Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Do You Remove Ignition Key Cylinder

I've removed the old ignition switch/steering lock mechanism from my '02 996 Carrera. This was so I could replace it with the upgraded model. Replacing just the ignition switch in the back didn't fully solve the problem.

Anyway, my last remaining task is to remove the ignition key cylinder from the old part so that I can put it into the new one.

How do you do that?

I read somewhere that you turn the key to position 1, stick a straightened paper clip into the little hole (the one on the upper right of the key in the silver ring surrounding the key) as far as it will go and that will supposedly free the cylinder to be pulled straight out. That's not working for me...

I'm trying to understand three things: what is the correct procedure, how far is the paper clip supposed to go in, and what are you supposed to 'feel' when you do it right?

Some notes:

--In position 1, the paper clip won't go in at all

--In position 2 (or in the 'starting' position as well), the paper clip will go in about 1-1/4", but it doesn't feel like it's actually depressing anything that would free the lock.

--I've already detached everything else--ignition switch, wires, etc.--so if those are supposed to be attached when I do this, please let me know.

Thanks for any advice.

• Admin

From the manual...

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Pull cover (collar) off the steering lock.

3. Insert ignition key and turn to position 1 (ignition on).

Insert a steel wire with a diameter of approx. 1.3 mm (max. 1.5 mm 0) into the bore next to the ignition key (arrow) as far as it will go.

Pull the lock barrel with induction coil out of the steering lock housing.

Note:

Inserting the steel wire unlocks the lock barrel in the steering lock housing.

4. Carefully unlock and separate the plug connection on the lock barrel (at the induction coil for the immobilizer).

Loren, thanks as always. It works.

One note for anyone who stumbles across this post in the future...

The little silver 'beauty ring' around the key hole can get turned 180 degrees; at least it was in my car. So the hole into which you stick the paper clip was up at the ~1 o'clock postiion instead of ~7 o'clock where it should be. That completely explains why my prior efforts in this post weren't working. After figuring out this little nugget of knowledge (some number of hours into the effort...) and following the info above, the cylinder just falls out.

Once it's out, leave the paper clip in until you put the cylinder back in. Push the cylinder in firmly, pull the paper clip, and it should be in there just right.

One other thing...use your valet key instead of your remote key. The slim head makes it a lot easier to work around.

• 11 years later...