Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

porsche 996 convertible top replacement

The seal around my plastic window is getting worn out. I'm thinking about getting a new one. I don't know how much it would be getting a brand new at the dealer. The other option is to buy one on Ebay for $600 and get somebody to replace it for me. Has anybody replaced their top themselves?

Kristian

The seal around my plastic window is getting worn out. I'm thinking about getting a new one. I don't know how much it would be getting a brand new at the dealer. The other option is to buy one on Ebay for $600 and get somebody to replace it for me. Has anybody replaced their top themselves?

Kristian

I can't tell if you as asking about getting a new window or an entirely new top. I just replaced my whole top. $2,000 for the top and $1,000 for labor. Included a brand new headliner and wiring harness for the defrost. Had a local guy install this top:

http://www.gahh.com/product_info.php?cPath...roducts_id=1575

Glass window, defrost, factory color-matched, A5 canvas top. Next best thing to OEM; 3 year warranty. The place that I used offers a lifetime warranty on their work, which means that if anything mechanical ever fails on the top from here on out, they will fix it (even if it wasn't their fault). So, there's like a baked in warranty. Looks great and I never have to worry about polishing my plastic window again...

Thanks for the website and the info. It seems like the glass window is the way to go. The plastic one is just going to go bad again in a few years.

Kristian

Kristian

I can't tell if you as asking about getting a new window or an entirely new top. I just replaced my whole top. $2,000 for the top and $1,000 for labor. Included a brand new headliner and wiring harness for the defrost. Had a local guy install this top:

http://www.gahh.com/product_info.php?cPath...roducts_id=1575

Glass window, defrost, factory color-matched, A5 canvas top. Next best thing to OEM; 3 year warranty. The place that I used offers a lifetime warranty on their work, which means that if anything mechanical ever fails on the top from here on out, they will fix it (even if it wasn't their fault). So, there's like a baked in warranty. Looks great and I never have to worry about polishing my plastic window again...

If you can swing it, I think it's the way to go. The guys who did my top gave me a few options. They offered to replace the plastic with (a) this new polymer that doesn't scratch as easily and (2) sew it into the canvas rather than glue it, as had been done at the factory. This should prolong the life but since my canvas was already pretty worn I opted for glass.

Here's some pics...

post-19628-1183124379.jpg

post-19628-1183124395.jpg

post-19628-1183124413.jpg

post-19628-1183124420.jpg

Hello,

I too need a new top for my 2001 996. At first I thought I had a dime sized hole at the middle back that had to be "re-glued" for 59 cents or something. I next found out that the only option from the Porsche dealer was a $5,000 new top. Then I found someone who would sew a PVC plastic rear window in for $750, but the way he described it, it would have been a rig with some of the old plastic having to be left attached. He didn't know anything about the new TPU plastic. Then I found a place that would replace the whole top for $1900 with the PVC plastic window. Now I find your post and it seems my 59 cent problem has settled in at around $3000.

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help with:

Old window was 36x16 .... new glass one is 35.5 x 12. How badly do you miss those extra 4 inches of height?

Where does the wiring harness attach, and where do you install the new switch to turn the rear defogger on and off Are there already extra harness plugs and operation "button holes" on the car?

Any worries about the heating element making the glass hot and over time weakening the glue bond between the glass and the canvass, putting you back to square one needing replacement again? Or is there a more high tech bond than just glue?

How long has your new top been installed and can you offer any additional comments about how well it operates and if any problems have cropped up?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Old window was 36x16 .... new glass one is 35.5 x 12. How badly do you miss those extra 4 inches of height?

Where does the wiring harness attach, and where do you install the new switch to turn the rear defogger on and off Are there already extra harness plugs and operation "button holes" on the car?

Any worries about the heating element making the glass hot and over time weakening the glue bond between the glass and the canvass, putting you back to square one needing replacement again? Or is there a more high tech bond than just glue?

How long has your new top been installed and can you offer any additional comments about how well it operates and if any problems have cropped up?

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss the height. There's not as much visibility out the back but (a) I keep my top down almost all the time and (B) it's primarily lost in the height and not the width. So while driving I don't really notice at all. I am more careful when backing up now though.

Having said that, it's glass! When I was backing up before, all I could see was blurry blobs out of my hazy plastic. Now, I have glass...

No worries about glue because this top is double stitched. You can't see it in my pics but check this one out: http://www.gahh.com/PHOTOGALLERY/996-glass3.jpg

Also, this top has a 3-year mfg warranty.

As for the defroster, I actually didn't want it. The installer said that it comes with it and I got no discount by turning it down, so he went ahead. I asked the same question: "Where is the button going to go?" He pointed to my dash and demonstrated to me that I already had the button in my "horseshoe". I guess they are there by default to work with the hardtop? In any case, not an issue. The only extra part was the wiring harness and they hooked it up as part of the install.

