Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi All,

I have the same issue with the soft top not being able to be lowered - when top button pressed nothing happens.

I've read the appropriate posts and will try all the suggestions.

This happened after I took the hard top off for the summer - I could put the top up no problem, but a few days later when the weather (in Michigan!) finally got warmish, I could not put the top down.

Looking at the other posts it seems that this happens a lot! Is there something with using a hard top that affects the soft top switch?

Just curious?

Hi All,

I have the same issue with the soft top not being able to be lowered - when top button pressed nothing happens.

This happened after I took the hard top off for the summer - I could put the top up no problem, but a few days later when the weather (in Michigan!) finally got warmish, I could not put the top down.

Looking at the other posts it seems that this happens a lot! Is there something with using a hard top that affects the soft top switch?

Just curious?

no. the car doesn't really know if the hardtop is on or if the top is just down.

it's probably your handbrake dash light. when you engage the handbrake, does the corresponding dash light go on? if not, the top won't work. sometimes you can move the handbrake thru its range of motion (slowly or quickly - whatever works) to see if you can get the light to come on. if that is your issue, you need to repair/replace the handbrake microswitch, which isn't too hard at all.

it could also be the top latch microswitch - you can test it by unlatching the top to see if the windows drop a few inches. if so, the microswitch is fine. (note: your windows need to be fully up to test this. if the windows are already down a little, there would be no need for them to drop.)

otherwise, it could be the top relay (probably not) or a mechanical problem (unlikely if your top was working before).

Hi All,

Just curious?

no. the car doesn't really know if the hardtop is on or if the top is just down.

it's probably your handbrake dash light. when you engage the handbrake, does the corresponding dash light go on? if not, the top won't work. sometimes you can move the handbrake thru its range of motion (slowly or quickly - whatever works) to see if you can get the light to come on. if that is your issue, you need to repair/replace the handbrake microswitch, which isn't too hard at all.

it could also be the top latch microswitch - you can test it by unlatching the top to see if the windows drop a few inches. if so, the microswitch is fine. (note: your windows need to be fully up to test this. if the windows are already down a little, there would be no need for them to drop.)

otherwise, it could be the top relay (probably not) or a mechanical problem (unlikely if your top was working before).

Ok, found the time to do some investigation - it's the handbrake switch all right. I tried your trick of moving the handbrake slowly, and that worked - light comes on intermittently.

You mention that it "isn't too hard at all" to fix this - I pushed the seat forward and managed to get the plastic panel off on the LHS of the handbrake, but can't really see what's going on in there - what else needs to come off? Any other tips on getting to this switch?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 98 boxster soft top not operating. Seems to be a common problem from what I am reading on this site. Wife drove it the other day and got the top to go down. However, I could not get it to go back up. Checked the fuse, it's fine. The windows go down a bit when I unlatch the top. From what i read, that means the microswitch is ok. I did notice that the handbrake light is no longer lit on the dash. I took your advise and pumped the hand brake about 20 times and got the handbrake light on the dash to come on once. Does that mean that the switch is bad ? Do I need to check further ? Somebody wrote that this was their problem and was only a $5.00 part and an easy repair. I also happened to hear a cracking noise when I pulled on the hand brake one of those times. What could I have possibly cracked ? My other question is how to I get the cover off of the hand brake assembly and get to the switch ?

Thanks for your reply.

George

Hi George... in the future you should create a new post for your issue, just so we can keep them straight.

yes, you will need to replace the handbrake microswitch. it is underneath the storage compartment at the back of the center console. you will need to remove the center console to get at the microswitch. here are some short-shifter instructions that explain how to remove the center console. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...ost&id=1853

also, when you are removing the center console, it can scratch the handbrake up pretty good, so it would be a good idea to cover the handbrake with tape or a towel or something to protect it.

here's a picture of the microswitch. the part number you need to order is 996.613.112.01 and is only a few dollars.

post-1099-1181029319.jpg