Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Install 02 GT3 chin spoiler on 02+ 996 standard bumper

Install 02 GT3 chin spoiler on 02+ 996 standard bumper

The project: Add lower chin spoiler to 2002 C2 standard bumper (08/01 and later facelift cars only). Cost - $211 plus ship Install time - about 1.5 hours Difficulty – 4 out of 10 (IMO) Tools – masking tape, screw gun, dremel Optional tools- two bricks, two medium size Fedex boxes (for the ghetto-style garage install..) Porsche part number: 996-505-986-92-01 I was trying to find a way to improve the aerodynamics of the OEM 02 C2 front bumper, without actually replacing the bumper. I figu

Edited by p0rsch3

------------------------------

DIY STUFF

------------------------------

Ok so here's the steps. This is a pretty easy install, you just need to have a good eye to line it up before you drill holes and screw down.

1. You need about 18" to 24" under the car to lay comfortably and adjust / fasten everything. Most of your work will be under the car.

So, get something SAFE to jack up your car with- Don't be ghetto like me with the "angled driveway 2-brick method" - I do not want to be responsible for you getting squished. btw, I used OSHA-approved bricks... :D

698289314_0aeab0ba42.jpg

Lay out a blanket after you have the car up high enough and lay the lip under the car: (sorry for the crappy pics, the afternoon sun was coming straight in behind the car)

698290436_69d681f90c.jpg

Clean the underside of the bumper and if neccessary chip off any scraped plastic (for those of you who park by braille...). You want a smooth surface.

709424355_691c5d0a3f_o.jpg

you will want to line up the center of lip with the center line of the car.

I used the center hole on the lip as a reference then stuck a sliver of white tape on the front edge of the lip. when I put the lip against the car the tape sliver gave me a center reference mark for the initial fitment.

697426523_fa3fc7346e.jpg

It is easiest to get your initial fit if you can sandwich the lip up to the car snugly, then move it around until it looks straight. i used a couple of boxes for the props that held the lip against the bumper. (those free Fedex boxes do come in handy!!)

MEASUREMENT:

I set the center of the lip 1/4" recessed from the front edge of the bumper.

On right and left bumper corners, the mounting side edge of lip should be flush with the underside front edge of bumper.

At the wheelwell sides, you should have approximately 1.2" of the lip ends protruding into the wheelwell area.

If you line up initially to these specs, you are off to a good start.

709554059_00752671c7_o.jpg

Now that you have it in place and have adjusted it around to get it even, use a piece of tape on the middle center of lip to hold the lip in place on the car. Ditto for each of the sides nearest the wheel well.

698283654_b9eb0eb24d.jpg

Now crawl under the car and look at the center mounting hole of the lip.

It should line up with the center screw that holds the bumper to the car.

this is a good check to be sure that you have every thing centered. If you do not, you will see a lot of the orange tape of the lip sticking out on one corner of the bumper or the other. So it's pretty easy to tell when you have it just right. You should barely see orange tape at either of the bumper corners or sides.

Now tape the lip to the bumper in several spots to hold it in place.

(This pic is just for reference of line-up- You should not have your screws in yet).

709423951_7e94de2942.jpg

Starting on the drivers side of the lip, grasp the white masking tape handle on the orange sticky cover and begin peeling it off of the adhesive. do this slowly and gently so as not to move the lip. press the adhesive up firmly to bond to car.

697419491_17d510c8f4.jpg

Now, you will begin putting in your screws and washers.

Start with the center and work your way out right / left.

I used a dremel with drill tip to make 1/8" pilot holes, then used a screw gun to put the screws in. Do NOT over-tighten or you will strip the plastic.

I put the screws in snug at first but was still able to slide the washers a bit.

I made a second pass with a hand screwdriver and while pushing the washers forward, tightened each screw.

697419885_e60ee0cedf.jpg

Put in the rest of the screws and pull tape off. Remove boxes.

697421165_c25890d07e.jpg

You will have to make one new hole on each end closest to the wheelwell.

Look on far right of pic- I popped in a new scew about 1" from wheelwell.

698285852_c7f4b5329d.jpg

Use a dremel and cut off the 1" lip overhang on each side.

698284960_d0119d59d5.jpg

698285324_39df40a9cc.jpg

Check your screws for tighness, and you are done!

717928678_df3636bf1e_o.jpg

Edited by p0rsch3

Porsche3,

Thanks so much for the DIY! :renntech: You did a great job. It looks really nice. Does the chin spoiler come in black only? Did you order it in black?

As for your "ghetto" techniques I think you are a good problem solver! Sometimes we have to be creative.

Your 996 is a beauty. Simple and clean. I have a white 99 with a body kit. Don't think that spoiler would work on mine because I'm sure the demensions are different.

Thanks again for the excellent pics and instructions.

Phillipj

post-7267-1183835249_thumb.jpg

Porsche3,

Thanks so much for the DIY! :renntech: You did a great job. It looks really nice. Does the chin spoiler come in black only? Did you order it in black?

As for your "ghetto" techniques I think you are a good problem solver! Sometimes we have to be creative.

Your 996 is a beauty. Simple and clean. I have a white 99 with a body kit. Don't think that spoiler would work on mine because I'm sure the demensions are different.

Phillipj

Thank you for the kind remarks. Yeah now that i moved to an apartment and no longer have the luxury of a full garage, I have to make do with what I can.

The lip only comes in black. It is poly. i'm sure you could paint it but IMO it is going to get scraped so why bother.

You know it may fit the 99 as well- the width and circumference of the underside of the bumper looks pretty close to the 02+.

