Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Work Day on my 99 C2

Decided it was finally time to get the darn oil/air separator bellows replaced. While I was down there, I figured that I would do a few other things that needed doing. Ended up changing the oil, changing the spark plugs, changing the fuel filter, and cleaning the throttle body and idle air control vavle. Also replaced the air filter.

Observations ....

The oil/air separator bellows is a stupid design. It not only seems destined to fail (on the back side) by design, the material appears to be a standard rubber component. Given the oil and heat, I'm really surprised that mine apparently lasted as long as it did. If you're having idle issues and / or CEL's take a look at the bellows before you spend any real money on other parts. Replacement was relatively easy, even with the engine in place. Ended up replacing the OEM spring style clamps with a pair of worm drives. Tight quarters with everything still in place but it can be done.

Spark plugs were also interesting. Very tight quarters with the mufflers still in place but it is doable. Plugs with almost 120k miles looked pretty darn good. They were eroded fairly evenly but showed that the engine isn't burning any oil. The coil packs were checked for cracking and showed no signs or symptoms of decay. Replacement went a little quicker, although futzing with the connectors was kind of a pain.

Fuel filter was not bad other than access to remove the old unit. Ended up sliding it back down the tunnel toward the engine on the passenger side. Came out fairly easily. Slid the new one back in the same direction.

Throttle body and IAC valve cleaning started out as a minor wipe down and progressed into a full blown remove, clean, and replace operation. If you decided to do this project yourself, realize that there is a small double threaded bolt with a rubber isolator on the bottom of the throttle body. It connects the throttle body to the block, apparently to reduce vibrational stress. Probably a little overkill. That rubber is toast after this many years and will probably tear apart when you try to unbolt the throttle body. Not sure what the solution is to keep from tearing the rubber given the tight quarters and the nature of the material.

Oil change was standard fare. No big deal but did refill with Mobil's 5-40 rather than 0-40. Given the ambient temps around here are pretty high, I opted for the ever so slightly greater viscosity. I'll let everyone know if it creates some kind of problem.

Same with the air filter change.

Bottom line after all of the maintenance is that the car's idle is much better, pulls much stronger, no CEL's, and engine is now noticeably smoother. Every single maintenance item was a DIY project for anyone with even moderate tools and skills. Took about 4 hours for everything and the parts were less than a hundred bucks. Total tools used were a couple sockets, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a couple allen head sockets.

It's kind of nice getting to know one's car a little better... :cheers:

Did you try the felt pad for the sunroof?

Did you have any oil leaks from the o-rings spark plug tubes? I found I had 4 out of 6 tubes leaking, and it looked like the small rings were no longer round and were kind of flat.

Where did you buy your parts? I spent way more than $100 for the Spark plugs ($83) alone, Fuel filter, and oil alone...

Edited by evansaero