Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TCP boxster Supercharger…won’t fit. Any body done it?

Hello,

Any body have experience installing a TCP supercharger (99 2.5l Boxster 5 spd if it matters). I picked up a used one and I do know my way around a wrench quite well. I could not though, get one of the pipes from the blower up through to the top of the engine. TCP claims it’s bolt . I couldn’t for all the money in the world get the thing through. Tips tricks...?

Also, If you’ve a good blog or pics of the installation that would be great! Tcp manual leaves a lot to be desired (dig those illustrations)

Thanks PK

A guy on 986forum.com did a tpc sc on his 986. I dont know the exact thread but I think his name was ohioboxster.

Hello,

Any body have experience installing a TCP supercharger (99 2.5l Boxster 5 spd if it matters). I picked up a used one and I do know my way around a wrench quite well. I could not though, get one of the pipes from the blower up through to the top of the engine. TCP claims it’s bolt . I couldn’t for all the money in the world get the thing through. Tips tricks...?

Also, If you’ve a good blog or pics of the installation that would be great! Tcp manual leaves a lot to be desired (dig those illustrations)

Thanks PK

A guy on 986forum.com did a tpc sc on his 986. I dont know the exact thread but I think his name was ohioboxster.

[

Thanks for your reply. I think i know him (dealt with a "Matt" in Ohio with respect to his sc job) had a blog of sorts but was apparently missing, for some reason, a lot the pertinant stuff. Last I heard he sold it but it's worth looking into.

Thanks again

PK

I'm a little disappointed in how the quality of that kit looks, maybe it's the pictures or the fact it's all dirty and old, but that doesn't really look that great. It's probably the lack of engine room space that makes it all like that I guess...

Edited by 986Jim

TODD!!

THATS MINE!!!!

Talk to me!!!!

Bought it used from a guy in LA a couple of years ago, Had it on a lift for 3 days, just could not get one of the pipes from the sc up through to the top, Been sitting in my trunk since. Finally psyched to have another go at it.

MUST TALK! (don't worry, I'm not looking for a refund :)

Regards, Peter

I’m going to P.M. you if I can figure it out how on this forum or PM me,

Peter

I'm going to try to pm you, must talk

post-6964-1189151383_thumb.jpg

post-6964-1189151792_thumb.jpg

Edited by pk2

I really doubt it is the one you have, they all look the same. This one was sold to some oe no where near California and as far as I know it is still installed in his car.

Todd

TODD!!

THATS MINE!!!!

Talk to me!!!!

Bought it used from a guy in LA a couple of years ago, Had it on a lift for 3 days, just could not get one of the pipes from the sc up through to the top, Been sitting in my trunk since. Finally psyched to have another go at it.

MUST TALK! (don't worry, I'm not looking for a refund :)

Regards, Peter

I’m going to P.M. you if I can figure it out how on this forum or PM me,

Peter

I'm going to try to pm you, must talk

I really doubt it is the one you have, they all look the same. This one was sold to some oe no where near California and as far as I know it is still installed in his car.

Todd

...Here are some pics of the supercharger when I removed it from my car.

Todd,

Maybe it's not, but a tip off too me was that I'm already in possession of those the exact pics, they came with my used SC. More compelling are the very "un-factory-like hammer-bashings" on the upper half of the fat pipe coming off the back off the SC (Passenger side view). Unless this is a common mod, (or TPC hires baboons) I think it must be mine.

The story I got was the motor was bought from out of state by someone in LA who did'nt want the SC. The SC was bought by a guy who tried to fit it to a 3.2L (it wont go). He in turn sold it to me (mines a 2,5 and this presumably fits)

Regardless, do you mind if I pick your brain on or off line? I'm pretty handy with a wrench and German cars. I can't understand how or why I couldn't get this thing to fit. I'm really "re-phsyced" to make it go.

Look forward to hearing from you

Peter

Edited by pk2

Those pics are posted on this site, so anyone could download them, and I have provided them in the past to a fellow on this board who was trying to fit the supercharger to his 3.2 so it is probably him. Where he got the supercharger from I don't know. I believe the 'hammering' of the one pipe is typical, as it is a tight fit of that pipe between the frame rail and the motor as you will find out when trying to fit the system. When I was removing it I found lowering the engine by a few inches made removal of this pipe possible, so I would suggest you do the same when trying to fit it. Oh, and don't try and change the plugs after fitting the supercharger, it is impossible.

Other than that, the pictures I provided show exactly how it is mounted so if you have all the pieces and those photos it should be pretty straight forward. There was a modified fitting for the coolant hose that attaches on the front of the motor as the new routing of the longer serpentine belt will not fit with the stock hose. Also you will have to extend the wiring for the TPS and the idle valve as when the throttle body is relocated they won't reach.

Todd

Todd

...Here are some pics of the supercharger when I removed it from my car.

Todd,

Maybe it's not, but a tip off too me was that I'm already in possession of those the exact pics, they came with my used SC. More compelling are the very "un-factory-like hammer/bashing" on the upper half of the fat pipe coming off the back off the SC (Passenger side view). Unless this is a common mod, (or TPC hires baboons) I think it must be mine.

The story I got was the motor was bought from out of state by someone in LA who did'nt want the SC. The SC was bought by a guy who tried to fit it to a 3.2L (it wont go). He in turn sold it to me (mines a 2,5 and this presumably fits)

Regardless, do you mind if I pick your brain on or off line? I'm pretty handy with a wrench and German cars. I can't understand how or why I couldn't get this thing to fit.

Look forward to hearing from you

Peter

Thanks,

His names Matt and he recently sold that car. I've poured over his thread and have been in touch with him on and off over a year+ or so . He aludes to a problem he had with pipe #4,-took him 4 hours to get in. I beleive thats the one I got hung up on. There was a tube that goes from the SC up to the top of the engine which I saw no possible way to get in.

Tried emailing him a while back to get some elaboration on that problem but got no reply. Think I'll try again.

Thanks Again, Peter

As I said, lower the engine a bit, and it will go right in

Todd

Hmm

So TPC is full of it. They swore to me up and down that the kit will squeeze in without dropping the engine. I forget which tube hung me up, I just remember messing with it for hours to no avail. If you had problems with that battered tube and obviously the previous owner of mine did, I guess it’s the culprit (the one I couldn’t get in).

I dropped it at the corner garage at one point and asked them to give a try, asked them to try dropping the engine a bit…claimed they did…suspect it was pretty half hearted attempt.

How far can you lower the engine before you start stretching things out?

Thanks

P.K.

• 8 years later...