Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AMP Harness Connector Tool

Toolpants,

Yeah, I've noticed the diagrams as well. I have no idea what the numbers above each figure correspond to. I can locate all of the connectors for the DME on the diagram and their corresponding numbers but I don't know if I gave them to the guy at the dealership whether he would know what I was talking about. The connectors themselves have a Tyco/AMP part number but I can't seem to locate the number on their site.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

• Moderators

I spoke to Peter Smith and another mechanic today.

They do not know how to get just the connectors. This is why they save old wiring harnesss - in case they need parts. Both said that style connector is not in the repair kit. They both said to ask the parts guy, but that is like beating your head against the wall.

I have done a lot of OBC retrofits over the years. There is an Amp connector we use, with an Amp part number on it. When Porsche jacked up the price 400% I went to the Amp/Tyco site and found the connector, but you had to buy like 10 thousand of them. The connector also has a BMW part number on it, so for a while I was buying them from BMW at a fraction of what Porsche wanted. Then BMW jacked up the price. I went back to Amp/Tyco with the BMW part number and they said it was a restricted part and would only sell to BMW.

Let me know if you ever find a source in the US for the various Amp connectors used by Porsche.

Tool Pants,

Richard Hamilton emailed me and pointed out that the 2003 and later wiring diagrams actually have Porsche part numbers for the different connectors in the pictures. Based upon what you say it seems like they can't be ordered though. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Todd

• 3 weeks later...

Todd,

I was also interested in getting the amp plugs so I did some research from the manufacturer part numbers for the connectors (not the Porsche part numbers). I found the data sheet and at least one place that sells them. I haven't ordered them yet and I am on the road now so I don't have the information handy. But I can send it to you when I get back home later this week.

Stefan,

i would appreciate the information, thanks a lot.

Todd

Todd,

I was also interested in getting the amp plugs so I did some research from the manufacturer part numbers for the connectors (not the Porsche part numbers). I found the data sheet and at least one place that sells them. I haven't ordered them yet and I am on the road now so I don't have the information handy. But I can send it to you when I get back home later this week.

Reading the part numbers from the amplifier plugs (both male):

Big connector (amp to speakers)

"AMP 1-828-881-2 H"

"BMW 1 383 515"

Small connector (radio to amp)

"1 962748-2 PET"

"AMP 1-963539-2"

I was unable to find where I put the link for the website that sells them individually but they are standard connectors. As Tool Pants mentioned, the manufacturer is AMP/Tyco.

The smaller plug looks identical to the part for 1-963539-1 (even though it says 1-963539-2).

This place

http://www.summitelectronics.com/index.html

says "No Line Item Minimum" and (at http://www.summitelectronics.com/about.html), "no order is too small, too large, or too unusual for us to handle" and "Our mission is to locate and expedite all your requirements, no matter how large or small"

They are open 24/7/365.

Unfortunately you have misunderstood the post. I am not looking for the connectors to the stereo amplifier, I am looking for the connectors for the DME manufactured by the company AMP for Porsche.

Thanks for trying.

Todd

• Moderators

I just looked at a 2002 986 wiring daigram. The last page is a sheet called plug overview, sheet 25. It has pictures of all the connectors and above each connector is what sure looks like a part number. Just like Richard Hamilton said.

My pictures are from the paper 2001 wiring diagram, plug overview, sheet 25, but that paper sheet does not have part numbers. I forgot I had wiring diagrams newer than 2001 in electronic form.

If I knew what the connector(s) you want I could try to match it with the drawings of the connectors shown on the sheet, and with the part number above each connector see if it can be ordered.

Tool pants,

I have those part numbers that are on the later diagrams as Richard noted, however I don't believe they are available as spare parts from Porsche although I haven't had any time to pursue it.

Stefan, I will see if the vendor can come up with the parts based upon the AMP part numbers.

Thanks again,

Todd

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Saw a set of removal tools on ebay that I had not seen before. 23 tools. Made by JTC in Twain, although I could not find it on their site. http://eng.jtc.com.tw/ I contacted JTC and the ebay seller but never got an application guide. Took a chance and bought the set for $70 plus $10.75 shipping.

Turns out there is an application guide on the case lid. I expected it to be a set of 23 tools for Asian cars since it is made in Twain. Only 2 tools have listings for Honda and Toyota, but those 2 tools also have listings for European cars. The rest are listed for Euro cars, including Porsche/VW/Audi/Mercedes/BMW. Porsche uses connectors that are used on VW/Audi/Mercedes/BMW. Some of the tools do not look much different from the others.

I have only just started to play around with them, so I will say at least half of the tools can be used on a Porsche. The quality is not bad, and I would say a bit better than Sir Tools.

post-4-1220911092_thumb.jpg

post-4-1220911126_thumb.jpg

post-4-1220911138_thumb.jpg

Saw a set of removal tools on ebay that I had not seen before. 23 tools. Made by JTC in Twain, although I could not find it on their site. http://eng.jtc.com.tw/ I contacted JTC and the ebay seller but never got an application guide. Took a chance and bought the set for $70 plus $10.75 shipping.

I'll have to give those a try. I'm been too cheap to try any of

the ones on eBay thus far, worrying they'd be junk.

One pin tool I needed, like right now, for the pins in the older DMEs.

I found a drawing with dimensions on a German tool company website

for the genuine article and then filed one out of a piece of drill rod.

One of these days I'll lathe up a handle for it.

pin-tool.jpg

Bill

• Moderators

There are 2 ebay sellers selling the same JTC stuff. Koniktoolcom in Tennessee, and Kinetikco in California. I bought from Koniktoolcom but it was shipped by Kinetikco, so I guess they are the same company.

Here they are out of the case.

Already found a good use for a few of them....

post-4-1220986053_thumb.jpg

post-4-1220986088_thumb.jpg

Are they heat resistant for the barbecue?

There are 2 ebay sellers selling the same JTC stuff. Koniktoolcom in Tennessee, and Kinetikco in California. I bought from Koniktoolcom but it was shipped by Kinetikco, so I guess they are the same company.

Here they are out of the case.

Already found a good use for a few of them....