Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

got my alignment after springs install....

no rub whatsoever. thats why i was asking about the numbers, as they said that this was the best they can get it to factory, and since its lowered the camber cant be adjusted any more out because tires would hit the fenders.

so i suppose, some fender rolling would accommodate some more slack, but not sure

The car looks good after the lowering. The specs look OK...just a little surprised they couldn't be closer side to side (unless they did this to compensate for the driver). I run around neg 1.5* in the front and neg 2.6* in the rear of my '02 S after installing H&R sports. It is true upon lowering, you'll never get back close to factory specs. Just expect a little more rapid tire wear on the inside due to the increased neg camber.

Edited by jmatta

• 2 weeks later...
no rub whatsoever. thats why i was asking about the numbers, as they said that this was the best they can get it to factory, and since its lowered the camber cant be adjusted any more out because tires would hit the fenders.

so i suppose, some fender rolling would accommodate some more slack, but not sure

Djomlas, the car is looking great. My opinion on the alignment - well the front doesn't look too bad. I dropped my 2000 S with Gemballa springs and I'm running about 1.0 negative camber in the front. My car was about 2.4 negative camber in the back, but I wasn't happy with that. I took it back to the shop and they worked on it some more and finally got it to 2.0 negative in the rear. I think it's tricky on lowered Boxsters to get the camber right without compromising toe. If you're not happy with the alignment, then you may want to consider taking it to a professional Porsche shop or race shop...

BTW, stupid me - I went through some hassle (but no cost) getting the car aligned a second time to get more of that negative rear camber out. Then tonight UPS delivered some new 18" wheels for me to replace my stock 17s. Wouldn't you know it... I've got a rub problem in the rear on the fender! Now I wish I had a little bit of extra negative camber back there! :P So with your larger wheels, maybe you should simply count your blessings that you don't have a rub problem and leave the alignment as it is.

As for me, do you think I can take my car back to the shop for another alignment? After the grief I gave them I just don't think I can do that. I'm going to look into getting the rear fenders rolled. <_<

Kirk

Hi.. where did you get your Gemballa springs and how much did they run?

Was it just a simple swap or did you encounter difficulties? I've got a 2001 S and am thinking

about the same swap.

obliged,

Stefan

I got mine on eBay from Marietta Tire in Marietta, Georgia. Sniped the auction and got them cheap - brand new. :D I'd just keep my eyes open and see what pops up.

I wouldn't call it a "simple" swap. You'll need some spring compressors and a 7 mm allen wrench (not very common size). The best directions for the front are here on Renntech in the 996 section. The rears are the real pain in the arse.

Kirk