Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2.5L or 2.7L

I don't remember the displacement going up until the S2 came out. either way the engines are very relaible as long as you keep the timing belt changed. if using for a track car run synthetic oil or you will take out #2 rod bearing, could never get an answer from engine gurus but the one time I didn't sure enough I toasted #2.

• 1 year later...

Macquda,

I lost my engine today, an 86 NA track car. First turn on track, runnin perfectly, and after 4 laps or so lost all oil pressure, then saw the white smoke. Turn engine off and pulled over. Anyway, there is a a hole in the oil pan and a crack on it too. I did not hit anything, and a Porsche mechanic looked at the car lifted and mentioned the #2 rod bearing.

Anyway, so far I have not had a great experience with the 944 on track. I may put on a motor with 64K miles next week and run again next weekend. Car is at the shop now, being sorted out as to what happened.

If I remember correctly, the #2 bearing problem has something to do with the desigh of the oil pan and the way the oil pump sits that allows the pump to cavitate in hard turns. Try going to www.924board.org to get the full explanation. If you hang out there long enough, those guys will have you tearing the engine down and rebuilding it yourself. Good Luck.

Thank you. I have capitulated to our local Porsche Dealer. Know the guy running the show and I have trusted them for years. He is a 944 racer, we go to the track together a bit.

• 5 months later...
I don't remember the displacement going up until the S2 came out. either way the engines are very relaible as long as you keep the timing belt changed. if using for a track car run synthetic oil or you will take out #2 rod bearing, could never get an answer from engine gurus but the one time I didn't sure enough I toasted #2.

There was an 1989 2.7 just before the S2 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this a few months ago. when I raced firehawk series I was told by Jerry Woods to run mobil 1 synthetic only (I know but it was the only thing in 86) or the #2 rod bearing would fail, he learned the hard way!

so there I am at Sebring running a 6 hour on conventional oil. we made it to end but when I tore down the motor #2 was shot. Jerry also told me not to put a oil temp gauge in the car because it would scare me!