Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Simple Shift Light

Can anyone please tell me how we can put a shift light in the dash or external of the dash; that does not require another instrument [besides the light-not another tach.]

Maybe a simple pin out, off of the fuse block. If I knew which fuse activated at maximum RPM, I could [might] figure out the light.

Maybe a 12V light activation for some signal to the ECU if it was tapped that would not create a grounding effect. I do not want to alter an ECU reading or incur a possible ECU burn out.

I hate hitting the Rev limiter and finding out the hard way...

I hope I made sense...

Thanks to all, ahead of time..... :clapping:

a lot of companies make shift lights for cars. you have to purchase one according to the correct amount of cylinders in your engine. i.e. they sell one for the 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and 8 cylinder cars. Autometer makes a nice shift light. You can buy the really small ones which are bright but not too noticeably when not on. they also come with covers to cover the lights so you're not always blinded when driving. some of them come with different plugs that allow you to change the time the light comes on etc... others have a knob at the rear.

To install, you remove your gauge cluster and find the ignition coil wire. or you can get to it from the distributor cap or from the ecu area if you know the correct wire. i'm sure someone on here can point you to that wire. then you just splice into it. if you know where the wire is and you are pretty handy with cars I would say it's about a 30 minute to 1hour job.

have fun and post pics~

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to install a Rev-Lite in my Boxster. I like these better than the single LED shift lights.

http://www.rev-lite.com/rev.html

While not completely necessary to drive fast, I'm still curious to see what it does in terms of being aware of what the engine is doing. I asked my mechanic this weekend if it would be easy to put in, he was like yeah, no problem. (We were both driving at Sebring this weekend at a PCA event)

Tom

• 1 year later...
I'm going to install a Rev-Lite in my Boxster. I like these better than the single LED shift lights.

http://www.rev-lite.com/rev.html

While not completely necessary to drive fast, I'm still curious to see what it does in terms of being aware of what the engine is doing. I asked my mechanic this weekend if it would be easy to put in, he was like yeah, no problem. (We were both driving at Sebring this weekend at a PCA event)

Tom

So........is there something on this Rev-lite link I'm not seeing?

Here's another SPAC Design