Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cr-220cdr-220 Mp3

I also have the Becker CD changer.

Between the CR-220 and the CDR-220, which is the best unit to have in my car if I want to control the CD changer AND also have an auxiliary port handy for my IPod?

The CDR-220 looks like it has an extra connector.

Thanks Jeff!

Is this the contraption I need to connect my IPod to my CR-210's DIN port?

Phone mute/Aux audio-in/Tel audio-in/Removal keys in one kit is, 1319.116-276 ($16.40)

http://www.beckerautosound.com

(888) 423-3537 x1209

I was just reading some of your posts on the Becker Board. Man, I can spend the rest of my life tinkering...Thanks again!

• Moderators

You changed radio models. The 220 series does have an aux-in - but you can have aux-in or the changer - not both as the place on the back of the radio head for the changer connector or aux-in connector is the same spot. You cannot have 2 connectors plugged into the same spot at the same time.

The 210 series does not have an aux-in feature. The US 996 never had the 210 series. 210 was used on 1997-1998 Boxsters.

This is the aux-in connector for the 220.

post-21-1080579314_thumb.jpg

I understand the white and red pair are the RCA jacks for stereo, but what is the third cable (a second red) adapter for mute and phone options?

Is the installation as easy as it appears?

1- Pull out radio

2- Connect the blue connector to the blue connector on the Becker radio

3- Connect an RCA y-adapter to mini-stereo jack

4- Pull single wire to the MP3 player

5- Reinstall stereo

Awesome, if so.

:)

Weirdness, I have a CR-210 with a CD changer in my 99 911 C4 and a CDR-220 in my 01 Boxster S.

Is this right or did someone else already mod my car a little?

Can the CDR-220 drive my Becker CD changer?

Edited by gry

• Moderators

I thought the 996 switched over to the 220 radio in 199 since that is when it happened to the Boxster. Maybe you have an early model year 1999 - I have never seen a 210 on a 996 but there are a lot of cars I have not seen. The 1999 996 owners manual I have that was printed in January 1998 shows a 210 radio. If you see 688 on your option sticker than your 996 came with the 210.

The 210 and 220 work with the Becker 2660 changer or the Porsche CDC-3 changer.

I don't know what all the RCA jacks do. We pull the radio heads out and the owners hook up their gadgets.

This is the back of a 220. The green and blue connectors are for a changer. The aux-in connector get plugged in where the blue connector is in the picture. And that is why you cannot have a changer and the aux-in plugged in a the same time.

post-21-1080607361_thumb.jpg

Maybe this is a dumb question, but has anyone tried splicing the blue connectors together?

From the new cable, take the yellow, red, and brown(?) cable on the right-hand side and splice it in to the CD changer cables of the same color. I wouldn't connect the left-side cables because that looks like power and the CD changer cable does not have similar power cables (red and black) connected in the same position (so not to blow up your CD changer adding this connection).

This seems like a simple hack.

Anyone more electrical than me want to try this? This way you may be able to get CD changer AND Aux in. It's a good try...

EDIT: I thought about it more, the CD changer would engage and you may have Aux in, but you'll always have the CD changer going so 2 sound sources.

OK, it was a try...

Edited by gry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Any stereo experts? On the UK Boxster board rajuk was told this Sony aux-in selector would work with a Becker 32 radio head. I think the 32 is the same as our Becker 220 except the 32 has a dot matrix display.

Of course it would work with the proper Sony radio head. I would have to see it to believe it would work with a Becker radio head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...MEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

StockXA.jpg

I have heard rumors of a hack that uses an aftermarket a/b switch to splice into the audio wires coming from the cd changer. The cd changer would be one source and the iPod the other. That would allow the audio from the iPod to be heard instead of the audio from the cd changer with the cd changer selected on the head unit. I assume the aux-in connector would not be used. Has anyone tried this?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have done this on two heads and there are issues:

First off, you can't splice in the ipod to the CD Changer.

The head communicates with the CDC via the data in/out pins.

Basically these are TTL data lines (+5v) that tell the head that a CD-changer is attached. If you can;t arrange to pull the CDC data in line

high then the head simply can't see the changer. So just shoving

the shielded audio into the blue socket won't work. You also have to

trick the head into thinking the ipod is a CD Changer by pulling the

data line high. If you don't do this you can't tell the head to go use

the CD-changer.

This is not easy to explain as diagrams are required. I have almost

completed a web page for this. Maybe I will put it out tommorow if I get time.

I have been experimenting with the CR-220 with CD changer in my car.

First I removed the blue block carrying sound from the CD changer and installed the aux input ordered from Becker in its place. There are three wires in the blue block-probably right, left, and a common ground. I used 2 RCA Y-adapters (one for right and one for left) to allow input from both the CD changer and the iPod. Small blade-like adapters from a local electronics store fit into the blue block carrying sound from the CD changer. I then attached RCA connectors to the other end of the wires and an on/off switch in the middle. The ground wires I spiced together.