I have not had the new top long enough to know about any issues. (2 weeks.) In the first two weeks, you cannot put the top down at all. The canvas needs time to stretch. I will take the car back next week and they'll fine tune all the adjustments. My installer warranties all the mechanics of the top. (Not the canvas but the actual mechanical top, since they had to take it apart). So if anything breaks or rattles or falls apart, they will fix it, no questions asked. It's like an extended warranty for my top...

That's about all I know. You might try contacting GAHH and asking if they have recommended installers in your area. Or call the dealer and ask them where they outsource their cabrio work.

Let me know if you have other questions.

They are actually selling this glass window on Ebay for $1200. It was for sale till yesterday, but it has ended now. The seller is richandfamousautotops. You should check it out. I'm sure they wil have it on sale again starting tomorrow or Monday.

Kristian

Thanks for the info. I found the defroster button on the console. I have asked the mfg. for an installer in the area. Hopefully there is someone as good as the one who did yours seems to be.

Thanks,

Mark

DO you get new rubber seals to put around the back part with the new top? I hope they at least sell them somewhere separately, because mine are worn out and twisted.

Kristian

If you can swing it, I think it's the way to go. The guys who did my top gave me a few options. They offered to replace the plastic with (a) this new polymer that doesn't scratch as easily and (2) sew it into the canvas rather than glue it, as had been done at the factory. This should prolong the life but since my canvas was already pretty worn I opted for glass.

Here's some pics...

Hi Kristian,

I can't find anything re: richandfamoustops on EBAY, but I'm not sure that it's such a good idea to buy something like this off of ebay anyway. Maybe you have more info about richandfamoustops actually having a desk and a chair (and a reputation) somewhere in the real world? Please advise if you do, because $1200 sounds $550 better than $1750.

Thanks,

-Mark

I copied and pasted some information from the last week auction that ended. I would just call them and ask about the product. The picture on the item looked exactly like the one on here.

I also went to their website

http://www.richandfamousautotops.com/

They seem pretty reputable to me.

Kristian

Meet the seller

Seller: richandfamousautotops( 726)

Member: since May-08-01 in United States

Rich and Famous Auto Tops

Description

Item Specifics - Item Condition

Condition: New

PORSCHE 996 CONVERTIBLE TOP W/ GLASS WINDOW AND HEADLINER

PRICE = $1,200 MATERIAL = GERMAN

COLOR = BLUE

THIS IS A BRAND NEW CONVERTIBLE TOP FOR A PORSCHE 996 MADE BY "RICH AND FAMOUS AUTO TOPS"

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL US AT 1-818-285-8595

Hi Kristian,

I can't find anything re: richandfamoustops on EBAY, but I'm not sure that it's such a good idea to buy something like this off of ebay anyway. Maybe you have more info about richandfamoustops actually having a desk and a chair (and a reputation) somewhere in the real world? Please advise if you do, because $1200 sounds $550 better than $1750.

Thanks,

-Mark

Mine were fine and didn't need replacing. You could probably buy them separate or have them do it for you.

I live in San Jose, CA. Can you provide me the name and phone number of the company that replaced your top? I am noticing a wear point and I'd like them to take a look to see if an adjustment can be made before it wears through.

I really appreciate it.

John

I had the vinyl window replacement (with tinted material) done on my 99 due to separation of the original at one corner. It was sewn in about three years ago. Cost me just over $500. Still looks great, approximately 18k miles later.

post-8562-1183438152_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Jones

How did you find a place that does just the plastic window replacement?

Kristian

I had the vinyl window replacement (with tinted material) done on my 99 due to separation of the original at one corner. It was sewn in about three years ago. Cost me just over $500. Still looks great, approximately 18k miles later.

Hi Kristian,

I checked out the richandfamous web site. Not so great. I called the richandfamous phone number. Not so knowledgeable. I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about them and would therefore be hesitant to deal with them. Maybe if I was local and could go into their shop I would have a different view.

-Mark

How did you find a place that does just the plastic window replacement?

Kristian

I did the plastic window on my cab. last year and I believe the charge was $350. Just find any auto interior or convertible top place in your area in the phone book and give them a call. I had many places that priced it out from $250- 800. so check around. Another option is chekc out the cab. top installers on the GAHH website and see who does there installs.

The shop that did mine, put in a new plastic window and double stitched it along with the glue.

• 4 years later...

Bump on an old thread.....I'm having the same problem with the window seal failing.

Yizzung....are you still happy with your replacement? It's the same one I'm considering.

John Jones or Capt601.....do you still have this car and if so, do you have any close ups of the stitching. I'm nervous about going that route. My top (and plastic for that matter) are still in great shape, but I want to make sure it looks good when it's done!

Thanks.

post-82278-0-54178600-1341132498_thumb.j

post-82278-0-02325900-1341132505_thumb.j

Edited by millechick