Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Cayenne S (changing Air Filters

Has anyone changed the air filters on the 4.5 v8? and if so can anyone help me out so i dont mess this up? I want to change to the K&N filters and when i was checking out the air boxes i figured i would ask first.

Thanks

I haven't tried it, but I've heard mixed reviews. I don't think they really give you the increase in power that they promise, and they do reduce the ability to filter particulate debris from the intake air. I think there's some risk there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Has anyone changed the air filters on the 4.5 v8? and if so can anyone help me out so i dont mess this up? I want to change to the K&N filters and when i was checking out the air boxes i figured i would ask first.

Thanks

I wouldn't mess with K&N, since they have been reported to mess up your MAF. Not worth it since there's no real performance gain.

I would buy a pair of OEM Touareg V8 filters cheap from VW dealership (same parts as ones on Cayenne, and follow Mudman2's instructions:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...&hl=mudman2

(check out his gallery for photos).

I have had racing filters in mine for 50k miles. I have cleaned them twice, with no issues. Purists seem to hate them but I like them.

Thanks

I wouldn't mess with K&N, since they have been reported to mess up your MAF. Not worth it since there's no real performance gain.

I would buy a pair of OEM Touareg V8 filters cheap from VW dealership (same parts as ones on Cayenne, and follow Mudman2's instructions:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...&hl=mudman2

(check out his gallery for photos).

I considered K&N filter as well, but decided to stay away after reading a lot about these filters. I decided to change filter more often as the OEM filters are not that expensive. IMHO, stay away from filters like K&N mainly because based on my understanding, K&N might increase the dust flowing in which will cause more wear in the future. If you remove the air filter, you may see the power increase, but obviously air filter is required, so how else do you increase air flowing in? Well, one way is to block less air, which in return may bring more dust. I think that engineers at Porsche know about different types of filters and know how to increase power (power is the war among car manufacturers these days:)) without affecting anything else. I know that a lot of times they have to make adjustments or compromise for an average driver and city conditions. If they wanted, they could have either created or installed K&N or similar filter in their $60k+ cars (as the cost of the filter is negligible compared to the car cost, and increasing $100 car price would not affect customers from purchasing it), but they must have considered other factors like engine life, reliability, performance, maintenance, etc (I am not saying that they use the best parts all the time, yes there are parts that can be changed to increase life, reliability, and performace but not always do those parts work well enough and not all those performance parts reduce reliability either). Also, for racing car filters, you don't have to worry about engine life as you want to get the max performace and driving it for a few hours may not kill the engine due to the filter whereas in our daily driving, we need more reliability and longer engine life yet, we need performance and driving fun. That is what Porsche delivers. Again, just my opinion, and I am sure a lot of people will agree and disagree, and I welcome all comments/suggestions as I want to learn more:)

Thanks

Dan

OH my poor demented friend you are working on the basis of Porsche is the lets give money away to provide value for money company instead of the reality of Porsche who will cut corners on every occasion to make more money. They hide cheap stuff where you cannot see it. Why would they approve alternative filters ?

I think the PAG your talking about died 30 years ago.

I considered K&N filter as well, but decided to stay away after reading a lot about these filters. I decided to change filter more often as the OEM filters are not that expensive. IMHO, stay away from filters like K&N mainly because based on my understanding, K&N might increase the dust flowing in which will cause more wear in the future. If you remove the air filter, you may see the power increase, but obviously air filter is required, so how else do you increase air flowing in? Well, one way is to block less air, which in return may bring more dust. I think that engineers at Porsche know about different types of filters and know how to increase power (power is the war among car manufacturers these days:)) without affecting anything else. I know that a lot of times they have to make adjustments or compromise for an average driver and city conditions. If they wanted, they could have either created or installed K&N or similar filter in their $60k+ cars (as the cost of the filter is negligible compared to the car cost, and increasing $100 car price would not affect customers from purchasing it), but they must have considered other factors like engine life, reliability, performance, maintenance, etc (I am not saying that they use the best parts all the time, yes there are parts that can be changed to increase life, reliability, and performace but not always do those parts work well enough and not all those performance parts reduce reliability either). Also, for racing car filters, you don't have to worry about engine life as you want to get the max performace and driving it for a few hours may not kill the engine due to the filter whereas in our daily driving, we need more reliability and longer engine life yet, we need performance and driving fun. That is what Porsche delivers. Again, just my opinion, and I am sure a lot of people will agree and disagree, and I welcome all comments/suggestions as I want to learn more:)

Thanks

Dan

I am totally against paying extra for something that is no reasonable) I am not saying that you pay more to Porsche, what I meant was that if they are willing to offer something better, people will probably pay for it if it is not too much. And I did mentionsee that they don't use best parts all the time. And yes business has to make money as well. I have been looking for mods for my Cayenne S as well as you probably know since you answered some of my questions, but not all mods are as good they sound, and even if they are, not always, but sometimes there is a compromise for it. For K&N filters, the compromise could be engine life, and for irridium spark plugs, it could be something else. So you just have to decide what you are willing to compromise if any. I think Porsche deliver thier cars with a lot of compromises, some for business reasons (no demand, or market value), some for technical reasons (meaning it is not going to help technically or it is not possible), or both (where technically it is possible, but biz perspective does not make sense). Just make sure your car does not get hurt due to techincal ones.

Thanks

Dan

Good points

:-)

I am totally against paying extra for something that is no reasonable) I am not saying that you pay more to Porsche, what I meant was that if they are willing to offer something better, people will probably pay for it if it is not too much. And I did mentionsee that they don't use best parts all the time. And yes business has to make money as well. I have been looking for mods for my Cayenne S as well as you probably know since you answered some of my questions, but not all mods are as good they sound, and even if they are, not always, but sometimes there is a compromise for it. For K&N filters, the compromise could be engine life, and for irridium spark plugs, it could be something else. So you just have to decide what you are willing to compromise if any. I think Porsche deliver thier cars with a lot of compromises, some for business reasons (no demand, or market value), some for technical reasons (meaning it is not going to help technically or it is not possible), or both (where technically it is possible, but biz perspective does not make sense). Just make sure your car does not get hurt due to techincal ones.

Thanks

Dan