BUT- I believe there is an under-lip available for the MKI GT2 bumper which would probably be the pre-facelift equivalent of mine. I think there is a Cup and a Street version of the Gt2 lip.

Maybe Loren can help research if there is in fact a GT2 lip available? I think it's like $100.

Edited by p0rsch3

The GT2 lip might fit but it is for a wide body car - so I am sure it would need to be bent and likely cut.

If you want more of an air dam then you should go with a cup car bumper or GT3RS front air dam.

Thanks for the info Loren. Think I will leave it as is. Will save the money for my next car!

Thanks again

Phillipj

Porsche3,

Phillipj

Thank you for the kind remarks. Yeah now that i moved to an apartment and no longer have the luxury of a full garage, I have to make do with what I can.

The lip only comes in black. It is poly. i'm sure you could paint it but IMO it is going to get scraped so why bother.

You know it may fit the 99 as well- the width and circumference of the underside of the bumper looks pretty close to the 02+.

BUT- I believe there is an under-lip available for the MKI GT2 bumper which would probably be the pre-facelift equivalent of mine. I think there is a Cup and a Street version of the Gt2 lip.

Maybe Loren can help research if there is in fact a GT2 lip available? I think it's like $100.

Thanks for the info. Since I already have to be careful with the spoiler as is I think I'll leave it alone. Again, nice job on your car.

Phillipj

Thanks for the info. Since I already have to be careful with the spoiler as is I think I'll leave it alone. Again, nice job on your car.

Phillipj

Well, your pcar looks just awesome as-is so I would't sweat it

• 1 year later...

Phillipj

Hey PORSCH3 .... your DIY thread is a gift that's keeps on giving fifteen months later. I'm ordering the same lip from Suncoast Fla. and will be using your gift to complete the install. Thanks! Sam

Phillipj

Hey PORSCH3 .... your DIY thread is a gift that's keeps on giving fifteen months later. I'm ordering the same lip from Suncoast Fla. and will be using your gift to complete the install. Thanks! Sam

Awesome- post up some pics when you are done!

• 8 months later...

You know, it just might. The underside of the 996 front is similar both pre and post facelift. Look under your pcar bumper and compare it to my pics in this thread.

I'd say worst case you'd have to trim off a bit more from each end if it overhangs into the front wheel wells. Very worst case it will not work at all and you have to mail it back, so for "trying" it would cost you the shipping. - That is the risk I took when I first guessed it might work on my pcar.

Edited by p0rsch3

• 7 months later...

I may have to do this on my '04 C2. Looks killer and thanks for the pics and instructions! One thing I may do differently is instead of screws, using a nut and bolt with the big washers on bith sides, or a small toggle bolt. I installed a very similiar chin spoiler on my '03 Mustang GT from a Mach 1 Mustang. Basicly exactly the same, but had it fastened from both sides. I feel safer with the nut on the other side, knowing the screws cannot pull out at high speeds! How did you merge the chin spoiler with the 2 black edges at either side near the tires?

Thanks!!

Edited by bigrob

I may have to do this on my '04 C2. Looks killer and thanks for the pics and instructions! One thing I may do differently is instead of screws, using a nut and bolt with the big washers on bith sides, or a small toggle bolt. I installed a very similiar chin spoiler on my '03 Mustang GT from a Mach 1 Mustang. Basicly exactly the same, but had it fastened from both sides. I feel safer with the nut on the other side, knowing the screws cannot pull out at high speeds! How did you merge the chin spoiler with the 2 black edges at either side near the tires?

Thanks!!

bigrob- You'll have a very difficult time using nuts / bolts since it is very tough to reach up under the lower apron underside (where you are attaching the screws to). Remember, the lip has 3M tape and it sticks very well. The large scews would take an immense amount of force to pull out. If you want to feel more secure, put some epoxy on the screw threads before screwing in and then coat the top of screw / washer with epoxy.

On the fender edges of the lip, just cut them to fit as in my pic above. It sort of tucks in nicely on it's own. Have fun!

Thanks!!

bigrob- You'll have a very difficult time using nuts / bolts since it is very tough to reach up under the lower apron underside (where you are attaching the screws to). Remember, the lip has 3M tape and it sticks very well. The large scews would take an immense amount of force to pull out. If you want to feel more secure, put some epoxy on the screw threads before screwing in and then coat the top of screw / washer with epoxy.

On the fender edges of the lip, just cut them to fit as in my pic above. It sort of tucks in nicely on it's own. Have fun!

Its not the edges of the chin spoiler i mean, I mean the 2 little black spoiler parts that are on the '04 valance already. At either side of my valance I have a small kinda spoiler piece. I dont think ur year car had them. I may need to show u a pic so u can c what I am talking about.

Its not the edges of the chin spoiler i mean, I mean the 2 little black spoiler parts that are on the '04 valance already. At either side of my valance I have a small kinda spoiler piece. I dont think ur year car had them. I may need to show u a pic so u can c what I am talking about.

yeah I'm not familiar with that, post up a pic!

Actually you DO have the same as I mentioned. They are visible in the pic where you point out the tab to cut off with the dremel. Yours have come away from the valance a little same as mine have, probably from the PO hitting a concrete stop in a parking lot. Anyway I was curious how you merged the spoiler at this point, caise I see you left these pieces in place.

Rob :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is the support topic for the DIY Tutorial Install 02 GT3 chin spoiler on 02+ 996 standard bumper. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

Just did this mod last night. Took about an hours start to finish, came out great and passed the 150MPH test :)

One thing I did differently is I used the factory plastic body rivets (like the ones used to on the GT3 themselves and other areas on our cars like fender plastic, etc.) They were like $.15 each or so and secure it very well and looks factory installed when done.

Thanks!