Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Disabling top sensors

In case I need to go back to operating the top manually, is there a way to turn the sensors off? I am asking because every time I drove with the top manually put down the windows would go down the typical 1" or so whenever I hit a bump on the road. This kind of makes sense, because I am assuming that the clamshell is bouncing, causing the sensors to send some 'on' signal. If I could disable these sensors, then the windows would behave normally.

TIA,

Azzar0.

i believe this is due to a loose/malfunctioning top latch microswitch (where you latch the leading edge of the conv top to the windshield frame). you could either use a 'red clip' to keep the switch pushed in when the top is down, replace the microswitch, or try to repair the microswitch. if you search for 'top latch microswitch' you may find it. i believe that a wire connection comes loose and just needs to be re-soldered.

if you think about it, the windows normally drop when you unlatch the top and that 'button' (that the top latch pushes in when the top is closed) is released. when you go over a bump, the microswitch erroneously reports that the top is being unlatched and the windows drop.

i believe this is due to a loose/malfunctioning top latch microswitch (where you latch the leading edge of the conv top to the windshield frame). you could either use a 'red clip' to keep the switch pushed in when the top is down, replace the microswitch, or try to repair the microswitch. if you search for 'top latch microswitch' you may find it. i believe that a wire connection comes loose and just needs to be re-soldered.

if you think about it, the windows normally drop when you unlatch the top and that 'button' (that the top latch pushes in when the top is closed) is released. when you go over a bump, the microswitch erroneously reports that the top is being unlatched and the windows drop.

Hi Chris,

That makes sense. The windows didn't go down when the top was up because the switch was always pushed in by the latch.

I'll keep that in mind in case I need to use the top manually again.

Wait a second... If it is the top switch, how come it doesn't do it when the top is operated in automatic mode? Is it because the clamshell sensors tell the computer that the top is completely down and therefore it ignores the latch sensor?

Thanks!

Edited by azzar0

Hi Chris,

That makes sense. The windows didn't go down when the top was up because the switch was always pushed in by the latch.

I'll keep that in mind in case I need to use the top manually again.

Wait a second... If it is the top switch, how come it doesn't do it when the top is operated in automatic mode? Is it because the clamshell sensors tell the computer that the top is completely down and therefore it ignores the latch sensor?

Thanks!

i'm not sure i know what you mean about the windows not dropping in 'automatic mode'. do you mean that when the top was working by pushing the button, etc., that the windows didn't drop when going over bumps? if so, i'm not sure why that wouldn't happen. maybe the top latch microswitch was working intermittently and now it's at the point where it's completely broken.

the 'clamshell sensor' (which is basically the little switch on top of the conv top cable motor) doesn't know whether the top is up or down, it just knows that the clamshell is resting on the switch, pushing it down. so i still think it's the top latch microswitch.