Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dashboard Cup Holder Replacement

I tried a word search for this issue but found nothing directly applicable. So I apologize if I have missed a prior post for this issue.

The last time I pushed the dual-slot, single arm cup holder back into the dashboard in my 2003 Boxster, it gave me a moderate level of resistance. Never happened before and I should have heeded this warning, but I continued to push it all the way back in. Now it is stuck. I tried removing the radio to gain access to it (super easy with those two removal clip tools--sweet!), but obviously the A/C display unit is between the radio hole and the cup holder slot. I am definitely not flexible enough to reach around it. Not sure anyone really could!

Is there an easy way to remove the A/C control unit, just enough to gain access to my stuck cup holder from the back side? I don't want to simply pry it out with a screwdriver or something because the plastic fascia on the cupholder is so very flimsy that it will surely break off if I were to tug at it. I also don't want to force or break the cupholder arm or pivoting mechanisms, as I actually find the cupholder quite serviceable, if indeed very flimsy.

Any advice or a pertinent web link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I tried a word search for this issue but found nothing directly applicable. So I apologize if I have missed a prior post for this issue.

The last time I pushed the dual-slot, single arm cup holder back into the dashboard in my 2003 Boxster, it gave me a moderate level of resistance. Never happened before and I should have heeded this warning, but I continued to push it all the way back in. Now it is stuck. I tried removing the radio to gain access to it (super easy with those two removal clip tools--sweet!), but obviously the A/C display unit is between the radio hole and the cup holder slot. I am definitely not flexible enough to reach around it. Not sure anyone really could!

Is there an easy way to remove the A/C control unit, just enough to gain access to my stuck cup holder from the back side? I don't want to simply pry it out with a screwdriver or something because the plastic fascia on the cupholder is so very flimsy that it will surely break off if I were to tug at it. I also don't want to force or break the cupholder arm or pivoting mechanisms, as I actually find the cupholder quite serviceable, if indeed very flimsy.

Any advice or a pertinent web link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The trim around the a/c unit is only held in with clips. If you gently pry on each side - a bit at a time, it will release and come off. There are compression clips near each corner. Once that trim is off, there are four screws that release the a/c control unit.

The trim for the cup holder is essentially the same - held in by four clips and four screws. You don't need to remove the a/c unit to get the cup holder, though it might be easier to remove the a/c trim - since you have already removed the radio. Once the a/c trim is off, you are likely to be able to remove the cupholder trim much easier.

Hope this helps.

David

David,

Many thanks for the advice. I will try to carefully pry off the A/C and/or the cupholder console panels, after building up some courage. I am very wary of breaking any of that cheap plastic on the dash. I couldn't live with that. So easy does it, I guess.

The various after-market cup holders are very intriguing, but the good ones are pretty expensive.

Thanks again.

Mike

David,

Many thanks for the advice. I will try to carefully pry off the A/C and/or the cupholder console panels, after building up some courage. I am very wary of breaking any of that cheap plastic on the dash. I couldn't live with that. So easy does it, I guess.

The various after-market cup holders are very intriguing, but the good ones are pretty expensive.

Thanks again.

Mike

I think the biggest concern on this plastic stuff is how easily it is scratched or scuffed. Use a soft plastic pry tool with a soft cloth (old t shirt) to protect surfaces. It isn't as hard as it appears.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I think people were giving you advice on the 01-02 cupholder. you have an 03, which would require removal of the horseshoe as the first step. then you'll see the 2 little locking tabs on the top left and right of the cupholder. push those in to slide the cupholder contraption out.