Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front License Plate...

Many in CA do not mount a front license plate (even though it is illegal to drive w/o one). Some cars (such as the Jag XKR) do not have a "place" for it and others look odd when the plate obscures grills, etc. However, I'm warming to the idea that P-cars do have a place for it, they almost seem naked w/o a front plate. In Europe all carry one, so the car was designed for it. In my case, I also have a cool P-related plate that everyone likes, so I'm inclined to mount it on the front. What is the general consensus in this forum?

Edited by ADias

1st off, what is the plate? (curious what it says). Next, the car does and should have a front plate frame. Unless you bought the car pre-owned it should have come with the front bracket (correct me if I am wrong Loren).

Are you saying you DO NOT have the hardware for the plate or you do but just don't know if you should put it on?

Either way I am curious about the plate :jump:

Just remember, it all comes down to personal preference. The input is great from others but what you like is what matters.

.... Are you saying you DO NOT have the hardware for the plate or you do but just don't know if you should put it on?

Either way I am curious about the plate  :jump:

I do have the plate mounting bracket. I'm polling the group to get a consensus on plate yes, or plate no.

Update: I made up my mind - bumper plugs ordered from Eric...

Edited by ADias

IMHO - the car looks better without the front plate...I think most will also agree to that.

About two weeks ago, I ended up pulling my bumper plugs (as much as I like them) because I was sick of being pulled over by NJ troopers for not having front tags. I have received several warnings but had never given a ticket until recently:

I noticed I was being followed by a cruiser on municipal roads...not even close to speeding. His lights went on & we pulled off to the shoulder. What now? The officer had ran my plates, saw I had received a bunch of warnings & felt this was as good a time as any to see if I heeded any of those warnings. I hadn't.

$60 later...no bumper plugs, reinstalled front plate, and a "high" regard of "NJ's-finest" for busting my balls. :cursing:

Edited by ToblertheDog

How about something in the middle?

I have a thin, almost-europlate looking plate on the front of my Boxster and my 911 that came from my Porsche dealer.  It's a thin dealer logo plate, but it's thin like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2468761590

I don't see the point. I will only use a front plate because the law demands it. If not, no plate. I see cars w/ marque plates BMW, MB, etc... why? we already know the marque, why do we need to be reminded again? A fake euro plate? We are not in Europe. Just my 2 cents.

Just in case you move or your state changes its mind on requiring a tag in the front.

I got mine with a front plate but wanted a thin vanity plate. It's all personal preference, so to each their own. :beer: