Thanks in advance!

Oh and if it helps it has 75kmls. Only one problem with the mechanics period around Xmas the tensioner bearing fell off, litterally, on the freeway, in the middle of backwoods Indiana, on the way to the Parents for the holiday, at 4 am, Suncoast motors got me a new one nearly overnight! Simply pulled airbox and fitted the new one in 1 hour! Big Props to SunCoast, the Indiana dealer said it would take more then a week!

Oh #2 if it helps anyone all gears are flawless except entering or exiting 2nd. I was thinking the clutch may be involved as moving the pedal further allowed it to engage 2nd, so I gathered that maybe with the rest of the gears being perfect mesh the clutch would get away with not dissengaging completely, but with the 2nd gear syncro being slighty off as I understand is ever so common with the 6 speed gear box until 03'. It is like the 2nd gear shift is falling short, like if it was on a swing arm and it needed to go 3"'s to engage it feels like it is falling short by like 1/2".

Edited by ViolaGT3

In this case, change first the complete clutch. A 996 clutch works smooth and is absolute girl friendly.

That sounds like a plan but I wanted to see if there was a way to know prior to having labor charges for removing the tranny to do the clutch and then find out and have to do the tranny too.

In this case, change first the complete clutch. A 996 clutch works smooth and is absolute girl friendly.

About the amount of pressure to actuate the clutch, her Jetta's clutch takes a just a tad over an exhale to move the clutch pedal, feels really out of touch. I think the pedal feel of the porsche would generally uncomfortable for the averge driver. I think I'll stop by Imagine Auto and see if I can do a comparison.

Change the tranny fluid. I used to have a problem with 2d popping out when cold. Replaced the tranny fluid with the BG (and an additive also by BG) and no more problems. Syncros in second seem to be fairly sensitive to fluid. IIRC, there is also someone selling the 2d gear syncros so the tranny can be fixed rather than replaced.

As an example see http://www.floridafleetservices.com/produc...ance%20Services

Edited by viper501

Change the tranny fluid. I used to have a problem with 2d popping out when cold. Replaced the tranny fluid with the BG (and an additive also by BG) and no more problems. Syncros in second seem to be fairly sensitive to fluid. IIRC, there is also someone selling the 2d gear syncros so the tranny can be fixed rather than replaced.

As an example see http://www.floridafleetservices.com/produc...ance%20Services

Hmm, I just recently changed to Royal Purple as I could not get ahold of the recommended Shell some of the Porsche Gu's said is great. It did not offer me great differences (allthough it is nightmarish cold conditions and just generally weather wise in KC right now). I just came back from Imagine Auto and Karl checked it out and gave it a run around the block. He said that the Syncro's are definately apart of the issue but the clutch pedal is tougher than it should be and it is commonly related to a arm in the clutch assembly. I would really like to be able to just have the syncro's replaced(as the rest of the tranny is completely flawless) does anyone know of a reputable place to have the work done?? right now I am going to end up replacing the clutch as for he mileage and it looks like I'll be replacing/ repairing the tranny which ever is the most cost effective I do no nearly drive this car enough to straight up go for a completely new tranny. I mean just for the aspect of the money, I put about 3-5kmls on this car a year. I do not for see using up another 80kmls with this car I'm sure by then I will like the 997's which are just tooooo refined for my taste. I like the exotic smooth artful lines found in the 996's the 997's have an abstract sharp clean cut MR2 feel to me. Feels more like a Japanese product then a German one. "My Opinion"

Also if some one knows the prices and locations to get New, Used ,Reman. trannies please let me know I know that LA Dism. occasionly has on in stock. But I would like to have options. I will more than likely have Imagine Auto do the install for me. Would it be wise to hit the RMS while this takes place??? Many Thanks!

Just spoke with Sun Coast and their option at this point is a reman. and it will take 1 month to get as it has to come from Germany, for $5900 and change plus roughly $600 in shipping w/ core return and a $1200 Core charge. They do not have any new ones avail. at $8200 and change no core and only $300 shipping, they also said that it isn't showing that there are any avail. in Germany either. I would like to find out about getting the replacement parts Syncros and other necessary items required to do the 2nd gear syncro replacement. Please if someone knows how to get ahold of these please let me know the details or if you had the work done please let me know. It looks like I will have the clutch, tranny, and RMS done at the same time so I would like to keep the parts price reasonable as possible, The clutch kit is onlyh $405 through them so that is good news and the RMS is a stop at a fast food joint Yea!

Just spoke with Sun Coast and their option at this point is a reman. and it will take 1 month to get as it has to come from Germany, for $5900 and change plus roughly $600 in shipping w/ core return and a $1200 Core charge. They do not have any new ones avail. at $8200 and change no core and only $300 shipping, they also said that it isn't showing that there are any avail. in Germany either. I would like to find out about getting the replacement parts Syncros and other necessary items required to do the 2nd gear syncro replacement. Please if someone knows how to get ahold of these please let me know the details or if you had the work done please let me know. It looks like I will have the clutch, tranny, and RMS done at the same time so I would like to keep the parts price reasonable as possible, The clutch kit is onlyh $405 through them so that is good news and the RMS is a stop at a fast food joint Yea!

