Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Opinions on two cars

Hi all,

Obviously it's my first post here. I've been reading a bit, trying to learn as much as possible, and would appreciate any thoughts / opinions you might have about the following two 911s.

#1: http://tinyurl.com/2njuvt

#2: http://tinyurl.com/3bckl3

My take is they're pretty similar cars, with the most significant difference being that #1 is a year newer. Equipment list is comparable - the 2000 has the 18" wheels and PSM, while the 2001 has a hardtop, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in the NE. All in all though, I think I'd prefer the wheels and PSM to the hardtop.

The 2000 apparently has a small oil leak between the engine and transmission (I'm assuming that's the notorious RMS leak?), which I'd want taken care of by the dealer. The 2001 is being sold by a (non-Porsche) franchised highline dealer and is a one owner car, which I suppose has some value.

So beyond anything I may have missed, I'm wondering if it's worth another $5000 (which I can afford, but is more than I want to spend) for the 2001.

As I said earlier, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

I do like the wheels on #2 better but I would go with #1. The paint on the front bumper cover on #2 doesn’t match. Why? If it was repainted because of minor damage or just because of chips no need to worry but I would want the paint to match.

The 01 has the three spoke stirring wheels (a lot of people prefer the three spoke), cup holder and it looks like a painted center console.

Both cars look nice. That being said, it's hard to compare two cars from pictures and write ups. The first one has a few nice interior things like the three spoke wheel. I personally like the wheels on the first one better. These cars are very much a personal preference thing. I think the best rule of thumb is to get the best equipped best condition car you can for the money. Upgrades and repairs can be pricey. The hard top is nice, but you do have to have a place to store it when it's not on the car. Mine occupies a large space in an unused bedroom. Don't know if headroom is an issue for you, but the car seems to have a lot more headroom with the hardtop on versus the soft top. Good luck.

Will

One thought...at ~$45K you can some find some higher mile MY02 cabs. In 2002 Porsche increased the engine from a 3.4L to 3.6L engine with a subsequent power increase from 300 HP to 316 HP. Additionally, they changed the front-end to be less Boxster like. Best of luck in your search!

Price seems kind of high for my taste, for the year. Have you checked with Porsche website used car search? You can also look at your local Porsche dealers used cars. I just did a quick search, for instance a 2003 coupe certified (read: Warranty from Porsche) listed at $49K. Porsche dealers have more overhead to feed so their prices can be higher, but it gives you a comparison for other shops. My last car I bought from a dealer 1500 miles away, sometimes negotiation with dealers can pay off and the warranty is sweet since it is by Porsche. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments; you've helped me narrow things down quite a bit.

I think what makes the most sense is for me to look for either a $35K 99-01 or, if I'm going to spend $45K, look for a 2002. If at $45K I can get something Porsche certified with a warranty, that's a big plus.

What unfortunately doesn't help is that I'm only interested in Guards Red/Black or Speed Yellow/Black, neither of which is particuarly common. I'm not in a rush though so hopefully the right vehicle will turn up.

As I keep looking, I've got a couple of equipment questions I could use some help with.

What isn't leather on a partial-leather car that is on a full-leather car?

Is traction control only offered as part of PSM?

Are there two versions of the 18" turbo wheel? It seems as if some have a much smaller lip than others.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.