Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ding-ding or bells?

I posted this to the Rennlist board. Driving tonite with my brother and every time I started out in first (99 996 C2 w/32K miles) he said he heard a low pitched "ding-ding" bell that was coming from the area of the dash between the center console and the steering wheel. I pulled over and went thru starting out in first several times and each time he said he heard the ding-ding. Loren ran the DME on his computer a couple weeks ago and the only thing that showed up was a fault in the micro switch in the front trunk....it shows the trunk open when it's not....so when I lock it I get that little beep that says something is open...but it's not.

I have a hearing loss, so I couldn't hear anything, but there were no dash lights illuminated, no gauges flashed, all dash lights illuminate at startup for the failsafe check. The car has the 220 and 222 PSM options. I turned off the radio to make sure we weren't getting bleedover from some song.

I have no idea what is causing this....or what the car mihgt be trying to tell me. Any suggestions?

Chuck

I posted this to the Rennlist board. Driving tonite with my brother and every time I started out in first (99 996 C2 w/32K miles) he said he heard a low pitched "ding-ding" bell that was coming from the area of the dash between the center console and the steering wheel. I pulled over and went thru starting out in first several times and each time he said he heard the ding-ding. Loren ran the DME on his computer a couple weeks ago and the only thing that showed up was a fault in the micro switch in the front trunk....it shows the trunk open when it's not....so when I lock it I get that little beep that says something is open...but it's not.

I have a hearing loss, so I couldn't hear anything, but there were no dash lights illuminated, no gauges flashed, all dash lights illuminate at startup for the failsafe check. The car has the 220 and 222 PSM options. I turned off the radio to make sure we weren't getting bleedover from some song.

I have no idea what is causing this....or what the car mihgt be trying to tell me. Any suggestions?

Chuck

Could it be the OBC's (On Board Computer) speed limit? Once you exceed the set speed it gives you the ding-ding.

Tool Pants....you might have something.....when I first got the car I was dinking around with the various features reading the owners manual....and I DID mess around with the speed control warning. That was over a year ago, and my hearing has degenerated badly since then. thanks so much for what sounds like a great suggestion. I'll dig out the owner's manual and re-read about the speed control.....

Definitely not seat belt....that is much louder and I can hear that one.

Chuck,

Being a 99, does your radio face come off? It if does, remove it and reset it, maybe clean the contacts on the bottom. I had a similar issue with my 99, ended up being the radio thought the face was "open" and would do a "ding-ding", faint.

Izzy

I washed the car this evening and took it for a drive afterwards. I listened carefully and I'll be dogone if I didn't hear the ding-ding myself. I pulled over and stopped and started out again. The ding-ding occurs at 18mph only if you start from a dead stop. I stopped again, and heard it again at 18mph. I got my wife to drive and we both hooked up seat belts to make sure it wasnt a belt alarm....nope.....every time she hit 18 mph, the ding-ding occurred....she said she also heard it when the car's speed dropped back down to 18-20 mph. It's a very soft sounding bell and has me totally perplexed.

I haven't tried the radio face suggestion you made....I'll try that tomorrow.

Now that you have confirmed that the sound does happen, it's kinda weird, and a mystery. :huh:

If it was the speed limit alarm, there should be a visible light warning on the dash as well.

And I'm sure you can easily check the speed limit setting to verify that.

I'd like to know what caused that.

I think Cosmo is right, if it is at a specific speed, that "ding" can easily be it. On my 2003 the dash was have a message, but on the 1999 I didn't think it did. Check the OBC setting. The radio issue I had would happen at any speed.

The prize goes to Cos and Edwuard: I had also posted to the Rennlist board and got one of the same suggestions there. As it turns out, my onboard computer showed my miles per gallon at 19....and the speed control was also set to 19 mph...so when I'd go thru the onboard computer features looking for a culprit, I saw the 19 and figured the speed control was the mpg readout and blow by it.

After getting your suggestions....I looked more closely and saw a greater than arrow after a 19 on one of the onboard computer readouts....and pulled the stalk forward and held it and it cancelled the 19....and no more dings. I also read in the owner's manual under the index heading of "Gong" that this feature can be set for speeds "greater than 6 mph". Why anyone would want a gong at these low speeds escapes me.

Bottom line....mystery solved. My thanks to all you who provided input and potential solutions. Another one chalked up to the list of dummy scenarios.

:clapping: All Right! Glad you got your sanity back!

I'm surprised it's possible to set the speed limit that low, just doesn't make any sense.

I know you can't set the cruise control at that speed!

Those dings for the speed limit are quite loud, Chuck.

Like you said, you must really have some hearing impairment.

Edited by CosmosC4S

Driving around in my automible

My baby besides me at wheel.....

Ding - ding goes the bell

the cook in the lunch room is ready to sell....

Remeber that one Chuck? Couldn't help to make the connection between ding-ding, you, and Chuck Berry. Got to stop drinking this Cuban coffee.....