Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing engine oil on a 997 TT?

gradyex

I've searched pretty much this entire site and came across the DIY for a 996 TT engine oil change and 996 GT3 engine oil change but am wondering if the DIY for the 2007 997 TT engine oil change is the same? I would imagine so but not 100% sure? Also would the torque numbers be the same for filter, oil tank drain plug, and crankcase drain plug? I am not planning to remove the drain plugs for the turbochargers but want to know also if the procedure for adding oil is the same as my 997S (putting fresh oil directly in the engine compartment oil filler)? I ask because the TT is a dry sump and uses a seperate tank and although we drain the oil from 2 different areas under the engine, there probably is not 2 seperate oil intakes in the engine bay? Just want to be absolutely sure, I regularly changed my engine oil in my 2005 997S and want to do the same when my turbo arrives in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by gradyex

• Moderators

Oil and filter change on a 997TT and 997GT3 is exactly the same as on a 996TT and 996GT3, there is only one oil filler in the engine compartment just like the oil filter how have the same insert as your 997S. I don't no what the specific torque is.

Oil and filter change on a 997TT and 997GT3 is exactly the same as on a 996TT and 996GT3, there is only one oil filler in the engine compartment just like the oil filter how have the same insert as your 997S. I don't no what the specific torque is.

Thanks for confirming that for me. The torque for the oil filter is 19 ftlbs. I have a few quick questions: The FIY oil change on a 997 TT is identical to the 996 TT or 996 GT3 but is the procedure to replace the oil on these cars the same as the 997S? In other words you just add new fresh oil and replace what you removed directly through the engine oil filler cap all at once (1 quart at a time of course) and it will automatically get to all the areas via pumps from there? I think the 997 TT has 9 oil pumps total. I ask this because the 997 TT is a true dry sump engine and the 997S is not. I just want to be 100% sure when the time comes to do the change.

• Admin

All modern Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997, 996GT3, 997GT3, 996TT, 997TT, Cayenne (except the V6)) use the same oil filter insert.

The procedure for the 997TT is the same as the 996TT.

The oil pan drain and the oil tank drain. Most folks don't drain the turbos since it is a lot more work and not that much oil is held there anyway.

If you are talking about a vacuum system to remove the oil - I don't think those are approved by Porsche. You drain the oil the old-fashioned way through drain plugs.

• Moderators

It gives no problem to get ( approx. 8 L ) the fresh oil in the engine. In Belgium is 5W-50 Mobil 1 for turbo's and GT's mostly used to reduce oil consumption.

Thanks again guys, that pretty much explains the whole procedure. I just have one more question: Is the procedure for replacing the oil on a true dry sump motor (pouring the oil in the engine compartments oil filler cap) the same as a 997S? I just want to be sure that I don't have to fill a seperate tank somewhere? I'm assuming the engines 9 oil pumps will take it from there. I just want to make sure that the engines crankcase has oil at all times or is there a few seconds where the oil pressure light goes on (like in my 997S) and then goes off. It might sound like a stupid question but I don't want to take any chances. My car is 2 days away from delivery and I am really excited. I plan on doing a 2000 mile oil change right after breakin and then every 5k-7k miles after that or once a year.

Loren, go to page 15 in the 997 Turbo training manual. I read it somewhere else too but can't remember. Its basically a comparison of different features that the 997 TT has over the 996 TT. This is the document that compares the 997 TT with Gallardo, F 430, Austin Martin, BMW M6, etc in the last section. Anyhow I have no idea where all these pumps are.

• Admin

I had seen that statement. I just don't know what all they are calling "oil pumps". Technically I guess oil return pumps are pumping oil but if your main oil pump fails the result would be the same.

Here is a further explanation:

"In comparison to the 8 oil pumps on the 911 Turbo (996), the new 911 Turbo features an additional extraction pump in the crankcase, resulting in a total of 9 oil pumps. These break down into 8 oil extraction and one oil delivery pump: 2 oil extraction pumps for the turbochargers, 4 oil extraction pumps for the cylinder heads (2 per cylinder head), and 2 extraction pumps and one delivery pump in the crankcase."