Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with Boxster Window Behavior

I am having a problem with my Boxster's driver's side window, which I suspect may be simple, but that I can't troubleshoot. My windows were working perfectly before I dropped my car off at a detailers. I got the car back today, and the driver's side window (and only that window), now will not stay lowered when the top is up and you are opening or closing the door. If you try and close the door, the top of the window glass impacts the bottom of the convertible top and the door will not close. You can get the glass to lower by lifting the handle and then closing the door (the glass raises again the second you take your hand off the handle, so it is tricky to get it to close). Somehow, I think the door's logic thinks it is always "closed", even when it is open.

The detailer only did the exterior of the car, not the interior, although they did do the doorjamb. Any thoughts on a sensor or adjustment they could have interfered with that I can put back? My sense is this is something simple, and I would hate to make a dealership trip out of it.

The car is a 2001 Boxster S, if that helps. It does have a Wilhelmy-It chip.

Thanks in advance.

Had similar problem with my car on a couple occasions. After much attempted troubleshooting I could not fix the problem took it to a certified porsche service shop where they ended up replacing the regulator and window motor.

Another time I had taken off the door panel to attempt to fix a door lock solenoid which was failing. It seems when I replaced the interior door panel I pinched a wire which caused problems with the window (would not go all the way up when door closed), again a trip to the dealer was necessary to find and fix the problem

One thing that you may try is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. This has helped me cure some window confusion in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this problem with your window not staying down???

I have exactly the same problem on my driver's door ('97 986 2.5, UK model); the window drops fine when either the internal or external door handle is lifted, but as soon as you release the handle with the door open, the window goes straight back up again - it won't stay down when the door is open. I think the car doesn't "know" that the door is open. Funny thing is, maybe one time in every 100 or so it will work fine and stay down... :huh:

Does anyone know the mechanics of how the window 'knows' that the door is open, that I can check? Also does anyone know which wires are involved (or better have a wiring diagram) so that I can check if there's any dodgy or loose connections?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers.

i would try disconnecting the neg battery cable for a minute first. (make sure you have your radio code). then re-attach the neg battery cable and re-train the windows by putting them all the way up and holding the button for 5 seconds, then all the way down and holding the button for 5 seconds. do it a couple times just to be sure.

there is a microswitch in the door that occasionally goes bad (door handle microswitch, i believe - should be a pretty cheap part). i don't know much about it... maybe someone else here does.

aside from those two suggestions, it could be your window regulator. the window regulator is the track, cable and cable spooling device that raises and lowers the window. when you order a 'regulator' it all comes as one interconnected part. swapping out the regulator is one of the easiest replacements you can do, and the hardest part is taking off the door panel without breaking any of the plastic pieces' tabs (but even if you do, they will still fit and work fine). a new regulator runs ~$150US from Sunset Imports and 1-2 hours labor if you DIY. a dealer will charge about $500US. a new window motor is not required in 99% of cases. if your window can be operated with the window button then the motor is fine.

14_figure8_ccw_lg.jpg

here is the best Window DIY out there: Regulator DIY

Thanks for the reply. I tried 're-training' the window as you suggested and it didn't make any difference. Also the microswitch appears to be working OK too as the I can hear it clicking when the door handle is pulled and the window does drop while the handle's lifted.

The problem is that the window doesn't stay 'dropped' when I let go of the door handle with the door open - it goes right back up again which makes closing the door with the roof up a bit tricky...

I also noticed last night that the interior light doesn't come on when I open that door - this makes me think more it is the car not 'knowing' that the door is open (ie. window goes back up when I let go of the door handle and the interior light not coming on). The interior light works just fine if I open the passenger door (the passenger window also stays 'dropped' with the door open), so I know its good.

Anyone know how this car 'knows' the door is open (ie. to keep the window dropped and turn the interior light on), or which wires are involved in all this so that I can check out? Is there a switch or something that tells the car that the door is open, that I can't find?

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Had the exact same problem with my '99. After reading many threads on this board disconneting/reconnecting battery without success, and getting all geared up to take off the door panel, examine switches, etc., we fixed it in 30 secs:

1. open door, holding exterior handle in up position so window doesn't go back up.

2. close door, holding exterior handle up.

3. really make sure you closed the door, have your dad throw his weight on it. If dad unvailabe, use own weight.

Now everythign works. I don't get it, but I like the results! Maybe it'll just start doing it again in a couple days, but it's working good now!