Manual trans syncros are real sensitive to fluid type. Make sure you use the correct spec. I had problems with my GLI 5 speed when it had 225,000 miles on it. I found a specialest in CA that rebuilds VW transmissions on an exchange basis. I wanted to keep my original tranny. I fedXd it from NH to CA. They went through the whole thing - bearings, gasgets, syncros and anything that was worn - and gave me a report. I had it back and installed in a week. Cost was $800. Shipping was about $50. It's like a new transmission. There must be pleanty of shops that specialize in Por trans.

Try Panorama. I think that is where the advertisement was for the tranny rebuild / syncro sales. 6 grand for a tranny is a lot. I'll see if I can find an old issue lying around.

Found the ad. Powerhaus II in Boulder, Colorado. www.powerhausii.com 303 442 4327. No experience with them.

Edited by viper501

Sure sounds like linkage problem to be. It appears that the transmission is only going into 2nd gear part way. Check underbody linkage for binding. You are correct that a bad clutch would effect all gears.

Hey hows it going? That is exactly how it feels. I mean exactly but I cannot figure out why it would only be in 2nd that I would run in to it. I adjusted the B&M from one extreme to the other with no benifit. Over engaging the odd gears and then to over engage the even gears, but to my dismay there was no change. When I shift I depress the pedal and pull it from first to second and holding the shifter back when I slowly release the clutch it goes from quiet to me feeling the teeth barely biting and then when the clutch is engaged it just feels like theres only 2mm worth of the teeth actually touching and it just goes BRrrrrrrup and misses. I described it to Karl from Imagine Auto as picture fitting a piston into it's sleeve and if it's perfect then it slides in smooth well it feels like on of the rings is snagging on the sleeve and keeping it from going all the way in. When I try and shift, it just like you said that one gear is just not engaging and with the clutch depressed it is partially engaged but when you slowly release the clutch and it grabs the torque beats out the little bite it has and it jumps out. Where can I try and check the linkage I will take a competant mans approach but it will be in ignorance of the subject. I understand tranny's fit and function but the ever so concealed 996 is a real bugger asside from the fact mine sits 2.5 inches off the ground. The rear Champion 3pc. wheels are tucked. If anyone has a schematic or two I would be indebted and I will post all my findings should it be a gremlin in the system and not just general tranny failure! Thanks

Edited by ViolaGT3

Try Panorama. I think that is where the advertisement was for the tranny rebuild / syncro sales. 6 grand for a tranny is a lot. I'll see if I can find an old issue lying around.

Found the ad. Powerhaus II in Boulder, Colorado. www.powerhausii.com 303 442 4327. No experience with them.

Many thanks for finding the info I was going to do a query for something along those lines but I went ahead and gave them a call I want to further investigate the possibility of a linking issue. I'm thinking that if it is possible for some kind of jarring bump or something along those lines to have possibly have bent a linkage just enough to prevent it from fully engaging second. For my understanding that if it was just the syncros I would not be able to get it into it's proper position at all unless as the gears would never mate in the right spot unless you just coasted long enough for them to get to the right point for them to mesh but I cannot get them to engage all the way even with them meshing. So I am going to entertain the possibility of either the selector fork or a linkage being bent. I think it is very possible as here in KC there are horrible unattended potholes and that's not to mention the MO side of KC holy moses some of their roads look like original concrete prototypes roads when we switched from cobblestone! Rediculous, Doesn't some one get paid to maintain the roads?

Sure sounds like linkage problem to be. It appears that the transmission is only going into 2nd gear part way. Check underbody linkage for binding. You are correct that a bad clutch would effect all gears.

Hey hows it going? That is exactly how it feels. I mean exactly but I cannot figure out why it would only be in 2nd that I would run in to it. I adjusted the B&M from one extreme to the other with no benifit. Over engaging the odd gears and then to over engage the even gears, but to my dismay there was no change. When I shift I depress the pedal and pull it from first to second and holding the shifter back when I slowly release the clutch it goes from quiet to me feeling the teeth barely biting and then when the clutch is engaged it just feels like theres only 2mm worth of the teeth actually touching and it just goes BRrrrrrrup and misses. I described it to Karl from Imagine Auto as picture fitting a piston into it's sleeve and if it's perfect then it slides in smooth well it feels like on of the rings is snagging on the sleeve and keeping it from going all the way in. When I try and shift, it just like you said that one gear is just not engaging and with the clutch depressed it is partially engaged but when you slowly release the clutch and it grabs the torque beats out the little bite it has and it jumps out. Where can I try and check the linkage I will take a competant mans approach but it will be in ignorance of the subject. I understand tranny's fit and function but the ever so concealed 996 is a real bugger asside from the fact mine sits 2.5 inches off the ground. The rear Champion 3pc. wheels are tucked. If anyone has a schematic or two I would be indebted and I will post all my findings should it be a gremlin in the system and not just general tranny failure! Thanks

Can you sit in your car without it running and switch easily beteen 1st and 2nd? My guess is it either the shifter linkage which you have already tried or the linkage on the side of the tranny catching on something. You can pull the panel under the car and watch the linkage move while some goes through the gears. Could be a bad bushing or loose bracket. If it is neither of those, it has to be internal, but I find that unlikely.

