Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

97' turn lights won't go off

scothut

I have a 97' C2 cab. When I parked it today I realized the right turn lights won't go off even when the key is turned off. Also the right blinkers are not working and the arrow indicator in the gauge stays on. I've had to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining. Any help would be appreciated and hopefully save me a trip to my shop.

I have a 97' C2 cab. When I parked it today I realized the right turn lights won't go off even when the key is turned off. Also the right blinkers are not working and the arrow indicator in the gauge stays on. I've had to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining. Any help would be appreciated and hopefully save me a trip to my shop.

One possibility is the ubiquitous ignition switch. It's usually the cause of otherwise unexplained electrical gremlins such as various items remaining on when the key is turned off.

Inexpensive part and relatively easy DIY if you have decent contortionist skills and your hands are not too big.

Take a look at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages for a general idea of what you are up against if it turns out to be the ignition switch. I know yours is a MY97 C2 cab but it's either the same or very close : http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/ignitionswitchreplacement

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for those tips. I have turned off the lights completely but still have the driving lights on the right side staying on even after the key is removed. Could it be a relay switch or fuse or maybe something in the steering column related to the turn signal lever?

Edited by scothut

Thanks for those tips. I have turned off the lights completely but still have the driving lights on the right side staying on even after the key is removed. Could it be a relay switch or fuse or maybe something in the steering column related to the turn signal lever?

If it's not the ignition switch, do you possibly have the headlight switch pulled out (towards the rear of the car) one click and turned one click to the left (CCW) of the off position? That will cause the passenger's (right) side driving and parking lights to remain on (both front and rear), even with the key out of the ignition.

If you don't have the headlight switch pulled out one click, but are still getting this, then consider the possibility that your headlight switch itself is faulty.

Regards, Maurice.

If it's not the ignition switch, do you possibly have the headlight switch pulled out (towards the rear of the car) one click and turned one click to the left (CCW) of the off position? That will cause the passenger's (right) side driving and parking lights to remain on (both front and rear), even with the key out of the ignition.

If you don't have the headlight switch pulled out one click, but are still getting this, then consider the possibility that your headlight switch itself is faulty.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for that info. Maurice. I think your right about the headlight knob position. After I reconnected the battery the problem went away so I called my shop and they told me the problem was the European parking lights were activated. I didn't even know that this existed. He said it's for Europeans (who park on the left side) to alert other drivers when their parked by leaving just the right side driving lights on. Interesting. The only problem was when I tried to activate them again the knob simply popped off in my hand when i pulled it. Is there a trick to activating them?

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for that info. Maurice. I think your right about the headlight knob position. After I reconnected the battery the problem went away so I called my shop and they told me the problem was the European parking lights were activated. I didn't even know that this existed. He said it's for Europeans (who park on the left side) to alert other drivers when their parked by leaving just the right side driving lights on. Interesting. The only problem was when I tried to activate them again the knob simply popped off in my hand when i pulled it. Is there a trick to activating them?

Scot:

There is not trick to activating the parking lights on one side, other than to not pull the headlight knob so hard that it will come off. Just pull the knob one click and then turn it CCW to first activate the passenger's (right) side light, and then CCW again (another click) for the driver's side.

If the knob comes off completely, just to put your mind at ease that you have solved the problem, grab the shaft that the knob is mounted onto with a suitable tool and try to operate it that way. If it checks out, you will only have to replace the knob if you want to be able to activate that feature.

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 years later...

Guys, had the same problem after replacing the turn light in the headlight assembly. Put it all back together and got no turn signal (didn't touch that light) on the passenger's side. Removed the headlamp assembly to check my work, and turned off the car. Passenger side lights stayed on. Baffled me, 'til I found this. However, this didn't solve my problem. What DID solve it was much less expensive. put the darn headlight assembly back in the car and make sure it was snug. Then start the car. When I did both of these, everything worked perfectly. This was on an '06 Cayenne S. Thought it was worth mentioning.

Tony