I can now listen to either iPod, CD changer, (or both at the same time). There is a new RPM associated hum annoying me quietly in the background when using the CD changer. If I get all the minor issues sorted out, I will post some pictures, if anyone is interested. If I cannot improve the setup, I will disconnect the CD changer, use the iPod exclusively, and either rip my audiobooks on cd to AAC or start using Audible.com.

Any advice for improvements would also be appreciated.

Greg

2001 996

Edited by Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Greg, this sounds very interesting.

Can you be a little more clear describing your wiring to the blue block.

I assume you mean you have a blue block with 2 RCA connectors and you somehow wired in your CD changer. But more details (perhaps pin numbers) would be good with detail of which wires go to which pins.

BTW: A suppressor inserted into the power line to the cd changer should remove the RPM noise.

Cheers,

Berny

My first 5/2/04 post in this topic, http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...40&pagenumber=3 , has the Becker part number and cost for the CD / telephone interface cable components. Becker sends this with the cable not yet populated into the connector, in case the connector already exists on the vehicle. The wires just push into the housing.

The Becker part also includes the wire with contact that is used to drive the mute input, for the telephone.

My first 4/10/04 post in this topic, http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...40&pagenumber=2 , has the telephone wiring for the CDR23.

My first 5/3/04 post in this topic, http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...40&pagenumber=4 , has the radio model numbers that this Becker kit supports for both telephone and auxiliary input.

This kit supports the PCM2, for mute only.

This kit supports the CDR23, for mute and telephone input, with the addition of the green connector.

This kit includes the required pin wiring information.

I would be happy to add more information. First picture is of the back of the head unit with the blue block carrying audio from the cd changer removed and the Becker aux input in its place.

post-21-1083904197_thumb.jpg

Each wire has an inner shielded wire and an outer collection of unshielded copper fibers. The ground is the outer collection and must be joined into a single wire then attached to the male spade. Each inner shielded wire gets its own male spade connector.

Here is a picture of the wires inserted into the blue block. If you have really good eyes, you can see I wired it wrong in this picture with the shielded wires joined together. (Unfortunately, my mood had soured as the project progressed and I lost interest in additional photography.)

post-21-1083905429_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg

The wire I used for this part is in the next picture. It is the one with a male connector on one side and a female on the other. I connected it to the AUX in (bottom left). I connected the iPod adapter into the female end. The male spade connector bag is in the top right of the picture.

post-21-1083905836_thumb.jpg

In the middle of the wire now connected to the CD changer (the one with the funky male/female end I placed an on-off switch. Wiring for this was also difficult as I again had to deal with a wire for ground, right and left. I just connected the right and left cables to the switch and joined the ground wires directly together.

I connected it this way because I could not find a switch for more than 2 wires. I could have used 2 switches. I don't know if it matters.

I would love any suggestions for improvement. My ability to fabricate wires is substandard. If prefabricated wires are available, please let me know. A premade kit has to be possible......

Thanks for the idea of a noise suppressor. I am going to install an on-off switch in the iPod wiring and/or the noise suppressor.

Before you do that think of doing this instead:

Go buy a Griffin car charger. Chop the charger off the end

and make a cable like the one attached. This cable connects to

the bottom of your ipod and it will switch on with the engine and

charge your ipod up as well as supply audio to the head!

When you chop the head off the charger, you will see shielding cables

and some wires. Tie all the shielding cables together with the black wire.

This single line becomes ground. The red wire is ignition switched 12v and has the supressor attached. The ground goes to the other side of the suppressor. It is important to obtain an isolating suppressor (see photo). The audio wires are yellow for right and green for left.

The other wires should be taped up and they are not used.

Here's some pics:

106_0602.JPG

And the cable I made with suppressor attached:

104_0465.JPG

Nice innovation! It is convenient that the iPod runs on 12v.

The iPod sounds fine in my car. The CD changer has the backgound noise. I assume the noise suppressor is still installed in the iPod power supply and ground wires.

Yes, 12v it is. This became obvious to me when I measured 12v coming out the Griffin iPod car charger. Very convenient.

I just recently put in a Blaupunkt Sat Nav/Radio/CD system. Prior to this

I had a Kenwood head and I made the cable above to attach to the

kenwood Aux input adapter (CA-C1AX). This worked brilliantly.

Looking at this Aux input adaptor cable in detail I can see a simple

diode/resistor inserted into the cable. The idea is that the cable tricks the Kenwood head into thinking a CD changer is attached and so it is selectable from the menus.

However, I can't get the iPod to work similarly with my new Blaupunkt

SatNav head and Blaupunkt do not apparently have an Aux input

adapter solution. It has something to do with the communications

protocol (called Unilink) used by the Blaupunkt CD changer.

There's a web site dedicated to this "unilink" problem:

http://www.cus.org.uk/~cleggy/index.htm

Anyway, back to the suppressor: yes it is installed in the supply wires to

the ipod (as seen in the picture above).