Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I looked at the Evo (VF-engineering, centrifugal type, $15k installed), the TPC racing (roots type, $14k installed), and the RUF SC kit (centrifugal, $27k installed) modifications. I had to eliminate the RUF kit, since it was out of my price range. But it, along with the EVO SC did not seem to produce as much torque as the TPC SC kit did.. I'm thinking I want to maximize torque, especially for a tiptronic.

So, has anyone out there had experience with any of these kits installed on a 997S? With or without tip?

Am I crazy to do a modification like this with a car still under factory warranty AND a CPO warranty from Porsche?

Lastly, the TPC kit looks difficult to install - especially for a tiptronic. Does enyone think it is worth it? I need help in deciding what to do. I want more power, but want to keep the 997S..

I looked at the Evo (VF-engineering, centrifugal type, $15k installed), the TPC racing (roots type, $14k installed), and the RUF SC kit (centrifugal, $27k installed) modifications. I had to eliminate the RUF kit, since it was out of my price range. But it, along with the EVO SC did not seem to produce as much torque as the TPC SC kit did.. I'm thinking I want to maximize torque, especially for a tiptronic.

So, has anyone out there had experience with any of these kits installed on a 997S? With or without tip?

Am I crazy to do a modification like this with a car still under factory warranty AND a CPO warranty from Porsche?

Lastly, the TPC kit looks difficult to install - especially for a tiptronic. Does enyone think it is worth it? I need help in deciding what to do. I want more power, but want to keep the 997S..

I had the EVO SC installed on my TIP and works great. I had the install done by EVOMS in Tempe because a not so qualified installer screwed up the DME programming. In any case, it is a huge difference. Just make sure you have a EVOMS recommedned installer.

post-17400-1192544567_thumb.jpg

Edited by hjacobs2000

You asked if you were crazy and often just the fact that you ask a question implies you feel that way. You have a fairly new car with 6 years of warranty on it. Usually people don't worry much about basic items, they worry about the big ones like the Engine (#1) and the Transmission (#2). And what are you hoping to gain? A half a second off the 0-60?

At least with Ruf they provide their own warranty, so that right there should make you really look into what it is they do that makes their product more expensive than the others. Perhaps 1/2 of the difference is actual labor and materials (they do quite a bit more than just slap on a SC), and perhaps the other 1/2 of the premium is in fact an internal insurance / warranty premium.

I don't know enough about SCs to be able to balance the risk vs. reward. But adding one to a basically new car under warranty doesn't feel right to me. I've been enjoying my 997S on the track and street since March and have no desire for more power -- there's plenty there. If you are looking for something more moderate, consider a set of headers, cats, and mufflers, and perhaps software. Per my research, these don't negate warranty and change the personality of the car significantly. I've seen significant gains on the track and the sound is intoxicating. My purpose was not power, but rather introducing the ability to hear the car at speed on the track, opening up the flow a bit, improving throttle response and engine revs, etc. All accomplished with a nice boost to HP and TQ.

You asked if you were crazy and often just the fact that you ask a question implies you feel that way. You have a fairly new car with 6 years of warranty on it. Usually people don't worry much about basic items, they worry about the big ones like the Engine (#1) and the Transmission (#2). And what are you hoping to gain? A half a second off the 0-60?

At least with Ruf they provide their own warranty, so that right there should make you really look into what it is they do that makes their product more expensive than the others. Perhaps 1/2 of the difference is actual labor and materials (they do quite a bit more than just slap on a SC), and perhaps the other 1/2 of the premium is in fact an internal insurance / warranty premium.

I don't know enough about SCs to be able to balance the risk vs. reward. But adding one to a basically new car under warranty doesn't feel right to me. I've been enjoying my 997S on the track and street since March and have no desire for more power -- there's plenty there. If you are looking for something more moderate, consider a set of headers, cats, and mufflers, and perhaps software. Per my research, these don't negate warranty and change the personality of the car significantly. I've seen significant gains on the track and the sound is intoxicating. My purpose was not power, but rather introducing the ability to hear the car at speed on the track, opening up the flow a bit, improving throttle response and engine revs, etc. All accomplished with a nice boost to HP and TQ.

Thanks for your perspective. I have not tracked the car, but maybe will sometime. I have done headers, mufflers, intake, and ECU modifications already. I still think, in general the NA 991 series are somewhat underpowered. And frankly, having more power available with the beauty and preciseness on the 911 series is very attractive to me. It may be crazy - but I think I'm not any crazier than a 996TT (or 997TT) owner wanting 600 or 700Hp.

However I have always been amazed how Porsche efficiently uses the HP their engines make to get them to go very fast, and quickly. I had a 1976 911S Targa (back in 1977/1978) and even though it was only 167HP (crank) it hauled butt..

I do agree than RUF does a lot more than the other companies with their SC kit, particularly on the intake side. Thanks all!