Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stiff suspended sports cars take a pounding on Bay Area roads. What's the consensus of 997 PASM owners in the area? Less pounding? Better handling of road imperfections and expansion joints?

Edited by ADias

I went from a C2S w/ 19s and PASM to a C2 with 18s and no PASM. C2 has a better ride.

Please note that these are sports cars with controlled suspensions. All imperfections should be felt. PASM Normal should smooth out the more violent jolts. I thought it did that the last time I test drove a 997 CS.

I drive a 996 with 18s, so I know how a 997 w/o PASM and 18s drives. You really thought the CS w/ 19s and PASM (in Normal mode) was a rougher ride around uneven pavement? Can you elaborate a bit more? what sort of pavement? what sort of ride?

I'm in the northeast, so the roads aren't the best. The 18s give great feel, great feedback. The 19's with PASM in normal were uncomfortable allowing sharper jolts. Sport mode is a joke unless on completely smooth roads. The 19s also seemed to follow road imperfections and the car would actually move in the imperfection.

I don't blame the PASM by the way, but rather the low profile 19s. You save you drive a 996 with 18s so you know how mine drives, but youmay not realize the 18s on mine and yours are not the same. I believe you have 35 sidewall and I have 40. It is a substantial difference. Read last months Excellence about a 997 cab and they discuss the tire difference and that the ride between 996 and 997 is substantial diff.

Compare apple and apples. Test drive a 997 with and without PASM. I wouldn't be surprised to find that PASM w/18s would be better than my 18s without, but there is no question my C2 drives better tahn the C2S did. When I did have the C2S, it wore 18 winter rubber at times which tends not to be as comfortable as summer rubber, when I put the 19s on the ride was noticeably worse. The PASM with winter 18s was not as good as non PASM w/ summer 18s, but the diff was closer.

Thanks for the update. Yes my 18s are lower profile that the 18s on the 997. I agree with you that the 19s on the 997 are a stupid fad. Walter Röhrl prefers 18s and he is no dummy.

Edited by ADias

Best option with PASM is to stick with 18s... My 997S came with 19s and I would have rather they kept the price down and made 18s standard with an option for 19s. Want bling, pay for 19s. Want the better ride without compromising performance, stick with the 18s. I've got a set of oem 18s on the way with PSCs for the track and can tell you there are plenty of oem 18s available - many at eBay with 5 delivery miles on them. You might not like the 235/265 rubber if you feel you must have 295s on the rear, but 295s will fit on the 10" oem 18 rears (within tire maker's range).

Hi,

The race track guys at TRG use 18 inch tires on their race

997 cars. The 19 inch are hudge tires. I have 19 inch and

have thought about buying 18 inch for the track. Do not use

the sport button unless you are in Woodside road or on a race track.

Paul