Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help - how to remove rounded bolt?

HELP

Whilst changing my seat belts to some red ones I picked up all was going well until I went to remove the main bolt on the passengers belt (a pic here taken from someone else's thread):

seatbeltchange020au4.jpg

I've slightly rounded the head using my spanner and the bolt just won't budge. As its in such an awkward position, I can't get the spanner in any other way. Whomever tightened this bolt originally used way too much pressure!

Anyone got any tips or suggestions as to what I can do?

• Moderators

I have not tried to remove that bolt so I do not know what the clearance issues are.

If you have a 6 point socket for a ratchet wrench can you get that on the bolt head?

If you are using an open end wrench/spanner. Then might also try a box/closed end wrench. Do not know what this is called in the UK.

I have not tried to remove that bolt so I do not know what the clearance issues are.

If you have a 6 point socket for a ratchet wrench can you get that on the bolt head?

If you are using an open end wrench/spanner. Then might also try a box/closed end wrench. Do not know what this is called in the UK.

I know what tools you mean. It was the socket wrench that rounded off the edges to start with as the bolt appears to tightened beyond belief (the other seatbelt was a breeze to remove). I used the spanner afterwards so that it would utilise the flat edges of the bolt.

I may have to dremmel the old seatbelt off which is annoying as I wanted to try to sell the pair on eBay or keep them in case I want to swap them back when I sell the car.

Has anyone heard of bolt extractors e.g. Irwin bolt extractors?

Well I bought myself a set of these:

3910_1.jpg

In essence its a normal socket that fits on the end of a ratchet with spiral teeth with a reverse thread.

I soaked the bolt with penetrating fluid and after about a minute or 2 of swearing and cursing, the bolt finally gave way. I have no idea how strong the booga was who put this on - I'm hardly a svelte chap and it took some effort to release.

Having looked at the damage I had caused to the bolt, its actually a very soft metal which I found strange.

Oh well, just need to get a new bolt now...

Well I bought myself a set of these:

3910_1.jpg

In essence its a normal socket that fits on the end of a ratchet with spiral teeth with a reverse thread.

I soaked the bolt with penetrating fluid and after about a minute or 2 of swearing and cursing, the bolt finally gave way. I have no idea how strong the booga was who put this on - I'm hardly a svelte chap and it took some effort to release.

Having looked at the damage I had caused to the bolt, its actually a very soft metal which I found strange.

Oh well, just need to get a new bolt now...

glad you solved that problem.

those irwin tools look awesome. may have to buy a set just to have on hand in case.