Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Passenger Seat Water

I am trying to pin down the source of a water leak behind the passenger seat. I thought it might be AC condensation, but we just had a ton of rain and the car has not been driven so it has to be leaking in from outside. Ran a clothes hanger down the drainage holes under the soft top and poured water through. They appear to be clear as water is draining out on to the pavement. I am trying to access what is labeled here (http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/drainsdiagram) as "Water Drainage: From the water tray" but I cannot figure out how to access that drainage line.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

:renntech:

Have you checked the drain that comes from the battery tray yet? Water that runs down the windshield uses this drain. If it was clogged it would leak under the dash before it got behind the seat though. You may want to look at your right side floor up front too.

Luckily I found mine quickly from a musty smell that was water baking in car during the day's heat. In addition, I must have run over something that popped the drain tube up and knocked out the grommet leading to the floor. I'm not sure which event caused my wet floor but two things were certain, the drain was clogged and the drain tube was leading into my car. Neither are good for rainy central FL.

Good luck in your diagnosis.

post-13500-1186667890_thumb.jpg

I am trying to pin down the source of a water leak behind the passenger seat. I thought it might be AC condensation, but we just had a ton of rain and the car has not been driven so it has to be leaking in from outside. Ran a clothes hanger down the drainage holes under the soft top and poured water through. They appear to be clear as water is draining out on to the pavement. I am trying to access what is labeled here (http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/drainsdiagram) as "Water Drainage: From the water tray" but I cannot figure out how to access that drainage line.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

maybe the amount of rain overwhelmed the emptying capacity of the drains. or maybe you pushed through anything that was blocking the drains when you used the coathanger.

at this point, you may want to put a large plastic Ziploc bag around the alarm/locking computer under the driver's seat (i know that your problem was under the passenger seat, but water can also find its way under the driver's seat - which is even worse). you will need to remove the seat to do it. then unscrew the screws that hold it to the floor. put the bag around it so that the wiring harness sticks out the 'top' of the bag, then screw the alarm/locking computer back into the floor. you may want to use rubber washers on the inside and outside of the bag where the screw holes are. by Ziploc-ing your alarm/locking computer, you may save yourself a BIG headache in the future. i wish i knew enough to do it. so now you have no excuse. ;)

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

maybe the amount of rain overwhelmed the emptying capacity of the drains. or maybe you pushed through anything that was blocking the drains when you used the coathanger.

at this point, you may want to put a large plastic Ziploc bag around the alarm/locking computer under the driver's seat (i know that your problem was under the passenger seat, but water can also find its way under the driver's seat - which is even worse). you will need to remove the seat to do it. then unscrew the screws that hold it to the floor. put the bag around it so that the wiring harness sticks out the 'top' of the bag, then screw the alarm/locking computer back into the floor. you may want to use rubber washers on the inside and outside of the bag where the screw holes are. by Ziploc-ing your alarm/locking computer, you may save yourself a BIG headache in the future. i wish i knew enough to do it. so now you have no excuse. ;)

thanks for the help. The drain near the battery tray was clogged, so I cleared that. If that doesn't fix it, my plan is to pull the seat and the carpet, put the car under a sprinkler and see where its coming in from!

thanks for the help. The drain near the battery tray was clogged, so I cleared that. If that doesn't fix it, my plan is to pull the seat and the carpet, put the car under a sprinkler and see where its coming in from!

the water is coming from one of the 4 drains. there are two by the battery and two under the clamshell. if the carpet behind the passenger seat is wet, then it is the clamshell drain on that side that is causing it. if the carpet in the passenger footwell is wet, then it is the battery drain on that side. same thing for driver's side wetness.

i would not do the sprinkler test unless your alarm/locking computer is protected as i mentioned above. if you fry the alarm/locking computer you are going to have an expensive headache to deal with.

i would just make sure your drains are clear and check them periodically. you might also look for tears in the clamshell area foam barrier.