Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 TT Tipronic Problem PLEASE HELP!

drrac2

I recently purchased a 2002 996 TT Tip. I have been having an intermittent problem that the dealer (Paul Miller Porsche) is unable to identify. The problem is intermittent and seems to act up if the car has been sitting for a couple of days.

When I am at highway speed in automatic mode (usually 5th gear), and I drive on an offramp and decelerate the cars does not downshift appropriately, and when I accelerate again there is a metal rattle that comes from the rear of the car. The rattle sounds like clanking aluminum drum sticks together. This only happens occasionally, and never when the dealer has the car. The rattle will stop if I manually downshift the car into the correct gear.

The car also seems to have a persistent low grade vibration, that is worse on cold starts.

The dealer says that there is nothing wrong with the car. The car has been aligned twice.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Are 2002 Tips known to have problems?

Please help!!!!!!

32K on the car.

Dealer has done nothing to the tranny so far. They claim that they can find nothing wrong???????

How many miles on the car?

What has the dealer done to the Tip so far?

Changed the fluid?

Read the diagnostic codes?

Any parts replaced?

Reprogrammed the Tip controller?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2001 996TT that does a couple of things:

1) when accelerating in a higher gear [manual shift mode] there is a rattling sound coming from the rear of the car [most noticeable in close confines]. It sounds more like a loose heat shield or panel.

2) since buying the car I have noticed that the auto torque converter lockup 'hunts' more often, unlocking and locking when your having a quiet moment driving the car, you'd swear that the transmission has shifted but it hasn't just the tranny has unlocked and then locked.

The car has been into Porsche and they tell me there is a TSB out on a similar auto problem which causes noises and lockup. They say it is symptomatic of driving the car calmly, however I drive quite hard so not sure about that comment. Anyways they are replacing the transmission ECU under warranty.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Following up on the tip problem, OPC have changed out the tip control module which has improved changes and tip lockup and unlock.

However the tip still produces a 'rattling' sound from the front of the tranny when running in third gear with little engine load, like when your loafing in the traffic in third. So the story goes they are replacing the tranny which includes transaxle and tranfer case under warranty next week.

Make sure you work your OPC to ensure the problem is resolved.

Scott