Can you sit in your car without it running and switch easily beteen 1st and 2nd? My guess is it either the shifter linkage which you have already tried or the linkage on the side of the tranny catching on something. You can pull the panel under the car and watch the linkage move while some goes through the gears. Could be a bad bushing or loose bracket. If it is neither of those, it has to be internal, but I find that unlikely.

I'll go recheck I know I can do it with the car running and I'm pretty sure I can with it off oh as a matter of fact, yes I know it shifts without issue.

I'll get it jacked up shortly and check it out can you tell me which side the linkage is on? I have not really thought of checking that before but it makes sense. I just really been to busy with things going on and it is disheartening. I have mods and things that I haven't gotten to install. I am painting my family bath tonight after I just finished a joist up redo. of all the bathrooms in the house, it'll be nice to have the first one completed! Toilet downstairs with the sink and the shower upstairs!?! Anyways I'll be back in 15 minutes I have to use the factory jack so I can get the car high enough to get the floor jack under it? But She is glued to the road and looks Brutal!

Edited by ViolaGT3

I'll go recheck I know I can do it with the car running and I'm pretty sure I can with it off oh as a matter of fact, yes I know it shifts without issue.

I'll get it jacked up shortly and check it out can you tell me which side the linkage is on? I have not really thought of checking that before but it makes sense. I just really been to busy with things going on and it is disheartening. I have mods and things that I haven't gotten to install. I am painting my family bath tonight after I just finished a joist up redo. of all the bathrooms in the house, it'll be nice to have the first one completed! Toilet downstairs with the sink and the shower upstairs!?! Anyways I'll be back in 15 minutes I have to use the factory jack so I can get the car high enough to get the floor jack under it? But She is glued to the road and looks Brutal!

Linkage is on passenger side of tranny.

Is there a recommended tranny flush? I just drove 200 miles and half way into it the tranny shifted flawlessly. I still want to check under the car but it has been too cold here to get under there just yet. But this is really urking me, I am finding out about having it repaired by a recommended shop but I would like to exhaust all possibilities prior to doing that. Besides I would rather have my car now and fix it later while I am overseas. (wouldn't we all like to be able to fix problems later.)

Is there a recommended tranny flush? I just drove 200 miles and half way into it the tranny shifted flawlessly. I still want to check under the car but it has been too cold here to get under there just yet. But this is really urking me, I am finding out about having it repaired by a recommended shop but I would like to exhaust all possibilities prior to doing that. Besides I would rather have my car now and fix it later while I am overseas. (wouldn't we all like to be able to fix problems later.)

If you have never changed the lube, you should do so. Pick up 3 liters of Shell Transaxle from the Porsche dealer.

I second and third that. I just knew that I was going to have to have the tranny or the syncros replaced until I did the BG fluid swap. It is an easy diy with a set of jackstands and a pump or some long tubing, a funnel, and a friend. I know we stuck one of the BG additives/friction modifiers in too, just in case. I think it was their product for LSD's but can't totally remember. What I do know is that two years later, I don't have the 2d gear pop problem anymore. :)

I second and third that. I just knew that I was going to have to have the tranny or the syncros replaced until I did the BG fluid swap. It is an easy diy with a set of jackstands and a pump or some long tubing, a funnel, and a friend. I know we stuck one of the BG additives/friction modifiers in too, just in case. I think it was their product for LSD's but can't totally remember. What I do know is that two years later, I don't have the 2d gear pop problem anymore. :)

I have followed up on this as well as gave a call to Powerhaus I am waiting to hear back from them. But first I'm gonna pick a remotely warm day and just go at the car. I have a breakdown CD I bought off ebay that covers alot so I am gonna attempt to check out the entire setup so I know for sure where the problem is and hopefully where it is not. Are there any recommendations for a good flushing agent to remove any sludge, grime or whatever a tranny might suffer from? I want to give it a good run with a flushing agent and then I am going to give this BG fluid a try. I tried to get ahold of the Shell transaxel but it was not working out. That is why I gave Royal Purple a try and dare I say that the issue only worsend, to say the least no signs of improvement were noticed. Thanks again and I'll bump the results after the change.

I doubt that you need a cleaning agent. With mine I just drained the transaxle thoroughly and refilled with the BG stuff.

Ok I'll give it a shot, more than likely before I replace the $500 A/C clutch that just liquified!?! I am at a loss here I have had dodges I bought to build race cars out of and they'd have everything original with 150k+mls and no A/C problems is this a known issues with these is there anything else I should expect?

Linkage is on passenger side of tranny.

Well I crawled under there today and it appears there is a flexible grommet bound on the set up it comes out of the car right immediately above the linkages. Anyone have a blind idea what it could be I did not get a chance to take pics. but it is definately pressed against the linkages. the rubber grommet has a ribed cone sticking out about 2.5 inches in length.