Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Missing the obvious on B&M

Hey All,

Really hope its not as obvious as i think it will be! Just got my B&M kit in the post and preped myself ready for fitting it. I bought the 9x6 werks DVD's to help me along so i thought i was all ready to go. I go to remove the shift but i don't have a set screw? In the instructions it mentions that some shifts don't have on and to use clamps on the lever collar, but all is perfectly round rubber collar which when i try and twist off doesn't budge.

Anyway got any idea's, i think i have the Tequipment leather shift knob. I am sure its gonna be pretty obvious but i don't want to mess it up!

Thanks

Only the aluminum/leather and CF/leather knobs have a set screw.

If there is no set screw then you have a twist off knob. Best to put the top down and pull harder. Be careful to not hit yourself it the face too.

Just pull directly up or twist as well? - really appreciate your help Loren

• Moderators

The standard shift knob does not have a set screw, only the optional knobs. It is easy to see the set screw if there is one.

The standard knob is just a friction fit. You pull like heck to get it off, and if it does not pull off then you pull harder.

post-4-1195848448_thumb.jpg

Hey All,

Really hope its not as obvious as i think it will be! Just got my B&M kit in the post and preped myself ready for fitting it. I bought the 9x6 werks DVD's to help me along so i thought i was all ready to go. I go to remove the shift but i don't have a set screw? In the instructions it mentions that some shifts don't have on and to use clamps on the lever collar, but all is perfectly round rubber collar which when i try and twist off doesn't budge.

Anyway got any idea's, i think i have the Tequipment leather shift knob. I am sure its gonna be pretty obvious but i don't want to mess it up!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the help - i think mine must have been Gorilla Glued on! Finally got it off by putting it into reverse then sitting in the passenger seat, bracing my feet against the floor and pulling like hell (didn't hit myself in the face either!!)

The B&M makes a hell of a difference - very pleased. On with the next mod.....

Thanks everyone, hope you all had a good thanksgiving.

M

Glad you werre able to remove it. I yanked on mine to the point where I thought it would never come off; I pictured the knob embedded in my forehead. The B&Ms are a wonderful addition to the car. Everytime I drive another Boxster or 996, I think this poor sucker doesn't know what they're missing.