Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S Brakes On A Base Boxster

As I sit here and dream about adding a 3.4L engine to my 98 Boxster, I think of what else I could do to improve its performance on the track. Probably add a third radiator, and definitely bigger brakes.

I notice the Pelican parts sells a kit for $3000 that basically includes Boxster S calipers and rotors for a base Boxster. So I ask myself, why can't I just buy calipers off a wrecked Boxster S and new rotors and do the same thing? Are there any issues with mounting the new calipers?

I figure buying my own stuff would cut the cost at least in half.

Thanks.

The calipers fit but the rear rotors are different as the e-brake is not the same size. You need to machine them or get special rotors for the rear. The fronts you can swap out without any issues. IMHO the brake upgrade is not needed unless you are seeing brake fade issues on the track. If you can ABS the brakes on the track then brake size is not the problem. There is some benefit for heat dissipation but not much else. Also the holes in the S rotors make them more vulnerable to cracking. Also they weigh more.

Third radiator. If your car is hitting the 250 temperature mark consistently then the third radiator MAY help. I say may as the person that I know that has done it still had overheating problems. Granted this was on a 95 degree day at 4000 ft (Streets of Willows, 2000 boxster tiptronic). That is also the only time that I ever hit the 250 mark (98 boxster). If you do it, it of course adds weight and you have to change the front bumper cover. If you are not hitting the 250 mark consistently I would not bother. Here is a data point: the base 996 with either the 3.4 or 3.6 engine does not use a third radiator.

I do not mean to preach or sound like a jerk because I do not mean this comment in a bad way but before you mod up your car you should invest the money in more track time/schools. That will improve your performance far more than bigger brakes or whatever and will be improvements that you will carry with you no matter what car you drive.

I say this because I wanted to do all sorts of stuff to my '99 but after getting some seat time I discovered that the limits and capabilities of a bone stock Boxster are well beyond my skill level at this point so I need to become a better driver first. This is made abundantly clear when better drivers in "lesser" cars can drive circles around you.

Maybe you do have tons of track time but for me, this is the best revelation I have had in terms of driving performance enhancement.

I actually have quite a bit of track driving under my belt, but, in regards to brakes, I'm thinking more in terms of safety. If I do get a 3.4L engine, that means that my Boxster can basically go as fast as a 996. I happen to think that if a Boxster can go as fast as a 996, it ought to brake as well as a 996. I've also heard that if you want to track a 3.4L Boxster, it's generally a good idea to have a third radiator.

I agree with you, though. Most people change a lot of things (suspension, spring plates, etc.) to make their cars faster, when more seat time is what would make them faster. I understand that, but I'm not sure that investing in bigger brakes and better cooling falls into that category.

Go faster, stop faster. I get it. Maybe in the meantime while you plot your big engine conversion you could just try some new track pads, stainless steel lines, and race brake fluid. I know it's not the whole package you want but it might help you feed the need to tinker while giving you improved braking. A rode shotgun with a friend of mine at Buttionwillow who did that with his M5 and darn did that thing stop hard; so hard his stock tires couldn't keep up.

I'll be interested to see what you wind up doing caliper/rotor wise. Those Big Reds do look impressive.

Edited by Kevin369

I was gonna do the boxster S brake upgrade for my 3.4 boxster, I got my hands on the rear calipers and spacers to do the upgrade from racing technologies but dont have the time/$$$ to do the upgrade right now. The companies who sell the brake upgrade kits dont like selling the rear rotors and spacers by themselves as they get more for the kit and everything else is stock porsche. If anybody wants them, ill let them go at $600 which is less than i paid.

• 3 weeks later...

My thread is also kicking around here, but I just upgraded my stock brakes to Boxster S brakes on my 97.

Total time for the conversion was about 4.5 hours

I got the kit from Suncoast for $1,550 on eBay. Ric at Suncoast has said he CANNOT offer the kit to anyone at the same price, but can come close. He can be reached at 877-923-1700, opt 2.

I don't have an affiliation with Suncoast, I just enjoy their great service attitude.

1750.jpg

Edited by Gundo

I also wanted to add, they use a group called Race Technologies to make up the kits. The rears come with specially machined rotors and two little spacers for the each caliper.

The set-up went one easily with just one minor snafu.

mrmickeymouse,

the spacers were really just 1/8 thick flat aluminum squares with holes drilled in them for the caliper bolts to pass through - could be very easily made at home.

the rotors are another story - as chboxster points out, they are machined to some sort of tolerance....

I got the kit from Suncoast for $1,550 on eBay.  Ric at Suncoast has said he CANNOT offer the kit to anyone at the same price, but can come close.  He can be reached at 877-923-1700, opt 2.

I've been trying to get a price from Ric at Suncoast for a few days. He just emailed me and said his best price is $2999 + S&H. Come close???? :huh: That's not exactly my idea of coming close.

I can buy the same Racing Technologies 894.5986R kit here for $2695.

CH.....I'm still considering buying your kit, but I haven't decided if I want to buy new or semi-used.

Bummer he can't do any better than $3K. I can tell you though, the upgrade is totally worth it - now that I have broken them in, I've been able to test their limits - and the braking is definitely more effective than with stock. A really tremendous improvement.

I've been trying to get a price from Ric at Suncoast for a few days.  He just emailed me and said his best price is $2999 + S&H.  Come close???? :huh: That's not exactly my idea of coming close.

geez...close to half......i spent 2800 on all my stuff