Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mesh-Screen for Front Bumper Grilles

I removed my front bumper cover last week to clean the radiators.

Took the opportunity to send the bumper cover to the bodyshop to fix some imperfections and get a fresh paintjob.

The debris that I cleaned off the radiators was enough to make me think of putting a mesh-screen behind the air-inlet grilles. :huh:

So since I couldn't drive the car without the front bumper,

and it won't be ready for pickup till tomorrow, I spent the time working on the mesh-screen.

I used a black plastic mesh for a subtle look, instead of the shiny metal mesh.

Here are pics the finished pieces, what do you guys thinK? I'm pretty happy with it. :)

And I'll post more pics after I've installed them on the car.

c4sbumpergrillmesh01wo8.jpg

c4sbumpergrillmesh02ta9.jpg

I pick-up my 2003 996 C4s on 10th August - As part of the Porsche dealer pre-used sale policy they carry out a 111 point Porsche check, replacing anything needing attention. As well as brake discs and pads front and rear, my car had both the radiators replaced due, I understand to stone damage (I'am assured there was no leak?) I too raised the point regarding the exposed nature of the rads and on asking if there was a Porsche after market mesh grille available I was very supprised to be told no! So like yourself, I thought I'll make a pair. Yours look really good, as for air flow mentioned, the mesh is so thin I really don't think this will be an issue. You could always check with Porsche technical through their customer service team in your respect country (assuming that like the uk you can't speak direct to technical) Post photos once they're fitted.

As this is my first Porsche I would appreciate any tips or advise you guys can offer on things besides the smoking exhaust on start-up and the RMS leak I need to be aware of. Thanks

I suspect that is you ask Porsche about the 'grills' they will say that it is up to you, but any 'overheating' that may occur and resultant damage will be at your risk. They love to cover their ***!!!! In reality the grills wont cause anything i believe and only in extreme situations (hard driven on track on a hot day) may you see elevated temperature. I have the 996 TT, which may be more accute unfortunately, thats my only worry..........

Congrats on your recent purchase, a very nice machine indeed............

Not bad at all...... How did you attatch it to the rear of the grills?? Wander if it will cut down the airflow into the rads much??? I constantly worry about stones perforating the rads, this has to be a good trick if the airflow is still quite good??

I used a hot-glue gun using black glue sticks. There is only one area however that is tucked into a slot securely.

So I'm kinda a little concerned about the temperature in that area, and if it will get hot enough to melt the hot glue.

Also, will have to see if it holds up to the wind-force at high speeds.

As for the airflow, I don't think that will affect it at all. It's not like an air-intake for the engine, just radiators.

Cosmo,

Wondering if some "discreet" placement of small black zip-ties would help secure it, the small ones that would be invisible or hard to see? I know that area can get over 170F from some track day measurements.....

Cosmo,

Wondering if some "discreet" placement of small black zip-ties would help secure it, the small ones that would be invisible or hard to see? I know that area can get over 170F from some track day measurements.....

Yes Izzy, that would be a good way to definitely secure it. But it wouldn't look good (I'm anal) to see those ties around the original vent strips. That's the only place you can tie around at. Otherwise, yes, that's a good idea to secure it for those who don't really mind the zip-ties showing.

I thought about it, worst case scenario, the plastic mesh-screen will come loose and get sucked in next to the radiators/AC condensers...not gonna do any damage really. Unless there's something I'm not aware of...

Btw...just curious how that area would get up to 170F. It's basically just outside air temp when the car is stationary, and when it's moving, it should be less. Is all the heat from the sun, or does the radiators produce that much heat? Afterall, there's a fan drawing the hot air from behind them.

Using my infrared temp gizmo, the track temp was 134 (black top). Anyway after a mid-afternoon run, I always look at my tire temps and pressure, as well as breaks and rotors and other parts. Took a read (shooting) around the air intake scoops and it was in the high 160s. The laser might have gone deeper than the front section

I finally got the freshly re-painted front bumper cover back, and installed it on the car with the modded grilles. :thumbup:

If any of you guys are interested to see the final results, and I've also done a DIY Write-Up with Pictures HERE

Edited by CosmosC4S

Took the opportunity to send the bumper cover to the bodyshop to fix some imperfections and get a fresh paintjob.

The debris that I cleaned off the radiators was enough to make me think of putting a mesh-screen behind the air-inlet grilles. :huh:

So since I couldn't drive the car without the front bumper,

and it won't be ready for pickup till tomorrow, I spent the time working on the mesh-screen.

I used a black plastic mesh for a subtle look, instead of the shiny metal mesh.

Here are pics the finished pieces, what do you guys thinK? I'm pretty happy with it. :)

And I'll post more pics after I've installed them on the car.

c4sbumpergrillmesh01wo8.jpg

c4sbumpergrillmesh02ta9.jpg

CosmoC4S,

Beautiful job.

Really nice finish and very subtle. Hope it holds up for you under heavy use. Please let us know!!

Phillipj

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just a question regarding your repainting of the bumper. How much did it set you back? I'm thinking of having mine repainted as well. I'm sure that the number of clear coats, location in the US, etc. play a big factor, but at least this will give me a ballpark to expect.

Thanks!

Those look great...I spent a few weekends cutting grills for 986s to see how they would sell on eBay...they sold very well, but I didn't want to spend time doing it anymore. I like the mesh you used...where did you purchase it?

Short story...I made these for a friend of mine...two months later he was driving on the freeway when a sizable stone perferated the mesh...it stuck in it though. With the damage to the cheap, replaceable mesh, he could tell that would have put a nice hole in the radiator, rather than bending the cooling fins. Worth the investment, and yes, you can use the black for a subtle look if you don't want it to look too flashy.

Good work.

Hello,

Just a question regarding your repainting of the bumper. How much did it set you back? I'm thinking of having mine repainted as well. I'm sure that the number of clear coats, location in the US, etc. play a big factor, but at least this will give me a ballpark to expect.

Thanks!

I paid $250 for the paintjob. As mentioned, I removed and installed the bumper myself.

• 1 year later...

We use that type of glue at work and I think is not able to remain harden when temperature rise when car stop after a long run.

It could pe possible that glue loose it's force and be sprayed in direction of radiators closing a part of vias.

Make some test before leave defentively in place.

Ciao.