Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bad Alternator or something else?

Help!! I might have the same problem, I need some advice PLEASE.

All, my 2001 Boxster S (3.2, 6 speed) (48K miles) ba :D ttery died about a week ago. Ran to the store bought a new one. Yesterday while driving the following lights came on: ABS, Battery & Air Bag. After about 30 secs they went off and then came back on. I turned the car off, voltage metered the battery to find it hovering around 11+ volts, big drop for a new battery. I started the car, turned everything on (AC, Lights, Radio) and the car totally freaked on me. By that I mean, everything worked in slow motion, check the battery voltage and found it at a staggering 9+ volts and falling rapidly. I’m thinking alternator is going out on me but want the advice of some folks who are fellow owners. And if it is the alternator can someone tell me how hard it is to replace yourself, instructions would be nice.

Super thanks!!!!

PBXJedi

Look up the how to put the top in service mode to get at the alternator...it's covered in the Bentley! Go to autozone or other car place. put top in service mode to access alternator and let them test it for free. All the corporate car parts places do it now. If you don't own a Bentley buy one now!

Shawn

Look up the how to put the top in service mode to get at the alternator...it's covered in the Bentley! Go to autozone or other car place. put top in service mode to access alternator and let them test it for free. All the corporate car parts places do it now. If you don't own a Bentley buy one now!

Shawn

Shawn,

It will take a few days for my Bentley repair manual to get here, excellent suggestion thx.

I found out how to open the compartment and basically dissemble the incased engine. Would

you mind giving me a few steps on replacing the Alternator. I can see it on the left, behind the

passenger seat. I believe OEM is 120 amps, any brand would suggest replacing it with, Bosch, Remy etc?

Thanks,

PBXJedi

Never done an alt on my boxster, but looking at Bentley it's as easy as it looks. If you've done any alternators it's the same theory. One bolt to hold pivot and another on the slider. I'd say maybe the one idler comes off with it.

Get your parts from sunset imports. Find the link that says Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost under the quick menu. Best price on the net is going to come from these guys, otherwise you'll be paying top dollar at the local Porsche dealer. Don't know if this is a generic unit used on other auto applications.

I live in a small town where I can get an alternator rebuilt for $75 and back within a couple of days, that would be the best way to go for me. I'm guessing it's a bosche like everything else in the world. You can use the part search function at the top to to get the right number and start to search the net for retails prices for new.

Your symptoms were the some as mine. The alt, abs, and a couple of other dash lights came on and remained on after the engine started and this was with a fully charged battery.

I ended up buying a remanufactured alternator from the dealer about $650 with a refundable core charge. My old unit had a whine maybe bearings going bad, so I decided to change it out. I might have been able to just replace the voltage regulator like others have done but I figured while I'm in there I might as well do a change out.

Most of the work was getting access to the alternator. I found removing both seats gave me better access through the passenger compartment panel hatch. The change out is pretty straight forward, you remove the electrical connectors to the alt, remove serpentine belt off the alternator pulley, and two bolts. Rotating and jocking it out was fun but do-able. Just take your time. Be sure to re-connect the electrical connectors to the seats before trying to start your engine. The airbag light will come on if they are not connected and will stay on. It will require a reset by the dealer or someone who has access to OBD II computer.

The Bentley Manual was helpful with its descriptions and pictures.