Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does physically using the key in the door arm/disarm alarm?

kdub

If I opt not to use my remote to lock and unlock my door, and physically stick the key in the door to lock/unlock, does my factory alarm still arm/disarm?

Also, the transponder in the key has nothing to do with the alarm right? and only for the ignition immobilizer?

Third question that's kinda related to the second one. If I buy a new key, does it need to be programmed to work with the alarm? or the programming needed is strictly for the ignition immobilizer so I can start the car?

I guess to sum up what I want to ask is, is the ignition immobilizer independant from the alarm system?

I've been reading threads after threads of cases (both here and 986forum) where people are locked out of their cars when the battery dies. This is so scary and I am afraid it will one day happen to me. Why did Porsche design the door and trunk locks by electrical only??! That is so stupid. They totally haven't given the owner a way to get into the car if and when the battery dies. Unbelievable

If I opt not to use my remote to lock and unlock my door, and physically stick the key in the door to lock/unlock, does my factory alarm still arm/disarm?

Also, the transponder in the key has nothing to do with the alarm right? and only for the ignition immobilizer?

Third question that's kinda related to the second one. If I buy a new key, does it need to be programmed to work with the alarm? or the programming needed is strictly for the ignition immobilizer so I can start the car?

I guess to sum up what I want to ask is, is the ignition immobilizer independant from the alarm system?

I've been reading threads after threads of cases (both here and 986forum) where people are locked out of their cars when the battery dies. This is so scary and I am afraid it will one day happen to me. Why did Porsche design the door and trunk locks by electrical only??! That is so stupid. They totally haven't given the owner a way to get into the car if and when the battery dies. Unbelievable

Yes, the factory alarm will arm/disarm when you use the key in the lock.

Correct, the transponder is for the immobilizer.

Yes, the key needs to be programmed to the car (immobilizer). The immobilizer is (in a way) independent of the alarm system, but both functions are contained in the same box (the alarm/locking computer under the driver's seat).

As far as the dead battery/trunk issue, you can re-route the front trunk emergency release cable to the tow hook cover so that if your battery dies, you just need to pop off the tow hook cover and pull the cable. I'm not sure if you can do this on 987s, but I'm pretty sure that you can on all 986s. I just did it on mine yesterday. This entails taking off your front bumper, which is pretty easy. While you're in there, you can clean out your radiators which probably have a ton of road debris in them. Here's a how-to: http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/R...r/Radiator.html

Edited by Chris_in_NH

Hi- the emergency trunk release cable issue has been nagging me for awhile (MY 97) but I hadn't got around to R&Ring the bumper. I tried reaching it around the fender liner but no luck so pulled out the passenger side headlight unit (USA) and the cable was coiled and taped in the pocket where the light came out of. I was able to thread it through the tow loop hole easily. I plan to shorten the cable and attaching it to a small plastic dowel that will prevent the cable from sliding out of the tow hole.

I am not as concerned about not able to get to the trunk if the battery dies, because I could use a secondary battery or a battery charger to popped it open, but I am scare of the fact I could be locked out from the car altogether when the battery dies; having read stories after stories of people not able to use the key in the door to open it. Why couldn't the door lock be fully mechanical like everyone else. I can't imagine what I will do if the car battery dies while parked somewhere in a public street and I am locked out from it.

I am not as concerned about not able to get to the trunk if the battery dies, because I could use a secondary battery or a battery charger to popped it open, but I am scare of the fact I could be locked out from the car altogether when the battery dies; having read stories after stories of people not able to use the key in the door to open it. Why couldn't the door lock be fully mechanical like everyone else. I can't imagine what I will do if the car battery dies while parked somewhere in a public street and I am locked out from it.

someone on this forum had the issue of the door lock not working (mine has been broken for years now - i just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet) and they called for roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) and they were able to unlock the door using that giant coat-hanger thing. so there *is* a way to get in if you're locked out. might be a good idea to pick up a giant coat-hanger thing. but where would you keep it? :lol:

here's that thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14541

Edited by Chris_in_NH

someone on this forum had the issue of the door lock not working (mine has been broken for years now - i just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet) and they called for roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) and they were able to unlock the door using that giant coat-hanger thing. so there *is* a way to get in if you're locked out. might be a good idea to pick up a giant coat-hanger thing. but where would you keep it? :lol:

here's that thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14541

Are you saying what I read was only an isolated case of a door lock gone bad? and that the Boxster's door can still be opened with a key-in-door even when the battery is dead? Please say it is so :)

Edited by kdub