Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stereo woes and JL Clean Sweep

Mates,

I am having my JL Clean Sweep installed tomorrow, and hope i will be able to run the iPod through it. Am also having the speakers upgraged, and an amp installed- no fun going 90 without tunes and the top down!

Short, uninteresting history- i had a boxster, took out the factory stuff and put in Alpine and amps and new speakers. Sounds great, except for the engine whine occasionally. In my 03 911, I can't pull the head unit. I tried the Harmon/Kardon Drive+play. It whined like a bratty two year old! I only had it in one day, and then took it out.

Does the Clean Sweep match well with our systems?

Thanks!

Mates,

I am having my JL Clean Sweep installed tomorrow, and hope i will be able to run the iPod through it. Am also having the speakers upgraged, and an amp installed- no fun going 90 without tunes and the top down!

Short, uninteresting history- i had a boxster, took out the factory stuff and put in Alpine and amps and new speakers. Sounds great, except for the engine whine occasionally. In my 03 911, I can't pull the head unit. I tried the Harmon/Kardon Drive+play. It whined like a bratty two year old! I only had it in one day, and then took it out.

Thanks!

How did it turn out? I have a 99 with the CDR-220, which contains auxiliary input connections, line-out connections and has the ability to switch between the nonlinear factory setting and linear output. I have an iPod connected to my auxiliary input and use the line out for my subwoofer. Whenever I get around to it, I'm going to hook up a high-end amp to the line out connections to drive my aftermarket MB Quart speakers. For the CDR-210/220 units, a cleansweep provides no advantage, I confirmed this with JL Audio tech support. The only thing the Cleansweep really does is convert a nonlinear factory stereo output to a linear output, and provide the ability to take input from a secondary device (like your iPod). Unfortunately with a cleansweep, you can only use two channels so you no longer have front to rear fade capability. I'm not sure what type of head unit you have, so I can't say if you had the same options as the older Becker CDR series did.

Mates,

Thanks!

How did it turn out? I have a 99 with the CDR-220, which contains auxiliary input connections, line-out connections and has the ability to switch between the nonlinear factory setting and linear output. I have an iPod connected to my auxiliary input and use the line out for my subwoofer. Whenever I get around to it, I'm going to hook up a high-end amp to the line out connections to drive my aftermarket MB Quart speakers. For the CDR-210/220 units, a cleansweep provides no advantage, I confirmed this with JL Audio tech support. The only thing the Cleansweep really does is convert a nonlinear factory stereo output to a linear output, and provide the ability to take input from a secondary device (like your iPod). Unfortunately with a cleansweep, you can only use two channels so you no longer have front to rear fade capability. I'm not sure what type of head unit you have, so I can't say if you had the same options as the older Becker CDR series did.

So far, so good. I hooked the front speakers, dash and door, to one channel, and the back to the other. I used a Boston Acoustic speaker crossover to send the lows to the door and the highs to the dash, giving me two tweeters up there, in effect. Sounds fine for now, and if i want to change later, i can put the Boston Acoustic speakers in. No plans for that right now, as the music sounds fine.

The fade works "okay". Cleansweep wants me to quit using my radio volume knob, and just use theirs, leaving my stock radio at the point they set on install. I couldn't do it! I max the Cleansweep audio, and use the radio knob for volume control. (on the ipod hookup, you have to use the Cleansweep knob, but i haven't tried it yet.) Yes, I lose some of the sound quality that way, but honestly, with the top down, I am not getting a symphony hall sound anyway! I just needed more volume.

I have used Quart speakers in the past, but they are now owned by Rockford Fosgate, and my installer said they aren't as good anymore. FoCal are the brand they sell. I have premium Porsche speaker package, and I haven't changed speakers yet. Again, the sound is okay, and with the top down, there is some sound quality loss no matter what speakers, IMHO.

You should use Rockford Fosgate's 3SIXTY instead of the JL piece. In addition to removing the factory EQ (if needed), the unit has up to 6 channels in, 6 channels out (keep your fader and volume control), this cool subwoofer level knob which doubles as a AUX input level adjuster (you just push the knob and it automatically goes into AUX mode) and tons of EQ so you can take advantage of those speakers while overcoming the issues with them being installed in a car. There's even an EQ for the AUX input, so you can boost the extreme lows and highs to recover the losses from compression in your iPod.

For clarification, MB Quart used to be owned by RF. Now owned by Maxxsonics. That's why they went down.

I know I should describe my vehicle, I have an '02 C2 (6-spd) in Seal Grey, with grey interior over black carpet. A couple of DIY mods but will get more serious as the weather cools. My audio system is "in-process" and will post pics when done. I'm a fan of keeping the weight down, maximizing my interior space, and optimizing each component to get accurate and dynamic sound. :renntech: