Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hot smell from my 996

I just picked up a 2003 996 C2 coupe with 27,000 miles. I notice that if I drive it more that 20 minutes or so that there is a hot smell from the rear of the car when I get out. It only lasts a very short time and it almost smells like hot brakes but also a little like burnt oil. There are no apparent leaks at all and all else is fantastic in this car. I wonder if this is common or if I should get the car to a dealer. All service is current and the car is under the Porsche Certified Warranty porgram. However, my closest dealer is over 100 miles away and if this is common, or no issue I will not bother. All temps seem normal on the guages.

Thanks for any info you can share on this.

I just picked up a 2003 996 C2 coupe with 27,000 miles. I notice that if I drive it more that 20 minutes or so that there is a hot smell from the rear of the car when I get out. It only lasts a very short time and it almost smells like hot brakes but also a little like burnt oil. There are no apparent leaks at all and all else is fantastic in this car. I wonder if this is common or if I should get the car to a dealer. All service is current and the car is under the Porsche Certified Warranty porgram. However, my closest dealer is over 100 miles away and if this is common, or no issue I will not bother. All temps seem normal on the guages.

Relax, Its a common smell and you are not the first to raise it (and probably not the last) They all smell like that!

RB

Relax, Its a common smell and you are not the first to raise it (and probably not the last) They all smell like that!

RB

Thanks, It almost smells like perhaps it is from the emergency brake slightly dragging though it rolls quite freely when I put the clutch in. There could still be a little contact that could cause the smell. I mostly seems like a hot brake smell but goes away quickly. Most of the cars that I drove when I was shopping seemed to have this hot smell to some degree.

The smells can drive you crazy on a 996. I came from a deadly quiet non-smell 740i, the 996 was like "what the %$^*!! smells. Had the car inspected and it was all perfect. Watch your coolant leve for sure, but eventually I got used to it.

The smells can drive you crazy on a 996. I came from a deadly quiet non-smell 740i, the 996 was like "what the %$^*!! smells. Had the car inspected and it was all perfect. Watch your coolant leve for sure, but eventually I got used to it.

I''m very new to my 996, it smells like burning rubber - previous owner says it has always smelled like that. Is that what you describe?

Danny

Many people notice a hot smell from rubber particles from the tires

that have worn off and been thrown back onto the mufflers or heat shields.

I get this smell very noticeably more when stopping immediately after

having roared through some of my favorite twisties.

But this smell is very clearly a tire rubber smell and no confused

with oil or coolant.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I''m very new to my 996, it smells like burning rubber - previous owner says it has always smelled like that. Is that what you describe?

Danny

I have been hunting down a smell I had associated with my tires rubbing, but they were not, I thought maybe it was them cambering in as my suspension is tuned and it has a stout camber, the tires were found to be cool and without issues of rubbing or grinding. I will be knee deep replacing the RMS, clutch, and other goodies in the next couple of weeks and I'll see if there is something out of sight causing this. Good Luck with it. I have not had an issue from it in the 2.5 years I have been looking for it. So who knows.