Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine shakes & shudders in 1st gear takeoff

When I let out the clutch in first gear, if I am not super careful the engine will shudder. Unless I give it a lot of throttle, I actually have to modulate the clutch pedal at different speeds throughout the clutch travel to keep the engine from shaking.

I have driven manual transmissions for over 20 years and have never had this problem. Hot/cold/incline/flat, nothing makes a difference.

Also I am starting to get wheel hop on right hand turns from a stop.

Any idea of what's going on? Could these be related?

MY02, 5 spd, 65K, stock.

Thanks.

When I let out the clutch in first gear, if I am not super careful the engine will shudder. Unless I give it a lot of throttle, I actually have to modulate the clutch pedal at different speeds throughout the clutch travel to keep the engine from shaking.

I have driven manual transmissions for over 20 years and have never had this problem. Hot/cold/incline/flat, nothing makes a difference.

Also I am starting to get wheel hop on right hand turns from a stop.

Any idea of what's going on? Could these be related?

MY02, 5 spd, 65K, stock.

Thanks.

This is clutch judder, likely either due to excessive wear of the clutch or oil contamination on the clutch plate, do you have an RMS leak?

there are other things that could cause it like engine mounting broken/weak or spongy and there is a possibility that the dual mass flywheel is knackered, however old clutch or contaminated plate is the most likely.

What happens is the clutch starts to bite, oil on one part of the centre plate causes a slip only for a good area of the plate to re-engage properly - to test this use high revs to pull away suggest 2000 ish ans slowly let the clutch out, if it pulls smoothly then you know its the centre plate, howver to be sure the box needs to come out and clutch taken out, if there is wear replace the lot and have the RMS done at the same time for a few pennies more. (cents in your case)

Edited by Glyn

Thanks Glyn. Yes I do have an RMS leak. I had a funny noise a while back and found out that it was oil contamination on the plate. The noise went away when I stopped keeping my foot on the clutch at stoplights and such. I didn't realize my shaking was connected too but it makes perfect sense. I have never had the clutch slip or anything so I believe that is still fine. I'll make sure to replace it all when I end up having to fix part of it. Thanks for your 2 cents (pennies in your case)

Edited by fasterjames

Can you be a little more specific on your right wheel hop? I may be having the same problem. Thanks.

If I already have my wheels turned and takeoff slowly I'll get a small amount of wheel hop - about the same as hitting one of those little road reflectors (in the south) or a stopping grate (in the north). If I go straight just a few inches this doesn't seem to happen. The same thing happens if I take off quickly but when it hops it bounces the whole back end. I am trying to mentally keep track of where it happens so that I can look more closely at the raod surfaces. It only lasts about 1 second. Tires in rear are about 70% worn.

What's happening with yours? Do you have any thoughts as to what it might be?

It also happens when I make right turns, I only have to accelerate a little bit and the rear tires start bouncing (at least that is what it feels like). I have also noticed it a little bit on the highway when there is a joint on the road ie. from asphalt to a concrete bridge. It is driving me nuts, the tires are less than a year old so that cannot be it. I have a month and a half left on my warraty so I'm going to take it to the dealer next week. But I would love to know what it is.