Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hey loren, what's your opinion re: X51 option?

• Admin

IMHO Yes. Here is why I think so...

The X51 beefs up the engine, oil system and cooling. Here is a short list:

- new intake manifold with modified cross-section (material: sand cast aluminium );

- new intake pipe supports adapted to the form of the intake manifold;

- new exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behavior;

- new cylinder heads with optimized, CNC-milled inlet ducts;

- new camshafts with larger valve stroke on the inlet side and modified inlet and outlet timing;

- inlet valve springs adapted to the enlarged valve stroke;

- modified partition box in the oil pan;

- modified maps for the DME control module.

- new underside panel in the transmission area;

- additional radiator in connection with modified front spoiler, except on the 911 Carrera 4S (996).

or you could always go with the new GT3 where you get the base for the R and RS racer cars... or better yet a cup car ;) wait I guess that is not streetable... darn :rolleyes:

Guest Colm Campbell

I can't comment on the super charging issue (don't know anything about it) but with regards to the X51 package a few thoughts...

Some say it is only 25 extra HP, and for the additional $13K you could do a lot better in the after market, or alternately it is not worth the extra $$, i.e. it's too expensive for what you get.

I bought the X 51 package and I think it is worth every penny, the cars is faster and more responsive. And, it feels like a whole more than 25HP. With Porsche you can't always look at the paper statistics to judge the impact of the changes/upgrades. I discount greatly those opinions that are formed purely from an "armchair" perspective.

I have owned many Porsches, and engine performance-wise on this one is superb, better than my previous 996 and significantly different from the 03 I compared, on a back to back basis.

Try comparing both for yourself. I'm confident that you will notice a significant difference.

The major reason not to buy this package, for anyone, would be because the additional $$ fall outside the allowable (and not insignificant) budget. That doesn't mean that it's not worth it!

Having said all that, I will probably trade my X51 for a GT3, because more is more!

Thanks Colm and Loren. The GT3 is not an option because I'm a cab guy. I'm thinking the same thing you are Loren with respect to using the X51 to make the car more receptive to the increased power from the SC from a durability standpoint. Does the X51 sound better given the exhaust manifolds are diff?

Guest Colm Campbell

I have the Porsche Sport Exhaust on my car, and I really like it. Not an option I would normally have considered; but when I went to the PDE in Alabama all the cars there were equipped with them, and on the track they sounded great!