Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

what's the two-wire plug connecting the softtop...

what's the two-wire plug connecting the soft top frame to the car? it looks like it connects to a top-related microswitch on the top frame near the drivers left shoulder. i operated the top without that connected and now have a problem. :( is it a "stop, we're done...don't go any futher-microswitch???"

i had the darn top all put back together after a tiny repair...everything was looking good. top operated down perfectly. top went up perfectly....UNTIL.... a loud pop the second after the light went out (top operation complete). the top is now up and everything looks great, but trying to put the top down and i get a dramatic "pop" every second or so.

ideas????

thanks

Hi Doug,

That is a microswitch that tells the motor to stop. I just went through this repair. See the other article under top repairs, started by me, poobha. Mark and Toolpants offer very good advice. You will have to disconnect the push bar and thrust rods from the transmission drive levers, retime your transmissions and put it together. All your info is in the top Issues and solutions. Read all recent post as they are very helpful in getting this corrected.

You have essentially run the gears off the transmissions because the top wasn't registering itself in up position.

Good luck.

Marco

thank you marco (and mark and jeff)...and crap, crap, crap!!!

i had quickly reviewed everything in this forum the other day but read right over your perfectly applicable discussion because i didn't have this problem at the time. i can't believe i was 30 seconds from being done with my little repair (just connecting the stupid connector before testing the top), but now i've got an opportunity to learn more than i wanted to know about synchronizing the top.