Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

retrofitting parking sensors

i got my 987S off the lot without the parking sensor system. i find that with the top up, there's little view of the rear, especially with parallel parking. i was wondering if anyone has installed the OEM reverse kit to their car, or at least knows if there is relay kit that will make the passenger side mirror tilt down when in reverse gear?

steve

'07-987S

Steve,

The smarttop device will give the the dipping mirror function along with the ability to control various other comfort settings and raise/ lower the hood with a one touch control wether parked or moving. As to the rear parking sensors , this needs an additonal control unit plus the sensors and wiring. It may even be a tequipment item , but would expect it to be pricey from Porsche.

Edited by berty987

• 4 months later...
i got my 987S off the lot without the parking sensor system. i find that with the top up, there's little view of the rear, especially with parallel parking. i was wondering if anyone has installed the OEM reverse kit to their car, or at least knows if there is relay kit that will make the passenger side mirror tilt down when in reverse gear?

steve

'07-987S

I have a '06 987S with electronic memory seats, and at least on my car, I can tilt the mirror down in reverse. There are 2 ways:

1. Put the car in reverse and the mirror adjustment knob to the passenger side (can be done in any order). The passenger mirror will tilt down.

2. You can save your preference with your seat (I believe "key") memory. Then every time you go into reverse, the mirror will tilt on its own.

Only those cars with memory seats have the full dipping mirror in reverse function. The smart top device only lowers the mirror , it doesnt put it back to its original position. The reason for this is the standard mirror only has 4 wires , the memory mirror has 6. My car originally had the wrong mirror fitted to the passenger side , so even with the memory function on the seat, the mirror would not return to the home position when driving forward or rotating the mirror select switch.

Edited by berty987

• 2 weeks later...
Only those cars with memory seats have the full dipping mirror in reverse function. The smart top device only lowers the mirror , it doesnt put it back to its original position. The reason for this is the standard mirror only has 4 wires , the memory mirror has 6. My car originally had the wrong mirror fitted to the passenger side , so even with the memory function on the seat, the mirror would not return to the home position when driving forward or rotating the mirror select switch.

The Smart Top is called RemoteKey for the 987. I had the Smart Top on my 986 and came across RemoteKey before I bought my 987 as I wanted some way of one-touch hood without it stopping mid way if you went too slow. :angry: As far as dipping rear mirror for reverse is concerned, selecting reverse tilts the passenger mirror. Then according to their manual (www.wilhelmy-it.de):

"After leaving reverse gear, the mirror will return back up if one of these conditions is met: a) 10 sec. inactivity or B) forward speed of >5mph is detected."

But note that you have to go through a setup procedure first to calibrate the mirror positions.

Cheers.

Hmm,

would be interesting to see how it does this , the OEM mirror relies on a potentiometer to relay info of the mirror's previous position. Without this feedback , I cannot see how the smart top can position back to where it was previously. It can only be a wild guess , based on a random pulse of power driving the mirror back up.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm,

would be interesting to see how it does this , the OEM mirror relies on a potentiometer to relay info of the mirror's previous position. Without this feedback , I cannot see how the smart top can position back to where it was previously. It can only be a wild guess , based on a random pulse of power driving the mirror back up.

could be something as simple as reversing the polarities on each axis for the exact same period of time, who knows.

I'd have to believe that, all things being equal, if you drove the X motor down for 1 second, and the Y motor left for 1 second, driving the X motor up and the Y motor right would yield similar (yet less accurate) results. Just a wild stab in the dark.

Or, as we used to say "These things work off of FM" ... "FM, really?" .. "Yeah, F%&!king Magic".