Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replace brake rotors and pads...

I'm about to replace all my brake rotors (incl. pads) -- and have decided to do it myself (first time). I've gotten new brake sensors for the rear (where the pads are very low) but since the front pads are okay, I assume I can re-use the old sensors... no?

If you can think of anything I should know/look for before I roll up my sleeves, pray tell.

-- peer

Peer,

Don't forget to replace the brake damper plates ( 2 per wheel) (prevents squeaking) , tension spring kit (1 kit for 2 wheels) and caliper bolts (2 per wheel.) These are inexpensive and should be replaced at the time of doing pads and rotors.

These replacements will prevent you from the possibility of having to do the job over again.

I did my fronts on my 996 and paid about $470 for everything including shipping online (all OEM) The work perfect and no squeak.

http://www.trademotion.com

Good luck with your brakes!

Phillipj

• Moderators

If you can get the old sensors out in one piece, you can reuse them. The only caution I have for you is that the plastic material they are made of can get very brittle with the heat they have to endure and they may fall apart as you pry them out of the old pad. IF they do fall apart, don't fret. Just tie-wrap them up out of the way on the strut somewhere (that way the brake warning light on the dash will stay off), finish our brake job and replace them at a later date at your convenience.

Check out Trygve Isaacson's excellent Boxster brake pages:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/intro/

If you want to skip the initial brake tutorial and go straight to the meat of changing them, click here:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/proje.../change_rotors/

This is a great writeup that will give you all the info you need to confidently tackle this job by yourself. Once you have finished, you'll wonder why you ever paid someone to do it for you.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for advising on this job -- so I finally changed all my brake-rotors and pads (well, my Ducati buddy did it for me ;^) The front took only 50 minutes, while the rear took us a bit longer since we had to solder the censors (somehow I ended up with a pair that had different connectors). Now the brake-wear light is finally off, and I'm happy as a clam.

-- peer