Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Screwed Up revisited

As I had said before I was a moron and put windshield washer fluid in the coolant system. The last time I drove it it pushed out what looked like a couple of quarts of liquid. I had thought that this was just the excess from the addition. When I started it up today the low coolant level light was blinking, I added about 1 1/2 quarts water as I have an appointment for a flush and fill Tuesday. The final level was on the low side of the lines. This did not stop the light so I took it to a friend of mine who is a mechanic .The car was running a little hot, about 190, and pushed out a lot of the water I put in. When the cap was removed it was full to the top and when we put the cap back on it pushed it out the cap. The light then went out and it seemed to be alright but a little warm. He said to take it for a short easy drive and see if the temp went up. Sure enough it did --past the 200 line and very quickly dropped down to a little past the 0 on the 180 mark, and the light started flashing again. I drove it home, app. 6 miles and the light flashed all the way but the temp didn't go up. Is this related to the original error or is just a per chance happening? And finally--what is happening? Thanks for any help. Ed

As I had said before I was a moron and put windshield washer fluid in the coolant system. The last time I drove it it pushed out what looked like a couple of quarts of liquid. I had thought that this was just the excess from the addition. When I started it up today the low coolant level light was blinking, I added about 1 1/2 quarts water as I have an appointment for a flush and fill Tuesday. The final level was on the low side of the lines. This did not stop the light so I took it to a friend of mine who is a mechanic .The car was running a little hot, about 190, and pushed out a lot of the water I put in. When the cap was removed it was full to the top and when we put the cap back on it pushed it out the cap. The light then went out and it seemed to be alright but a little warm. He said to take it for a short easy drive and see if the temp went up. Sure enough it did --past the 200 line and very quickly dropped down to a little past the 0 on the 180 mark, and the light started flashing again. I drove it home, app. 6 miles and the light flashed all the way but the temp didn't go up. Is this related to the original error or is just a per chance happening? And finally--what is happening? Thanks for any help. Ed

Air lock.

Take the oil and water cap off and lift the plastic base, under this is a lever which is a bleed valve, pull the lever up, put the oil cap back on and start the engine with the water cap off, run up to normal running temperature, when the thrermostat opens water will be moved around the system, because the valve is open the air will be moved too and this will purge the system, keep topping up the water level.

A couple of minutes running once at normal temperature will be enough, shut the valve and reassemble - all is now done.

The reason for the "push" of water is that the trapped air expands, gets so hot it turns to steam, the guuge drops when the air lock is around the temperature sensor, as it moves and water makes contact with the sensor you will see the gauge shoot up.

Now you need to find out why you have an air lock, perhaps recently changed a radiator?

If nothing has been done to the car have a system pressure test done, it just may be (and dont panic) a head gasket problem :)

Glyn, The only thing that I did was add the washer fluid and overfilled. This was why the original blowout of water. Lets hope that it is nothing else. I will do the purgr this morning. Thank You very much for the info. Ed

Glyn, I did as you instructed. I filled up the tank to the min mark when it was cold and did all the other stuff. It never needed any other water and the bubbles coming out were for the most small. When I shut of the air conditioner it proceded to fill the opening up to the top. I put the air conditioner on and them water receded to the max line. I never really did see a lot of movement of water in the tank. I am used to old sports cars which send the water moving. Is this normal or is there a possibility of a sticking thermostat? BTW the light went off and the temp never got above the 0 on 180. It idled for at least 1/2 hour. Thanks, Ed

Glyn, I did as you instructed. I filled up the tank to the min mark when it was cold and did all the other stuff. It never needed any other water and the bubbles coming out were for the most small. When I shut of the air conditioner it proceded to fill the opening up to the top. I put the air conditioner on and them water receded to the max line. I never really did see a lot of movement of water in the tank. I am used to old sports cars which send the water moving. Is this normal or is there a possibility of a sticking thermostat? BTW the light went off and the temp never got above the 0 on 180. It idled for at least 1/2 hour. Thanks, Ed

You dont see water moving about anymore as all the user can see is the expansion tank.

The washer fluid will create air as it heats up (the bubbles), you will not see much evidence of a load of air being purged, but it will happen, i dont know how much washer fluid you put in, so you may have to do the purge a few times, but dont worry, all will be well and in a few weeks you will have a good laugh at all of this - it could be worse, you could have put water in the oil filler.

The air con wont have made any difference to the water level - this must have been coincidence.

Bet you wont do the bugger again

:clapping: