Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Top Stopped Fuctioning

Last week I closed my top Iand heard what sounded like popping sounds over my left shoulder. That didn't sound right so I tried to lower and raise the top (stupid) but it did with no issues.

Today I went to drive the car and noticed the top light was on. When I got home I tried to lower the top ( I know, again stupid ) and it quit half way down. Now nothing.

I know this has to be bad....ideas?

1. Can I manually rasie it to get to a shop?

2. There also seemed to be a noise, like a blower or fan running today for a few minutes, the stop. It was on the right side of the motor. Since I've park the car it has come on about twice in the last 40 minutes. It goes off in about four seconds...related?

this should be in the Boxster Conv Top Forum which is a link at the top of the Boxster Forum Page. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showforum=46

you need to disconnect the conv top push-rods and the clamshell push-rods so that you can open and close the top manually. the problem that you're having is probably related to the conv top cables and they probably need to be replaced.

also, please include at least the model year of your car when posting. help us help you! ;)

here's your freebie: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=68

read it all and you will understand how the top works, the parts, and what needs to be disconnected and repaired/replaced.

you can fix it all yourself relatively easily and cheaply.

the fan that you hear from the passenger side is normal and not related to the conv top.

Thanks Chris, yeah, I was just panicking and should have taken some time with more info. My Boxster is an '02 S.

When I hit the button to retract the top, I looked back and the top seemed to be moving slower than normal. Just when I noticed that that top came to a stop. The clamshell is at a 45 deree angle and the front of the top is at the back of the headrest. If I press the button now, I get a brief sound (power hitting the motor?) and nothing.

How do I retract or lower the top? As of now, I see the red end cable but that is about all.

So. then the motor maybe fine? That was my biggest concern this would get very costly.

Edited by SC986

Thanks Chris, yeah, I was just panicking and should have taken some time with more info. My Boxster is an '02 S.

When I hit the button to retract the top, I looked back and the top seemed to be moving slower than normal. Just when I noticed that that top came to a stop. The clamshell is at a 45 deree angle and the front of the top is at the back of the headrest. If I press the button now, I get a brief sound (power hitting the motor?) and nothing.

How do I retract or lower the top? As of now, I see the red end cable but that is about all.

So. then the motor maybe fine? That was my biggest concern this would get very costly.

did you READ the post i linked to? ('here's your freebie:)? you NEED to READ (all of) it!

as you WILL read in the R&R post, there are very few components that make the top work. there are 'transmissions' (one on each side of the car), a conv top cable motor (located under clamshell by 3rd brake light), two sets of push-rods (one set for the clamshell and one set that moves the conv top frame), a 'V-lever', and conv top cables. the cables are the most likely cause of your top problem.

i am assuming that when you pull the handbrake (emergency brake) the corresponding dash light comes on. correct?

for your clamshell, look inside the space that the clamshell normally covers. attached to the clamshell, you will see two black canister arms (one on each side of the car). follow them from the clamshell to where they attach at the 'V-lever' and pop them off the V-lever with a screwdriver. (hold the clamshell while you do this so it doesn't fall down on you). this will allow you to open/close the clamshell manually.

then, READ the post i linked to - and detach the push-rods with the red caps on the ends (one on each side of the car). you can use a screwdriver or another pry tool. this will allow you to open/close the conv top manually.

after you've done all that, see the section in the R&R thread about checking your cable lengths and how to replace the cables.

don't push the conv top button anymore! it CAN get worse (and expensive)!

Edited by Chris_in_NH

Thanks for the help Chris. I did read and re-read the link. What concerns me is when I try to pry the clamshell arm off, it's not coming. I know the link when the clamshell is only open a few inches but mine is at 45 degrees.

I've even switched to a pry bar trying to get in to pop loose, I'm using so much force the body panel is flexing.

Can I try undoing the other end of the arm with the small clip? With the position it's in, I have almost no access to where it attaches to the V arm. It must be under more pressure, it will not pry off.

Edited by SC986

Good or bad I went out of order and pried off the red cables from the top. I lowered the top to try and gain more access to the clamshell arm. Still no luck, this thing will not pry off. It's to the point pieces of the knob will shave off but it will not budge!

Good or bad I went out of order and pried off the red cables from the top. I lowered the top to try and gain more access to the clamshell arm. Still no luck, this thing will not pry off. It's to the point pieces of the knob will shave off but it will not budge!

getting the push-arms with the red connector off is a good start.

if your clamshell is at 45 degrees, then it's almost all the way in the up position. if this is the case, you should be able to pop the black canister arms (clamshell push-rods) off very easily with a screwdriver. the canister arm uses the same ball-socket connection that the red connectors use. get the screwdriver between the V-lever and the ball connector on the end of the canister arm and pop it off.

if that doesn't work, you could try to undo that brass connector that attaches the other side of the canister arm to the clamshell. then the clamshell would move freely (after unclipping both sides).

here is a picture that might help you.

9917.jpg

Ok, so jumpimg ahead, I pulled the cables out of my motor and I have the 3/4" needed on both. So with the popping I heard over my left shoulder and the fact that the top was moving really slow before it quit, does that give any clues as to what to search for next?

Ok, so jumpimg ahead, I pulled the cables out of my motor and I have the 3/4" needed on both. So with the popping I heard over my left shoulder and the fact that the top was moving really slow before it quit, does that give any clues as to what to search for next?

hmm... one of the cables could be broken inside the cable sheath. have you been able to remove the clamshell push-rods yet? if so, put the cables back in the motor and have someone quickly push the conv top button while you watch the V-levers to see if they both spin. if they both spin, the cables are OK, and the transmissions are (probably) OK, and the conv top cable motor is (probably) OK. i say 'probably' as you could have an intermittent problem.

take a look at the red ball connectors on the conv top push-rods you removed. are they cracked/broken? also take a look at the push-rods themselves. about half way down the push-rod, there is a set screw. are the set screws tight, and in the same location on both sides?

Yeah I got them off last night but had to take them off from the back end with the brass clip. I did get the drivers one off the front ball but the passenger one still won't come off the front ball.

The red cables look ok, I'll check the other stuff. Getting home late tonight from work so it may be Wednesday before I get the chance.

Man, thanks for sticking with this!

Oh yeah, as for local help. The Porsche only shop said this is a Boxster design flaw caused by flexing where the motor is, and will repeat even if repaired so best bet not to throw money at it and leave it a permanent convertable??? Are you kidding me!!!

The dealer's first service appointment opening is July 2nd!

Oh yeah, as for local help. The Porsche only shop said this is a Boxster design flaw caused by flexing where the motor is, and will repeat even if repaired so best bet not to throw money at it and leave it a permanent convertable??? Are you kidding me!!!

that's ridiculous. some of these guys just like to hear themselves talk.

however, you *could* just leave everything disconnected and have a *manual* convertible top. i did this for over a year (was just too lazy to fix it, even though i had all the parts) and it's a little more of a pain to have to get out of the car to put the top up/down, but i could do it quicker than the 'automatic' feature could, and the top would never break again. ;)

i have since fixed my top and it took all of 20 minutes. D'OH!

as i mentioned before, there are a very limited set of possible causes for your issue, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. it's either mechanical or electrical, and it doesn't sound electrical at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris, this is my very first post.

You seems to be an expert in this and I hope you can help me. I cannot lower my top this morning. At first I tried to lower it and the motor starts working. But seems like it was moving unevenly and after a few pop sound, i raise it back up. Since then, I can't move the top back down no more but i can heard the motor sound is running. I read up the link about convertible issue. My first question would be how can i even access to the services part without able to lower the top part to begin with. Thanks for the help!

Eric

98 Boxster

Canada, BC