Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission cooling unit (2004 Cayenne S)

Has anyone experienced (or heard of) problems with the transmission cooling unit? My 2004 Cayenne S developed a leak in the unit. The service advisor said that it was probably the result of something being kicked up from the road. Not sure how that can happen since there were no marks on the grill and there is a plate under the front end of the car. The stone or whatever would have to have the same charatersitics as the JFK magic bullet theory. At any rate, teh service advisor says that this probably will not be covered by the waranty

Its completely possible something from the road got kicked up and hit the transmission fluid cooler. Guys with 996s and 997s have problems with rocks hitting the condenser and loosing their A/C. Its just a fact of life that you have to hang coolers like these out where fresh air can get to them and along with that comes the fact that debris might hit them. Its no different than if a rock hit and cracked the windshield. Its not Porsche's fault, if you're unlucky it just happens.

Ours has the same leak. wasn;t sure what it was until they said it was the transmission cooling pipe, and of course warranty co.,does not cover it. they said they have to drop the engine to get access to it and change it. Something like $1600 or so to repair. Sounds like it could be a common problem and PCNA should be picking up the tabs. fill a report with the NHTSA and see what happens! I am taking mine to an indy shop, to see if anything else can be done.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm not sure what the cooler is made from but chances are it's a composite of plastic tank and aluminium core. I doubt it is repairable and recommend you get a second opinion and if it is the cooler try shopping at a auto wrecker.

• 1 year later...

I found that one of the supply tubes on mine has been rubbing and leaking for awhile. 77500 miles on a 2005 turbo.

The tube rubs against the radiator and in my case was made worse when I replaced a missing bolt in the thermostat that anchors it to the radiator.

The original tubes and cooler are no longer available.

new tubes and cooler any where from $435 to $800 depending on your supplier.

I'll get pictures as I try to get the parts in and submit my hopefully successful results.

I'm not dropping the engine. I'm trying from the front with the bumper cover off.

I tend to be very fanatical when it comes to using OE parts for maintenance and repairs. That said, after reading your post if I understand correctly the trans cooler mounted to the radiator has developed a leak. My advice in the absence of an original replacement part is to either have it repaired at a radiator shop or to use a generic trans cooler assembly. A few hose clamps and you'd be good. The only challenge is figuring out the thermostat.