Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sim Card Options for Phone Module on 997

• 1 month later...

I tried cloning my SIM card with a kit I bought off eBay, and ended up frying it. I ended up adding another line to my service, as pulling the sim out of my phone each time I drove wasn't worth the hassle. FWIW, I'm in Houston, and got HORRIBLE reception using ATT. At the suggestion of my Porsche dealer, I switched to a T-Mobile SIM, and it works much better. I actually tested both SIM's (ATT & T-Mobile) by driving on the same freeway with each while talking to my wife. I could not complete a call with ATT without having it drop. T-Mobil did not drop calls on this same road.

I tried cloning my SIM card with a kit I bought off eBay, and ended up frying it...

please give more detail. Was this user error or did the kit not work properly? What, specifically, caused your sim to be erased?

Not trying to be critical, just wanting more information. I've been talking to a local and he said he can handle a duplicate

I tried cloning my SIM card with a kit I bought off eBay, and ended up frying it...

please give more detail. Was this user error or did the kit not work properly? What, specifically, caused your sim to be erased?

Not trying to be critical, just wanting more information. I've been talking to a local and he said he can handle a duplicate

I've got no idea what went wrong. I bought the kit to do it off eBay (probably my first mistake), and followed the cryptic instructions. Ended up with a disabled sim. It could have been my error, or something wrong with the kit. I went to ATT & said "it just broke", and they gave me a new one. I've subsequently switched to T-Mobile, and get MUCH better results from the Porsche phone.

• 3 months later...
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a solution to using the phone in the 997 without

having to take out my sim card from my mobile every time.

Vodafone tells me they do not make copies of sim cards.

Thanks!

Jorge

"Single Number lets you have the same number on your Orange mobile phone and on your PDA or car phone. Which means one bill, one Answerphone, one price plan ..." http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...d=1135953583381

Orange in the Uk provide for this - you get two sim's on the same number. when the car sim is switched on all your calls go to that sim. as soon as you switch it off then all calls go to the other sim - it simple and it works. The only downside is when you lend you porsche to someone else - they get all your calls. The souloution - never lend out your porsche !!!

BTW it a five quid a month service

• 2 months later...

I buy $10 T-mobile prepaid sim card and forward my iphone to the sim card everytime I drive my car. Unforward the iphone once I'm on my destination.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a solution to using the phone in the 997 without

having to take out my sim card from my mobile every time.

Vodafone tells me they do not make copies of sim cards.

Thanks!

Jorge

"Single Number lets you have the same number on your Orange mobile phone and on your PDA or car phone. Which means one bill, one Answerphone, one price plan ..." http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...d=1135953583381

Orange in the Uk provide for this - you get two sim's on the same number. when the car sim is switched on all your calls go to that sim. as soon as you switch it off then all calls go to the other sim - it simple and it works. The only downside is when you lend you porsche to someone else - they get all your calls. The souloution - never lend out your porsche !!!

BTW it a five quid a month service

• 4 weeks later...
Good idea on the prepaid sim card option! Have you found one that doesn't expire after 30 days?

No, I have not. But you can buy a years worth of prepaid time. I believe you get more minutes per year of anniversay. Almost all of the wireless providers are offering prepaid but you have to do your research in your area as some are cheaper and some are less restrictive.

BTW, I am not an affiliate of T-Mobile or any provider. I just know that T-Mobile works best for me.